Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:15 AM   #1
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation
Default The reality of getting together with friends

How hard is it for you to meet up with friends whether as a couple or just the women? I’m curious what this looks like for others. I’m feeling frustrated but I don’t know if that is fair. A friend asked us to get together with her and her husband. This was early July. She gave us one date in mid August as an option because it was the only day open on their calendar. And even then she will have to drive her 15 yo to and from work that night. It’s the only day in August i have plans with other friends. She counters with the last Saturday in September. Is this normal? Are other parents lives so scheduled that it takes two months to get together with friends for dessert and coffee?

Flip side, Hubs and his buddy just scheduled a family weekend for our two families of five to spend the day on the lake and go to a NASCAR race the next day. It’s leaving me confused.

Both the families we were trying to connect with are families of 5 with teens.

I remember growing up my parents friends connecting in someway once a week or more. They all had kids too. It was an impromptu pool party, a Wednesday poker game. Friday night pizza and ping pong. Is my experience so different because of a culture change or was my experience just that odd growing up?
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), SewingGreenMama (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #2
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality of getting together with friends

This has been my experience too.
I have a wonderful best friend. She does not do last minute plans well. We have to plan at least a few days in advance or it just isn't going to happen. Sometimes weeks in advance. I love her dearly so I work with this, and she tries to be a little more flexible and spontaneous for me as well.
But yes. It is hard. I remember weekly get-togethers for random events, last minute playdates, and park days. Lots of dinners. People are so busy now. Their kids are in so many activities, and they don't push for more Independence. The stress of go, go, go is why my kids are in nothing. We are looking into 4H this year for all of them, but that is it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), Llee (07-26-2019), Virginia (07-26-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes, yes Depending upon their other commitments, their work schedules, etc.

DH and I have a couple we are good friends with. She’s a nurse (so works weekends). DH is a pharmacist (so works some weekends and holidays). I coach volleyball, so evenings were tied up for me. We have been trying to get together since Christmas— we are finally hanging out August 3 and giving them their Christmas gift then (which, btw, I’ve forgotten what I even got them).

I just looked at my calendar— I have swim lessons with DD every Saturday, a wedding shower, a graduation party, a wedding, two kids’ birthday parties, my own daughter’s birthday party. I only have one free Saturday until the end of September

And if I’m being honest, sometimes I need time and space to breathe after being busy. So, sure, I could squeeze in coffee with a friend before church on Sunday, but if I’m being honest, I like having that time to maybe sleep in or lounge in my pajamas before church I need “me time” too.

So short answer: yes, some people are truly scheduled for months out and may also need some space and margin in their life to just breathe. It’s frustrating and hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Allison (07-27-2019), everybody's mother (07-29-2019), SewingGreenMama (07-26-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

For friends who aren't local, we normally have to schedule several months in advance, if not longer - especially for those who work shifts/irregular hours. It can be frustrating, but some of it it down to us anyway as we have children's extra-curricular activities, commitments with the wider family etc.
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), Llee (07-26-2019), SewingGreenMama (07-26-2019), Virginia (07-26-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Nudge me cuz I’m the difficult To Get Together person.

But my dd is leaving for another country and We r about to drive her to the bus station in minutes . I opened this intending to answer, forgot cuz got busy and now don’t have time to answer

that’s my life which contributed to this issue

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), Llee (07-26-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

That’s my experience but it’s not just because people are highly scheduled it’s because when they have free time they want to spend it with their own families. When I was newly divorced the only free time I had was weekends. Everyone wanted (understandably) to be with their own family. We have quite a schedule. There definitely days that are free but they don’t often match up with friends.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Allison (07-27-2019), everybody's mother (07-29-2019), Llee (07-26-2019), Virginia (07-26-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh...this is me and I hate it. I really think it's the stage of life we're in with three teens, but we are pretty social in general. We have a friend who just asked our family over for dinner and the first weekend evening we have free (any Fri., Sat. or Sun.) is Labor Day , (granted two of the weekends we are out of town, not just busy). I asked if we could do a weeknight and she said her family doesn't have a weeknight where they are all home....so I just dropped it and feel sad.

In answer to your question though, if it's just a girlfriend we can usually squeeze time in during the week. If it's couples, we can usually still find a weeknight evening. Our problem is usually when it involves our children.
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #8
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

People are busy
I wah 50 hrs a week
3 kids, two have one activity each

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), Llee (07-26-2019), Virginia (07-26-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Thanks ladies for the perspective. I think I am just sad about this right now. I mean I understand working on weekends and holidays. We've lived that life for 15 years. Having weekends and holidays off is a relatively new lifestyle for us. My kids aren't in a ton of activities anymore because their interests have shifted so their participation is less weekly demand and more event and monthly. And I fiercely defend my own personal down time as an introvert who works long hours. I do not like to go out on week nights. So I guess in my own way I'm shutting down opportunities too. But meeting a friend at 7pm on a Tuesday when I have to get up at 5am Wednesday morning is not enjoyable.

