Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you break the habit...

Of sitting down with your phone inbetween doing things?
School and work start soon again and I keep wasting time. So much time.

Also, if you don’t have your phone in your pocket,how do you walk around and do things without drifting over to your phone to check a thing or two or three?

I already have texting notifications silent except my husband. FB notifications are silent. I would just rather be on my phone than clean or do grownup stuff.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you break the habit...

Use it as a reward for doing something else first.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Llee (07-23-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I almost started a similar thread recently! I was recently on vacation and didn't feel so tethered to my phone. It was so nice. I wish there was some way to have important notifications come through but not everything. Dh gets mad if I don't answer his call or message, but I also hate having the volume up all the time because of all the unimportant notifications. How do you have only certain notifications make a noise?
I did hear about something on the iPhone where you can have certain apps turn off at a certain time. I have an android though.
I'm here for all the good ideas!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

You can log out of your apps when you don't want to hear them. I don't know about other phones but on mine I can mute people.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

You can set the notification sound to a very quiet sound or even silent. If you don't have a silent sound, find one or record one.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

I have this setting too that can be turned on. Some stuff literally is not in the menu and I need to do a search on my phone.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Even just turning off wifi and data may help some.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I muted notifications on unimportant things. Recently even email because even though I knew it was probably not important I felt compelled to check.

I don’t care how much I’m on my phone as long as I get things done so I have strategies to get things done rather than not be on my phone.

Music helps me and so do pod casts. It’s like it shuts off my brains curiosity. I also set timers for how long I need to work on something before going to the next thing and I keep them fairly short. I use a bullet journal and after writing out my to do list I pick the 3 most important things and write them in a different box. Stuff like that.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
MegMarch (07-22-2019), The Tickle Momster (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

You should have a do not disturb setting. I use it at night. It allows me to choose who's sounds come through. I have selected important family members and ONLY their tones make sound when this is turned on.

Also, i have different notification tones for special people so I know if I want/need to pick up the phone & check.

Ftr, I'm avoiding housework & on my phone right now. You are not alone.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t.

I have to put it in another room.

My work emails come to my phone, and if I have ANY red notifications I HAVE to get rid of them (thanks, Type A personality).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I usually have a list of stuff I need to get done before I can sit down again.

I am also still nursing my 1 year old quite often and pretty much if I make eye contact he's begging to be held and nursed. If I have a lot to do I try to get it done fast before he realizes he needs milkies.I

I also keep my kindle paperwhite handy and have it loaded with books, so I often end up reading instead of interneting which is more recharging and gives my brain more of an escape.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I don't do much with my phone but I do have an ipad I check several times a day (I don't want to know how many). I have to lie down a lot so then I reach for it. I don't really know how not to.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I keep my phone on silent and keep it away from me. Then I only check it when I'm allowing myself to spend some time on it. Setting up boundaries (time frames, only after "x", etc) helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

The hard thing for me is that so many people expect that you will respond right away. If you have a smart phone, you must be on it and you must answer the text or phone call immediately. I want to just throw it and not look at it for a few hours, but then I know that there will be some urgent message that I didn't respond to. Ugh. I need to look into having the phone only sound for certain numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #14
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
The hard thing for me is that so many people expect that you will respond right away. If you have a smart phone, you must be on it and you must answer the text or phone call immediately. I want to just throw it and not look at it for a few hours, but then I know that there will be some urgent message that I didn't respond to. Ugh. I need to look into having the phone only sound for certain numbers.

Yup— this happens to me with my writing job frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #15
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a digital wellbeing app on my phone that will let me set limits on apps, like facebook and tapatalk, so that I am not doing that all day. They will turn off completely.

Also, go to the app and just turn off notifications for facebook. Do you really need these? It's easy enough to go on the app and look at the notifications. I don't need them popping up also.

I will sometimes purposely leave my phone in another room. My dh will call our home phone in an emergency. (Free google phone)
Llee (07-23-2019)