Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ford Focus?

Has anyone here ever had a Ford Focus?
I've looked online to try to get info, but I like to hear from "real people".
Specifically, we are looking at a 2012 hatchback.
I am concerned about safety and reliability.
The price is what we can pay, and we need it right away, so I can't really spend weeks looking for the right used car to pop up.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ford Focus?

We have a 2005 Ford Focus. We bought it used about 8 years ago. It was the main vehicle I drove until about a year ago when my 18 year old took it over as his main vehicle for work and school.

It's not a hatchback. Just a regular 4 door.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
MamaRachel
Rose Bouquet

MamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to behold

We have a 2012 Ford focus, just a 4 door though. We've had it for about 3 years and it's been a good car for us so far.

married to J since 2010

E ~ 8.5 yr
A ~ 7 yr
C ~ 4 yr
B ~ 7months
MamaRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

We have an ‘06. It’s reliable.Fortunately we haven’t had to find out about safety first hand (I think stats are way better than personal experience on that one!). It is pretty tiny- that was weird at first. I’m talking about the space inside the car. It wasn’t super comfy at 9 months pregnant because I was big. It was doable- just felt a little squished.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t have a Ford Focus but we have become a Ford family. It happened at first just because a Ford Flex Fit our needs. But when we needed a new vehicle we got a second Ford (fusion) because our flex has been so reliable and easy for my dh to maintain (he does all the car maintenance and repair for us!)

We chose the fusion because of extra space but I’d not hesitate to buy a Ford Flex for a kid if it’s been well taken care of. My dh is fastidious about fixing things so small things are nipped in the bud.

Our cars are a 2010 and a 2011.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

My parents just bought their third Focus. They love it. They've had one sedan and two hatchbacks. They have always bought Fords; my uncle used to work for Ford. (I have a cousin who still does.)

The four-door was comfortable. I drive a mini-van and never found it too small. (The back seat of the hatchback may be a different story, though. I've never ridden there.) It's comfortable for four people, five may fit, (I think there's a third seat belt in the back?) but it would be a little tight. The trunk holds a reasonable amount. I've seen my mom fit three coolers in the trunk.

Installing car seats in the Focus is a dream! It's the easiest car I've ever had to use.

The gas mileage is great and the ride and handling is as well. My SIL used to have one and when she moved across the country DH and I drove it to her new home for her so that she could fly with her kids.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

We looked a couple of Ford Focuses. (Focii??) Both 2012.
One was just "meh" and a little more than what we wanted to pay, especially for a bare bones car.
The second was the exact price we wanted to pay, plus it had some really great features like heated leather seats (which I am guessing up North where she will be, that might be a good thing?) It has a back up camera, warning beeps when getting too close to stuff, parking assist, phone connectivity for hands free, etc.
New tires, too.
The thing is that now I am reading about transmission trouble in the Focus for the model year.
The person that owns it got it in 2015. He says it has had no trouble.
He bought it from Carmax.
All the people in reviews I am seeing have had trouble after a couple of years. I am thinking, if there was going to be a big problem like people are describing, which is a major design problem, there would have already been a problem before the car was 7 years old, right?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 08-04-2019 at 08:20 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t speak about transmissions but I love my warming seats up here in WI . However to me it’s a luxury because it’s the first car I’ve owned w them. But for a transplant from a warm climate may he a necessity However, now that I have a 6 minute commute they won’t warm up by then if she is like me doesn’t have time to warm up car for more than 3 minutes. I just dress warm.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote