Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need a hobby

I don't know if this is the best place for this thread, but it seems the hobby forum is probably the best place

Like the title says, I don't have a hobby. Really, for the most part, I'm fine with that, but it's actually a bit of a problem, mainly with Jo. Jo and her dad have tons of stuff in common, they love sports so dh coaches her soccer and softball team, they love games and have one card/strategy game they play together all of the time, and they love Star Wars so they go to the movies together.

I've noticed lately, that Jo has been asking more and more for me to play a game with her and I think she's trying really hard to find a "thing" with me. I hate most board games . I can tolerate trivia games (my mind is a steel trap for the trivial) and I'll play super short games like flat marbles or pictionary, but it's not my first choice for sure. And, after a long day at work, none of it sounds enjoyable; whereas dh finds games a way to unwind.

My coordination is terrible so I gave up on sports a long time ago. I dabbled in sewing/knitting/crocheting when the girls were little, but realized that my poor coordination meant too much frustration.

She does love watching The Great British Bakeoff with me and I like to bake, but I don't need to make a regular habit of it because of my weight issues.

I know part of my problem is the internet. I think it's ADHD related, but I constantly crave information. I'm always researching and going on bunny trails and glued to my phone, not for social media, but to learn something new! I realize it's not healthy, but it's what I crave so much.

I'm also in need of a hobby to find a reason to take some me time as well. Dh plays games with a friend, sings in the church praise team and community choir, and he always says we need to find me something, but there's just not much I'm interested in

So, hobby ideas for someone that is a klutz, has a smallish budget and would like to engage her high energy nine year old.
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Victorious:
kiloyd (05-22-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need a hobby

That very question is how I ended up in roller derby.

Technically, I referee, and only played 2 games. But both my daughters play juniors, and I ref (and older daughter is starting to referee too). And my son will help out with games too.

I'd love to get back into theatre too, but timing is so tricky.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-22-2018), Soliloquy (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Music?

Flash mobbing?

Yoga? Yoga helps my anxiety a ton!

If you are struggling with weight I would try to find something active you enjoy. I thought I hated being active because I hated gym class but it turns out I love relatively flat hikes, rollerblading, and ice skating. My mom thought she hated being active for four or five decades until she discovered she loves fencing. You just never know what will do it for you.

Lately I have enjoyed visiting model homes with my kids.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-22-2018), Quiteria (05-11-2018), Soliloquy (05-04-2018), Virginia (05-13-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

I love needlework, and all my kids like to crochet with me even the littlest tries. But both me and oldest dd (12) love cross stitch. I work on big projects and she does the smaller ones. It's not complicated, she caught on right away, we both like sitting down with an episode of something on tv and chatting or just taking alone time.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Collage art? It's kinda' mindless, you can read National Geographic (or other magazine) articles before cutting out pictures, the subject can be serious or whimsical and always changes.

Inspiration: Look up Jesse Treece's collage art.

Make a fairy garden. It can be with self hardening clay that is later painted with dollar store paints, or twigs and twine. Basically you can chat while keeping your hands busy. If you don't want to commit to an entire garden you can make one with your dd.

Watch youtube videos to learn choreography from anything that interests you. Napoleon Dynamite's dance routine could be fun. Or Michael Jackson's Thriller. Do you have any gaming systems to do Just Dance of Dance, Dance Revolution that you can do together? If no, youtube is free.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post

Flash mobbing?
Love this! I've never done one, but I have a friend who does. It sounds SO fun!

How about bike riding? Low key, like to a park or along a body of water.

Are you patient artistic enough to do handpainted nail art?

What do you like to do in your down time? Knowing this may lead us to more ideas.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Mother-Daughter Book Club?
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
mommylove (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
Mother-Daughter Book Club?
Or cookbook club? You can choose a chef/author and/or country and research and choose recipes to try. You can watch tv show episodes and sign out books from the library.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (05-11-2018), Sparrow (05-21-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Bake and donate?

If you can nibble and sip, you could probably do trivia team stuff. Restaurants here do them a lot. You could bone up by walking with podcasts.

Swimming in the evenings might be very nice.

For me time, I like reading in restaurants or cafes. It lets me be around people without expectations. I also like driving around with NPR on or mowing to soundtracks.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

2 of my dd's love to take walks with me. We just go wander and look for "nature surprises" (we live in the city).
We have been working through some of the activities in this book just picking spots to observe in our neighborhood throughout the year, sometimes we write down stuff (usually dd2 likes the data aspect) some times we just reflect on how different it looks since the last time we were there.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Kiara.I (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just list my hobbies.

hiking
T-Tapp and other fitness pursuits that aren't sports
snow shoeing and skiing when I get the chance (which is hardly ever )
reading everything I can from the library on a topic that interests me
gardening
houseplants
botany

I don't like any kind of crafting or needlework. I hate team sports. There are a few games I like but I generally get bored by the ones my kids like. Video games bore me except for Tetris and fitness games.

Would you enjoy learning a foreign language with your daughter? Duolino and Memrise are free and many libraries have free access to Mango or similar.

Sketching? I have a great YouTube channel that even turned me into a tolerable sketch artist. And that's saying something.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (05-11-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #12
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggest walks too. Great talking/bonding time. You could add in praying time while walking, if you wanted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add that I enjoy math as a hobby. I haven't done much of it in quite some time because I don't get a solid block of time but I do read theoretical math books and theoretical physics books.

And I think one of the reasons I enjoy sketching is that I am developing a skill that allows me to reflect reality on paper. So, it's kinda mathy in that way. And I learned it's not really about talent. It's about learning the skills and practicing.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (05-06-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #14
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Sketching? I have a great YouTube channel that even turned me into a tolerable sketch artist. And that's saying something.
I would love a link
Quiteria (05-11-2018), Virginia (05-13-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #15
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Walking
Gardening
Cooking healthier foods for snacks/meals that you eat anyway, rather than baking dessert/extra food.
I really like the language idea if you have a great trivia memory...maybe it would work with words even if the subject didn't stick in school...languages aren't often taught well in the US, esp. previously.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Digital art / photography ...not so much fine motor coordination required as most arts and crafts...they make very cheap (like $10) clip-on fancy photo lenses for cell phones now.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote