Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #46
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yelling Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaring Eagle View Post
When I don't get it first thing in the morning focus/spend time with Jesus, before kids get up, then I'm not so patient.
I need to try this...but I loooove sleeping in to the very last minute, and cuddling with my kids in bed in the mornings. It's definitely more important that I start my day out right though. I suppose that means I need to go to bed earlier, too, which means it's cutting out some of my "me" time that I treasure and try to stretch as long as possible before I drop dead from exhaustion around 1am.
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mollobe For This Useful Post:
Cook (11-06-2011), nanookmama (11-06-2011), WalkByFaith (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #47
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I think yelling is forcing people to hear your side since my triggers seem to be when people are being particularly dismissive of how I might feel about something. Mommy might not like having crackers smashed into the carpet - if it's a thought they're not willing to have on their own, it's so tempting to force those words into their heads.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (11-10-2011), kwisie (11-05-2011), mommy2ella (01-25-2012), Peridot (12-07-2011), Tandem mama (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #48
WalkByFaith
Deactivated

WalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMiriam View Post
I will usually "watch" myself as I am screaming and think "this is not ok, I don't want to yell, look how scared/confused he looks, I wish I could stop" but it feels so overwhelming and out of control and I can't stop the train until the energy is used up. I really don't like that.
We call this "mouth diarrhea" in our house. Yes, I know that's gross, but that's what it's like for me. It starts and I can't stop it from coming out even though I want to.

It's kind of like getting on the yelling train as it gets started going down the track. When it's slow you have the option of jumping off, but if it gets up to speed, the only thing to do is hang on for dear life.
WalkByFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WalkByFaith For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (11-10-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #49
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle with yelling also

It's gotten better since I realized that my biggest trigger is low blood sugar, but there's usually at least one time a day when I'm tempted to yell. I don't always actually yell, and it's getting easier to resist the more I practice, but support is wonderful!

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Peridot (12-07-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #50
Christina+5
Rose Bouquet

I really do love my kiddos!

Christina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud ofChristina+5 has much to be proud of

I became a yeller when I moved spanking off the table. That was a HUGE wake up call for me that I was finding an outlet for my feelings in spanking. Now I am struggling to keep my mouth in check. The suggestions here are very much appreciated!
Elspeth (01-24-2012), simplegirl (01-03-2012)
Old 11-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #51
AugustMama
Climbing Rose

AugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to behold

I need to be here too. Good to read all the suggestions.
my adorable dear son born 9/14/07
our second girl, our little joy born at home 1/28/11
AugustMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #52
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I have been yelling more lately. I know it is linked to our stress. our life is a mess right now. I keep letting things go because I can't handle stuff. My husband is starting to recover from a really bad depression. I am at the end of whatever was holding me together.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for ShangriLewis:
justbreathe (11-10-2011), mummy2boys (11-19-2011), Soliloquy (11-06-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #53
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow yelling vents all of that pent up emotion in a most satisfying way in the heat of the moment. And then we regret it deeply. So it sounds like we need a way to express our big feelings in a more healthy way than yelling. Hmmm. Ideas?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
celestial princess (11-06-2011), Daria_Aleksandrovna (11-21-2011), Drew (11-15-2011), Emerald Orchid (11-07-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011), kwisie (11-05-2011), mamaeffie (11-10-2011), mollobe (11-05-2011), shaslove (11-10-2011), Tandem mama (11-05-2011), ThreeKids (11-05-2011), WalkByFaith (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #54
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Somehow yelling vents all of that pent up emotion in a most satisfying way in the heat of the moment. And then we regret it deeply. So it sounds like we need a way to express our big feelings in a more healthy way than yelling. Hmmm. Ideas?
Exactly. It's like I NEED him to see that what he's doing (or not doing) is a big deal - if I walk away, take deep breathes, etc. then he won't ever learn that it's NOT OKAY to act that way.

I "know" that's not true, or gentle parenting wouldn't work, so can someone please explain it to me?
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mollobe For This Useful Post:
charla (11-05-2011), Emerald Orchid (11-07-2011), kwisie (11-05-2011), mommy2ella (01-25-2012)
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #55
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollobe View Post
Exactly. It's like I NEED him to see that what he's doing (or not doing) is a big deal - if I walk away, take deep breathes, etc. then he won't ever learn that it's NOT OKAY to act that way.

I "know" that's not true, or gentle parenting wouldn't work, so can someone please explain it to me?

For me a lot of it has been about control. It helps to remember the best way for me to stay in control is to control my emotions and temper. I'm the grown up and I can choose how I react.

I also remember modeling. Children learn by seeing much more than they learn by being told. If they see you choosing the right way of handling your emotions they will learn much better than trying to make sure they KNOW.

