Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #151
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instant pot!

Couldn't one make a rue on the stovetop and then add it to the IP and whatever's cooking in there? I make my own rue, because I don't buy canned gluten-free cream soup.

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TraceMama For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (03-12-2017), bananacake (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #152
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceMama View Post
Couldn't one make a rue on the stovetop and then add it to the IP and whatever's cooking in there? I make my own rue, because I don't buy canned gluten-free cream soup.
Yes, that is what I was saying I would do in my post about the broccoli soup.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #153
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I usually either skip the thickening or do it with a little liquid and starch (we're GF).

FWIW, I have not used the IP to make anything that I would usually make in a crockpot, with the exception of beans (but I hate the depressurization after beans because water squirts everywhere, or you have to wait until it naturally depressuriZes). I use it to make rice, hardboiled eggs, meats that are frozen - all sorts of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #154
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Thanks, with all the cream soup (which I don't have) or make your own cream soup (I don't have potato starch) or seasoning it seems like a whole lot more work than just making it on the stove though. Do you always have to add creamed soup to things due to lack of ability to make a rue in the instant pot?

I don't do any canned cream soups. I just made the homemade version of it. I do have potato starch but as a big gluten free baker it's a standard on hand. Corn starch would work the same. Actually, I would imagine any flour would work the same.

I don't make a rue on the stove top. That's exhausting! One of my fave features of the IP is the ability to thicken the sauces after cooking by just clicking "sautee" and adding the starch or flour and let it thicken.

BUT in this recipe it didn't even require doing a post cook thicken -- just adding the ingredients to the original recipe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (03-12-2017), bananacake (03-12-2017), TraceMama (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #155
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

It turned out well!

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-12-2017), bananacake (03-12-2017), ECingMama (03-13-2017), Llee (03-13-2017), TraceMama (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #156
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I made brown rice which was good. Broccoli and fish which was barely edible.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #157
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

did you overcook the broccoli and fish?

it's easy to do in the IP

I have

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Food-Fa...t+pot+cookbook

and have made a couple of his recipes. I use it as a reference for time though for recipes that are similar.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:57 AM   #158
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:

Yea, I have never done fish in the IP and I can't see it being a good method for fish. I always broil or grill my fish.

My IP is most used for things like soups or other chicken or beef saucy type meals -- like chilis, chicken teriyaki, salsa chicken, cream cheese chicken, etc.

I also love that I can steam whole potatoes in it to make a quick batch of mashed potatoes in 10 minutes. I've been doing that a lot lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:03 AM   #159
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Default Instant pot!

The broccoli was overlooked the fish was just mushy but not over cooked really. I still can't figure out what part of what valve I'm
supposed to take off the lid to wash. I can see how to get the seal off but that's it. Does the inner lid come apart from the top of the pot somehow? The instructions seemed to indicate it did but they don't explain how at all.

The reason I tried the fish is because people in the Facebook group were talking about it. I won't be doing it again for sure.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #160
2sunshines

Yea, I imagine the IP would turn broccoli to mush. The only time I do veggies apart from some root (or similar hardy) veggies, in the IP is in a soup.

For my lid, it doesn't come apart. I remove the seal and the piece that goes over the valve and hand wash.

BUT I recently had a discussion with someone who bought an IP only a few months after I did and it sounds like they redesigned that valve cover in that time frame... So we may have two different covers....
Old 03-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #161
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Default Instant pot!

So I am making vegetable beef soup, the recipe had you add veggies towards the end. It took 40 minutes to come back to pressure after I added the veggies. So 20 minutes to come to pressure the first time, 20 minutes to cook, 40 minutes to come to pressure the second time, now 10 minutes to cook (still cooking now) not including chopping and sautéing time. So 90 plus minutes to make soup? I may see if I can return this. This is taking up my entire evening and making my DD late for something. Ironically I finally decided to buy this because we had an incident of DD leaving for practice hungry and upset without eating because dinner was taking way too long to cook.

Ok so the soup was really good. Now I'm torn on whether or not I should keep it.

Last edited by AngelaVA; 03-14-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #162
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you need to adjust your expectations concerning what you want to cook in your IP? Or give yourself some time for the learning curve?

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 03-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #163
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

What is an example of something it would be reasonable for me to expect to cook in less time than it takes cooking it another way?

Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #164
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Rice, hardboiled eggs, pieces of or shredded meat (including frozen), beans from dried. That's about my repertoire so far

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

You can cook a whole chicken from frozen in about an hour.

The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-15-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #165
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Ok we don't like boiled eggs but the rest I can do, thanks.