Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default i can't get rid of "stuff"

i have no idea what my block is here. we are a large family. decluttering is a necessity. but i can't seem to do it. esp. with kids toys. here are things i am finding while trying to make myself purge/declutter

1. broken stuff. seriously dh had helped the kids with round one of decluttering and i saw a plastic doll with a missing leg in it. i started reaching in to grab it out thinking "oh i meant to fix that" even tho i actually tried to fix it and it really isn't super possible to fix, but i have let it sit on my dd dresser taking up space and making clutter for months instead of just tossing it.

2. old stuff. in my fabric room i have so many old clothes that i have plans on "upcycling" but if i am completely realistic i know i will not get to it. like ever. but i don't toss it or donate it.

3. barely played with toys. again dh helped the kids get rid of stuff and i see things in there and i am like "oh but so and so never got to use it play with it because <insert random excuse here>

i don't know why i can't just declutter and teach my kids the importance of decluttering. part of me feels guilty and that it is wasteful, and part of me thinks i could sell it to make money, and part of me thinks i or someone else will regret getting rid of it.

help me work this out???

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-06-2014), bentlaj11 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i can't get rid of "stuff"

The selling stuff kills me too. I only sold my stuff last week because we'd moved and it was the only stuff left in the garage!

Donating is easy for me. Plus I like the excuse to go to the thrift store to shop after I donate.

I'm planning to get rid of thousands of pounds of stuff in the next three years. We weighed our moving truck, so I know it's thousands of pounds that needs to go! lol

It sounds like your husband is really good at it. I'd let him help you and focus on what you are really good at....
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Can you have a friend purge for you and get rid of the trash before you see it?
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post

I wish I could trust friends. (my sister) She threw away batman from a set that came with a bat cave that my son just got for his birthday a few months ago and totally plays with. She also threw away the glasses case for Molly's glasses (American girl doll). I rescued both of them.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
dh can do it pretty much, and yes, it probably would be better if i don't go looking through what he purged

but i still have to get rid of some of my stuff too and household stuff he wouldn't know about.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;

The Following User Says they are praying for houseforjoy:
ECingMama (08-05-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

what no one wants to help me work through my issues

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

oh and the apple may not fall far from the tree. i was helping ds go through his stuff to purge and i tried saying "this stick (yes stick) can get thrown away right?" and he was like NOOOOOOOOOOOO that is my alligator stick!! -- it is a thicker stick with a crack through one end like an alligator mouth

Psalm 13

Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

bentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could help, but your post is something I could've written!

InFpType 2/3(?)
bentlaj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much help either. I need to be in the mood or inspired (for example; new book on home organizing, episode of Hoarders). Usually, the decision making that is needed for a good declutter session is more than my brain can handle. However, I am getting to the point where the clutter is wasting my time and having a negative affect on my life. I don't want to use stuff that I've saved, and keeping it is stopping me from having time and space to do the things I want to do.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I don't know how to help. Having a parent who holds on to stuff in an unorganized fashion has made me want to be opposite of that.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (08-10-2014), mommylove (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
i have no idea what my block is here. we are a large family. decluttering is a necessity. but i can't seem to do it. esp. with kids toys. here are things i am finding while trying to make myself purge/declutter
I swear, some of it needs to be a learned skill. If you didn't learn it in childhood, it takes more time.

Can you start asking yourself the serious questions? When your brain says "Oh, I meant to fix that", tie it immediately to the questions: CAN I fix it? No? Trash. Yes: "WILL I fix it?" No? Trash. Yes--do it immediately.

Same with upcycling. WILL you really? If not, toss it.

Feeling wasteful: It is wasteful to allow it to steal space and happiness in your home. If it had a happy use during its life, appreciate that and release it to bless someone else. (Flylady, she knows her stuff. ) If it was a waste to get it in the first place (Hey, I've got clothes that weren't wise purchases, that kind of thing) then refuse to allow it to waste MORE time/space/happiness and clear it out. And if it's not broken/trash, then maybe someone else can love it and use it.

Making money: will you? really? If you can't put a price tag on it that's over $30, is it even worth it? The problem with thinking it's worth money is that nobody will want to pay what you think it's worth, so you keep feeling upset about it because it won't sell, or because you don't get enough for it. Is it worth the trauma? If you're *good* at selling things, great. But if you're not, just skip the trauma. Donate it. For the few big items, you could try craigslist. But maybe set yourself a deadline for actually listing it?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (08-06-2014), ECingMama (08-06-2014), houseforjoy (08-06-2014), mommychem (08-09-2014), rjy9343 (08-08-2014), squiddles (08-10-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
ECingMama
Rose Garden

She's totally right.....it was frustrating to list on craig's list and get less than I thought it was worth. That's why I usually just give away.

All the free stuff I listed on craig's list went within in the hour! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
deena (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

i am not usually disappointed over what i get for something... ten or twenty bucks is still ten bucks but i usually look at what stuff is going for too.

either way it is the whole taking time to list it and more so taking pictures that is time consuming for me.

Psalm 13

Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few ideas.

First of all, if it is donated, you can pray over it and ask God to bless someone that really needs this item by helping them find it at a great price. There are people living on a shoestring that would be brought to tears to find a cute outfit or toy at a thrift shop. Keeping something that you will never use (and you won't use it because you cannot find it when your house is cluttered) is a form of hoarding and we should be sharing, not hoarding. (I hope that doesn't sound harsh. I'm not judging, it's an issue I have, myself.)

Ask yourself, "If I save this, and by some slim chance I actually need it some day, will I even be able to find it? Will I actually expend the time and money to repair it?" 99% of the time the answer is no.

Remember that a new habit is HARD. Expect it to be hard but do it anyway. Remind yourself that it will get easier.

I really liked the book, Clutter Control: Your House on a Diet by Steve Campbell. I checked it out from the library. He addressed the emotional reasons we hang on to things as well as some practical ideas for decluttering.

With the fabric/clothes--if you ACTUALLY sew, set aside a few hours to rip out the seams, trim, fold, etc and organize the fabric or clothes you want to upcycle. Spend a few bucks to get a shelf or a nice bin. Whatever fits, you get to keep.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
houseforjoy (08-06-2014), librarianjojo (08-08-2014), mommychem (08-09-2014), rjy9343 (08-08-2014), twoplustwo (08-10-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

wow those are some good hard truths i need to chew on.

also i am thinking it might be easier for me to donate to like the m. rescue mission instead of goodwill.

Psalm 13

The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I love to get rid of stuff

I guess I would go back to your childhood to see what your issues might be. Were you poor? Did your mom get rid of stuff without your permission? Did you lose someone close to you? Maybe sorting through some stuff would help.

But I'm going to help you with one thing. Start with this. Go get up, right now, yes you, and throw that one-legged doll in the garbage or recycle. I said now. Why are you still reading this? I mean it!

It might just be that you have to make yourself get rid of stuff, one by one. When you lose the stuff, you are getting peace. Maybe you can think of it that way that you are getting peace instead of losing stuff.

I really have to suppress the urge to just take a torch to everything I own. Okay, not really, like you're not going to see me on the news or anything. But I sometimes just get so mad at my stuff, mad at the All About Spelling cards I'm sorting that are keeping me from doing a puzzle with dd2, and the fact that I get upset when ds2 drops a whole box of them on the floor. I mean, if I didn't even have them, I wouldn't have that problem.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (08-06-2014), houseforjoy (08-06-2014), mommychem (08-09-2014), rjy9343 (08-08-2014), WanderingJuniper (08-06-2014)