These are things I try to remind myself and they help

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
Atsirk (11-06-2011), BarefootBetsy (11-06-2011), charla (11-05-2011), Daria_Aleksandrovna (11-21-2011), Drew (11-15-2011), Emerald Orchid (11-07-2011), jmom1984 (11-06-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011), kwisie (11-05-2011), MiriamRose (11-06-2011), mollobe (11-06-2011), mommy2ella (01-25-2012), schmamy (01-31-2012), Soaring Eagle (11-06-2011), swimming with sharks (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #56
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

I have so many triggers it would be hard (and embarrassing) to list them all. I'm really just waiting for my excommunication notice from the AP/GD club.
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to celestial princess For This Useful Post:
Christina+5 (11-06-2011), Cook (11-06-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for celestial princess:
Peridot (12-07-2011), shaslove (11-10-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #57
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

In Scream Free Parenting, the author says that often we yell because we're upset about something and everybody else isn't. Just like ThreeKids wrote. If I'm mad and frustrated and the kids are giggling, I need to take a deep breath and think about what my real goal is.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (11-06-2011), Cook (11-06-2011), Daria_Aleksandrovna (11-21-2011), Dovenoir (11-06-2011), Drew (11-15-2011), jmom1984 (11-06-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011), mamaeffie (11-10-2011), mollobe (11-06-2011), mommy2ella (01-25-2012), Peridot (11-06-2011), simplegirl (01-03-2012), Tandem mama (11-06-2011), ThreeKids (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #58
Cook
Rose Bush

Cook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of light

Okay I've been embarrassed to post here but so many other brave ladies have gone before me and just writing it out helps me be accountable.

I was a prospank propunitive parent for a long time. Honestly, now, I don't care what others do. I mean, God carried me through my own trials, I feel bad for the kids but I have faith that He is big enough to restore His children no matter what they go through. I feel bad for parents who are disciplining without disernment or faith though- because I know that can be a very lonely and difficult place... And I feel horrible for parents that don't have all the tools I've found. As parents we need anything we can get!

I yell when I feel like I cannot control outcomes.
I yell when I feel like I'm not being taken seriously.
I yell when my kids are not hearing me.
I yell when I've lost my temper (which I do struggle with but is worse relating to sleep and meal patterns)
I yell when I am in pain.
I yell when I'm frustrated about something else.
I yell when I'm overwhelmed.
I yell when I'm spiritually hurting or distant from God.

When I decided to move away from the punitive parenting approach, yelling was the only "tool" I allowed myself to still use. It wasn't "as bad" right? But it is bad. I know that. I know that the effect of yelling can be even worse than physical punishment.

I find that many times in life, focusing on where you've gotten it right is the key to getting it wrong less. So I'm also going to think over why I have times that I yell less, and I'll be back to post on that!

A career student at
'God Is Still Growing Me' Techincal College
Jointly enrolled at 'Amen To That' University

My husband is active duty Army. We had three kids in thirty one months. Fortunately I've kept them all alive and mostly healthy Even the stressful days are blessings and/or struggles that we've overcome!

The next generation of perpetually in progress humans:
Darrell(Dec2006)
Jonas(April2008)
Katie(July2009)
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cook For This Useful Post:
celestial princess (11-06-2011), charla (11-06-2011), Dovenoir (11-06-2011), Drew (11-15-2011), GentleMomof4 (11-06-2011), GraceFirst (11-06-2011), jmom1984 (11-06-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011), mollobe (11-06-2011), mommy2ella (01-25-2012), Soliloquy (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #59
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

I keep seeing this 'control' word. WE ALL KNOW the only person you can control is yourself. We are NOT in control of your child. If you're trying to be in control of them you're just exercising your frustration muscle. You can't scream them to sleep, scream them to eat the food they should eat, scream them to do their chores better, scream them to develop into adults faster than they are going.

Here's another thing I've found that works. I've seen dd yell at ds1 while trying to teach him something. I always tell her you can't teach him by screaming at him. So before you scream again, think of the last time someone screamed at you. Think how bad you felt about yourself think how you felt about them ....think about the mistake you were making. Can you even remember the mistake? Does how badly you felt about you and them cloud the whole issue of what was happening? For me it does....when I really focus on how I felt (and I was an adult so I could process with lots of experience) The next time you start to scream, take that extra two seconds think about how you felt.... Screaming at them is not going to make them stop being immature or teach them faster.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
Castle On A Cloud (11-06-2011), Delaney (11-13-2011), Drew (11-15-2011), filmgirl2911 (11-07-2011), jmom1984 (11-06-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011), kwisie (11-08-2011), mollobe (11-06-2011), mommy2ella (01-25-2012), redandhoney (07-31-2012)
Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #60
mom2afew

I struggle with yelling too, and i'm working on it. thank you so much everyone for being so honest, i can relate to so many of you, i think even all of you on something or another.
Thank you all for the suggestions, i'll be getting these books (hopefully from the library) i wish i had more time to read.