Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you store your family's shoes?

Especially the kids' shoes? I'm sick of the pile by the front door that everyone trips on.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you store your family's shoes?

they have a plastic bin that fits under their bed or dresser. we do still get the pile by the door, but once a day i usually tell everyone to grab their shoes and put them away, or if it is a big pile i will let one of my littler ones put everyone's away for a "chore"

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (07-26-2014), Quiteria (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

We have this eight inside the front door http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80156120/

And I have a cheap rubber basket in the door way (about 18inch deep door well) of the back kitchen door (rain boots and crocs and flip flops water shows- what have hog get thrown in there the minute they walk in).

Shoes still get thrown in the floor, but a simple "put your shoes away" keeps it mostly under control. Church/dress shoes any extra seasonal shoes are in a laundry basket in their closer,
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

We have stacking plastic baskets inside our coat closet by the front door. Each child has their own basket and we go through them maybe twice a year to pull out shoes that are too small and see what is needed after the too small shoes are shuffled around to the smaller children

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

We have two of these. IKEA has since discontinued them. The inside of each drawer looks like this.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

We have a grey bin behind the door they all throw their shoes in. Nothing fancy but no unruly piles and no shoes strewn about the house either.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

We have a little locker thing behind our door. Each kid has a canvas basket over a place to hang their coat over two shelves for shoes. They can keep two pair of shoes there (one on each shelf). I don't care which shoes they pick to keep there. The rest go on a shoe rack in a closet we have in the family room.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
lucie
Climbing Rose

lucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant future

We have a small closet right by the door, and I hung two of the hanging clothes organizers in there. I think they're originally meant for sweaters or something... We use the lower cubbies for shoes and the upper ones for hats and the kids' sweatshirts (since they're too little to hang). DH and I put most of our shoes on the floor under the cubbies. We also have a bench with two drawers in the hallway for shoes that we don't use regularly, but the drawers are bit too heavy for kids to pull out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lucie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

They're all lined up along my kitchen wall. You see them as soon as you come in. My three year old recently took over the task to keep them in neat pairs.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

It is not the most attractive thing, but we have two of those 9 suare cubbie things in our entryway.
They are like this
Before we had child number 5, we could get away with just one.
Anyway, we have a column of cubbies for each person's shoes, and then a basket drawer for their other "out the door" things.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

We have a rubber or plastic (not sure which) "tray" (they sell them in the winter time to set boots in) that slides under the butcher block "island" right by our back door. We also have a shelf thingy (I got it at Aldis several years ago, it's designed for shoes) by the door where more shoes are put. Part of our afternoon tidy is making sure all shoes are one of those 2 places, or in the owner's closet. If it starts getting out of control I mandate all but 1 pair per person goes back to closets, to get it back under control. When we had a bigger entry area we had a bench with a big drawer in it and we tossed all shoes in the drawer.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Cubbies by the door (we also have had wire racks in the past). The rest go in their room, on the shelves. Mine I have stacking shoe racks and a strict one-in-one-out policy, as I kind of love shoes.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pretty laundry basket by each door (like a real basket, not plastic) that we throw our shoes in. It's my attempt to make it not too unsightly.

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homesteadmama For This Useful Post:
lucie (07-28-2014), squiddles (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking about a boot tray under the dresser for the "extra" shoes. I actually don't mind one pair by each door, so long as they're not a tripping hazard. There really isn't a place for a basket or shelf by either door, though.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

They are in the garage on shoe racks. The ones worn less frequently are also in a garage but in a box or bin.

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (07-28-2014)