For those of you who do have a hard time finding face to face time with local friends how do you fill that social need and maintain genuine friendship? I mean I love my husband and honestly he is my best friend, the person I prefer to hang out with over anyone else but at the same time he has even said to me "I can't be your everything."
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), SewingGreenMama (07-26-2019), tempus vernum (07-27-2019)
The Following User Says they are praying for WanderingJuniper:
tempus vernum (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure dh and I have ever been out with another couple. I'm jealous that's even an option for some of you, even with a 2 month wait!

I can usually squeeze in coffee with a friend within 1-2 weeks.

I have a friend who lives an hour away and we try to get together with our kids once a year. She has 4. I have only 2-3 who would want to get together. It takes us months sometimes to find a day that works. Our teens are so busy with jobs and sports and school and she reserves weekends for time with daddy. So it's hard.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I instant message one friend almost every day and sometimes it's kind of a running chat all day. That helps me!

With another friend, I do the meet for coffee thing. She's got littles so chatting via text isn't ideal for her.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

Its not that crazy with the people I know. We plan anything from a few days to a month ahead but usually only a,week ahead.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
Thanks ladies for the perspective. I think I am just sad about this right now. I mean I understand working on weekends and holidays. We've lived that life for 15 years. Having weekends and holidays off is a relatively new lifestyle for us. My kids aren't in a ton of activities anymore because their interests have shifted so their participation is less weekly demand and more event and monthly. And I fiercely defend my own personal down time as an introvert who works long hours. I do not like to go out on week nights. So I guess in my own way I'm shutting down opportunities too. But meeting a friend at 7pm on a Tuesday when I have to get up at 5am Wednesday morning is not enjoyable.

For those of you who do have a hard time finding face to face time with local friends how do you fill that social need and maintain genuine friendship? I mean I love my husband and honestly he is my best friend, the person I prefer to hang out with over anyone else but at the same time he has even said to me "I can't be your everything."

Yeah, it is hard It’s okay to be sad about it. That makes total sense to me

Church is one social outlet for me— attending services once a week and chatting with people after or before church. Last Sunday we had a fellowship meal after the service, and even though DD was with me and DH wasn’t, it was great to talk to other adults.

I talk daily to one of my mom friends on Snapchat. She lives in PA. But we were pregnant at the same time and parent similarly, so we message/send videos to each other daily on SC.

I created a Facebook group for all my mom friends, most of whom are local to me. Sometimes people will post in there things like, “Who wants to go to the park this week?” And I’ll make it happen if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), Llee (07-26-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #13
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I totally get it. I miss seeing my friends too. I have two very close friends who live nearby. We've been friends since elementary school. During the school year I don't see them. Pretty much ever. And they live 10-15 minutes away from me. They each have three young kids. I'm free in the afternoons, but they both have kids who are napping then (and no child care). I can't ever do anything in the evenings during the week because of dh's work schedule. I always feel weird asking people to do things on the weekends, because I feel like that is their family time to do things together. I'd love to get together with them and their kids on a Saturday morning while dh sleeps, but I feel like that's intruding on their family time.

During the summer I have gotten to see them a bit more around playdates with our kids. But that's not the same as just getting together as grown-ups, for sure. That maybe happens once a year with them.

Once in a while we get invited to another family's house for a Saturday evening dinner, though that's rare. It's terrible, but I hesitate to invite people over to our house (people from church) because they will likely stay really late. It's super hard to find any couples that dh and I both connect with. I can think of one couple, maybe two. So that makes it really hard- he doesn't really connect with my best friends' dhs. They are nice, but just have nothing in common with my dh. It is so isolating. I get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I never get together with friends without at least some of my kids with me. I think I've done it 3 times in the 15 years I've been a mom.

Quote:

I don't, in that sense. I build friendships hiking with another mom with our kids hiking, too. Sitting in the ski lodge with my toddler while my kids are skiing. It's not ideal but I make it be enough.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (07-26-2019), tempus vernum (07-29-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #15
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m finally back.....

Getting together w one other person is a bit easier for me but 4 adults (2 xouples) much harder. My best friend and her hubby, we’ve made a rule “whatever kids are around are included. Whoever is busy is busy” because otherwise it took 3-4 months or never happened. Even w 4 adults it’s brutal and can take months.

I work every other weekend, my dh works every Saturday bff’s hubby works occasional weekends. Plus between us we have 5 teen/young adults. 2 college students w jobs, a 17yo with a job, a sophomore who studies ballet 30 hours a week and a freshman who does 2 sports.

My social life will have to be rebuilt when I have an empty nest. I’ve kept in touch w a tiny handful of friends ... primarily by text. I see them a few times a year ... sad but it’s all I have time for at the moment.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-29-2019), WanderingJuniper (07-30-2019)