Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Church is doing class on GKGW

Tim Kimmel has a video course that follows his Grace-Based Parenting book.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (07-06-2016), MariJo7 (07-09-2016), Quiteria (07-23-2016), rcsmom (07-07-2016), rjy9343 (07-06-2016), Tasmanian Saint (07-07-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #17
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

So they are not going to be using GKGW but I am not sure about the one they have decided to use instead. It is Character Health by the Scheibners. I am getting some vibes from what is on their website. Any one heard of it? or gone through it?
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcsmom For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (07-24-2016), graciousmomma (07-23-2016), Quiteria (07-23-2016)
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for rcsmom:
graciousmomma (07-23-2016), Quiteria (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I'm just flummoxed this this garbage is still around
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
ChristmasGirl (07-27-2016), Reva (07-26-2016), rjy9343 (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #19
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Glanced at their blogs, and they seem very (hard right, anti Obama) political.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #20
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
I'm just flummoxed this this garbage is still around
I read somewhere that Dr. Sears was amazed when it took off like it did because it was so crazy there was no way anyone would take it seriously. It never entered his mind or anyone else's to come out against it because it was so unrealistic. I think that's what's happening again. It looked like it finally died and was gone. Now it's coming back with moms who sort of used it swearing by it, so other moms are giving it a try.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-24-2016), Hermana Linda (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #21
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone wants sleep and expectations are set too high that pushing a baby into that mold to get sleep and routine seem worth a try. I think the book will be around a lot longer unfortunately
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (07-23-2016), Tasmanian Saint (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #22
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

The infant version has a lot of very convincing rhetoric that it's the only way you'll ever get any sleep, and both the infant and older kid (toddler, child, teen) books insist your kids will be little brats if you raise them differently. Those are very real fears that our selfish and isolated culture magnifies.

I have never felt so exhausted as when we were trying to follow Preparation for Parenting, not even when I was tandeming, and so much of GKGW is the antithesis of how Jesus taught us to treat brothers and sisters in Christ. My kids aren't perfect, but they are sincere about trying to behave without being locked in some antagonistic battle to get them that way.

I hope that other study isn't as bad.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 07-24-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (07-23-2016), Lady Grey (07-24-2016), Llee (07-24-2016), rjy9343 (07-24-2016), Tasmanian Saint (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #23
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
Glanced at their blogs, and they seem very (hard right, anti Obama) political.

I am assuming this is in response to the Scheibners. I don't really know what that has to do with parenting.

Anyway, rcsmom, I don't think you will really "like" their course, either. I am really hesitant to say too much about them here because it is a public forum. They are a very close family, and all the children think their parents are great and were/great parents. So unlike Ezzo!!!! Mr. and Mrs. Scheibner do teach about being proactive parents, so that is always good. But they would be considered punitive. I don't know what is in their actual Character matters course. I am sure it is way better than GKGW, though.

I actually can't believe that is still around. I thought Ezzo had been dragged through the mud so much that no one even had him on their radar anymore. However, I guess that was so long ago that the current - just- now - having- babies generation doesn't really remember all of that. (kind of like how the youngest group of voters in the upcoming presidential election would have no idea what you were talking about if you said "Vince Foster")

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (07-24-2016), rcsmom (07-24-2016), rjy9343 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #24
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
I am assuming this is in response to the Scheibners. I don't really know what that has to do with parenting.
It is. Their politics have nothing to do with parenting, but for a church to offer a course from folks so stridently political seems to be more likely to cause problems than to help people.

Go Team Lioness!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #25
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
It is. Their politics have nothing to do with parenting, but for a church to offer a course from folks so stridently political seems to be more likely to cause problems than to help people.
I don't think that rcsmom's church has to worry about that. That is probably just Steve's blog. He is just writing about his take on current events. I do not think they are "stridently political" people. Not any more than you or I, or anyone else these days.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 AM   #26
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Anyway, rcsmom, I don't think you will really "like" their course, either. I am really hesitant to say too much about them here because it is a public forum. They are a very close family, and all the children think their parents are great and were/great parents. So unlike Ezzo!!!! Mr. and Mrs. Scheibner do teach about being proactive parents, so that is always good. But they would be considered punitive. I don't know what is in their actual Character matters course. I am sure it is way better than GKGW, though.
Thank you. I did poke around their website some and some of the stuff I listened to had me wondering. So now the question becomes do I go or not? I think I will start a new thread on that topic. I really feel like the parents at my church are searching- they have done a parenting class every year (I have never gone before) and every year it is with a different program.
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #27
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can you offer to do a class?

Go Team Lioness!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
MariJo7 (07-24-2016), Quiteria (07-24-2016), Tasmanian Saint (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #28
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone found links about the Scheibner's parenting class, one way or the other? I found some of their marriage advice but nothing on parenting.

(I did see something that led me to believe that he was in ground zero on 9/11 which explains why his blog is heavily into that topic.)
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #29
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Has anyone found links about the Scheibner's parenting class, one way or the other? I found some of their marriage advice but nothing on parenting.

(I did see something that led me to believe that he was in ground zero on 9/11 which explains why his blog is heavily into that topic.)
He was supposed to have been the co-pilot for one of the planes, but for some reason, his name was replaced with another pilot's.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #30
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I found a free download of a 30 day devotional based on their book, on their character health site. I haven't gotten very far yet.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (07-24-2016), Soliloquy (07-25-2016)