Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone here use LED lights for your house?

Yeah, but GE is the one that most benefits from the LED's being out. If it were just a move from incandescent to decent CFL's, it would be standard corporatism. But that I suspect GE's longer game was making the LED's look more reasonable because they knew CFL's wouldn't live up to the promises makes it extra diabolical.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKids View Post
Yeah, but GE is the one that most benefits from the LED's being out. If it were just a move from incandescent to decent CFL's, it would be standard corporatism. But that I suspect GE's longer game was making the LED's look more reasonable because they knew CFL's wouldn't live up to the promises makes it extra diabolical.
Ok. None of my LEDs are made by GE, so I find that surprising. Must just be a specific type they have patented?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
BearyBlessed
Rose Garden

BearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond repute

I replaced two of our four kitchen ceiling bulbs with LED's. The other two are incandescent. I don't notice a difference between them. I can't remember what brand or style I got, though.

Wife to my best friend since December 2000
Mama to my boys
Aji ~ My long awaited blessing ~ May 2007
Living with T1D since May 2012

YoYo ~ My HBAC miracle ~ November 2009

BearyBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BearyBlessed For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-13-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #19
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read any of the replies (I'm supposed to be folding laundry ) so im' sorry if I'm repeating.

Yes, we use lots of LED bulbs! I used to sell them when I worked at Home Depot so I actually know a lot about them.

They come in 3 colors/hues of light.
Warm white
Bright White
Daylight

Home Depot stores have a display where you can see these 3 colors of LED bulbs and decide which one you like.

I only, only use warm white. They give off the same type of light as a traditional incandescent. If you get any of the other types it will have a blue-ish hue and I do NOT like that. If you are lighting a task area, some people do like that blue light. I don't like it, not even in my kitchen.

I have a TON of can lights in my house. I think I have almost 20 in my kitchen alone. I replaced 60w flood lights with 40w equivalent soft white LEDs and the light is identical. So, IME, the 40w equivalent is actually equivalent to a 60w.

They are coming down in price, thankfully. Costco often has package deals.

We have noticed our electric bill decrease. I did about half the house, mainly the kitchen and the kids' rooms because they tend to forget to turn their lights off when they leave their rooms. Our plan is to switch to solar, eventually, so we need the most energy efficient everything, anyway.

Cree makes an LED bulb with a coating so that it is cool to the touch even when it's been on for awhile. It's also more shatter-resistant.

The politics of light bulbs drives me crazy but it is what it is. Just like pajamas for children. I would be switching to LEDs without the stupid law anyway.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
DahliaRW (11-25-2015), Laurlor (11-25-2015), mommylove (11-25-2015), Quiteria (12-13-2015), ViolaMum (11-25-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #20
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Soliloquy!! We bought the lamps we needed & a slew of LEDs from Costco & we love the result.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #21
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I really do not like them. We bought some multi-colored LEDs a few years ago and it made the room seem like it was lit by a computer instead of Christmas lights (we love to sit around with nothing but the Christmas lights on). I returned them. Also we had warm whites on our house and they looked a little bit sickly green to me. I'm not a fan of any of the LEDs. I do not think they look terrible on the outside of a house, but I still prefer incandescent both inside and out. Inside, LEDs just aren't even an option for me- I would go back to the old German candles or no lights at all before buying LEDs again.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #22
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

We have warm LED. I like them. They are all pot lights (they've grown on me). They are very good for the electric bill. And honestly, we have so many it makes are house warm. We haven't had to turn on the heat yet. It's in the 40s outside our bill has gone down $100 a month since the switch and we have added a hot tub.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote