Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to Pressure cook dried beans?

In general I am a soak and slow cooking beans type but this weekend I made jambalaya and forgot to make kidney beans I tried to figure out how to use a pressure cooker as I have one but didn't

SO I used black beans and everyone liked it.

I'd like to know how to do this though.

Can I make dried beans without soaking? If so, how do I do that? Most internet sites say I have to presoak but I am just looking for a short cut when I think I forgot to make dried beans

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
CakeLady

Default Re: How to Pressure cook dried beans?

I know you can pressure them without presoaking, but the time will be longer (maybe 2x longer). I try to soak my beans at least 1/2 a day before pressure cooking.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady
I know you can pressure them without presoaking, but the time will be longer (maybe 2x longer). I try to soak my beans at least 1/2 a day before pressure cooking.
So how do I do this? Keep in mind, I am brand new to pressure cooking. I was given a pressure cooker recently and have made pressure cooked greens and that's it. I have done pressure CANNING though

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
CakeLady

Rinse them, add to pot with lots of water, add any other seasonings and let soak or pressure.

Here's a good chart, but it does recommend soaking for 4 hours.
http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html

I've never not soaked black beans, but I did it once with pinto. It took longer, but the taste was fine.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

I do this every single week at least once. I make a HUGE pot of beans and then I am good to go for quick beans and rice burritos all week for meals.
Take your beans(i usually use pinto but I do black, and various other kinds as well) and wash them thoroughly. Put them in the cooker and cover with water. I never measure, but I put a minimum of 3-4 cups of beans or more and then I cover with more than enough water. Lock on the lid and place on the stove on high heat. When your pressure cooker starts to blow steam time for 18 minutes. Then remove from the heat and let the steam finish and the pot cool down until the lock releases and you can open the cooker. Your beans should be ready to eat. They keep about 5-6 days as long as you cool them off quickly and keep them cold.

I wait and salt them as soon as I open the canner instead of salting before cooking. The whole think here at about at altitude of 5000ft. takes a little over an hour from beginning until ready to eat.
DD December 2014
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShepherdsWife For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good idea. I am new to pressure cooking too.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

Once you get the hang of them they are amazing. I need to learn more myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD December 2014
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #8
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdsWife View Post
I do this every single week at least once. I make a HUGE pot of beans and then I am good to go for quick beans and rice burritos all week for meals.
Take your beans(i usually use pinto but I do black, and various other kinds as well) and wash them thoroughly. Put them in the cooker and cover with water. I never measure, but I put a minimum of 3-4 cups of beans or more and then I cover with more than enough water. Lock on the lid and place on the stove on high heat. When your pressure cooker starts to blow steam time for 18 minutes. Then remove from the heat and let the steam finish and the pot cool down until the lock releases and you can open the cooker.

I do the same except when I turn on the heat, I set the timer for about 45 minutes for pinto or chickpeas & 40 minutes for black beans & let it go. When I hear the pressure-thingy rocking, I turn the temperature down a bit. They always turn out . . . beans are pretty fool-proof.

I recently read that you're supposed to put a tablespoon of oil in the water to keep beans from foaming & potentially clogging the release valve, but in the 20+ years I've been pressure cooking beans, I've never had a problem.

Then I portion them into ziplocks & freeze. 1.5 cups of beans = 1 can.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-23-2015), ShepherdsWife (03-23-2015)