Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

Quote:
I bought ELAD - my kids are so excited. Looking at primal blueprint next I am loving the primal cookbooks posted to GCM So many ideas

I have to admit that the sugar in the cookbooks bother me I think sugar is WAY worse than grains BUT that said, I am not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater
It's pretty easy to avoid the sugar - it's not in many recipes at all (and even then it's mostly honey which you can reduce/cut out). For a lot of the desserts in the back of ELAD it's pretty clear are their family's way out of the SAD even when they have a treat once in awhile. Honestly, from reading the book and viewing their favorite recipes you can see what flavors/foods they were used to before revamping their diet. If your family is used to lower sugar then it won't be an issue .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #32
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we did well for the cookout. I didn't buckle and eat any potatoes, and neither did DH. We enjoyed our meal, and I drank a good bit of Kefir. Haven't had any of the Kombucha though, and the inlaws didn't try it. FIL tried a sip of the kefir but preferred not to drink it. DH complained about his, the kids kept drinking the kefir like it was better that store bought juice, though at the end of the meal asked for soda. (You win some, you lose some.) We watered it down for them.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-01-2012), Soliloquy (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy View Post

We're trying to eat more TF/Paleo/Primal. Whole foods without too many grains - even though I know the reasons behind it, I'm uncomfortable with severely restricting any whole foods

I also, um, prefer cooking vegetarian meals. Like, a lot. Cooking meat is just so greasy and messy and you can't taste it until it's cooked completely! Makes me crazy. I know part of it is that we were vegetarian when I was first learning how to cook with whole foods So I need tips about getting more comfortable with cooking meat.
If you're cooking with beef you can taste it, we eat raw beef and raw beef liver semi-regularly.

For poultry, if it's in a sauce, I taste the sauce while cooking, have for 15 years.

Oh, and I thaw meat at room temp, too, drink raw milk, and all kinds of other deadly things.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-01-2012), racheepoo (08-19-2012), Stiina (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #34
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a good online source for almond flour? What's a reasonable price?

Today I had some Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast, and then we made mini egg cups with spinach, green onion, mushroom, red pepper, and just one peice of bacon split between 12 cups.

Yum.

I think we'll do tuna lettuce wraps for lunch, and spring "pasta" for dinner: http://paleomg.com/spring-pasta/

I am concerned that we won't get enough veggies in in general, with the increase of meat I'm worried about possible getting clogged up. any tips?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
Elora (05-01-2012), euromom (05-04-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-01-2012), racheepoo (08-19-2012), tempus vernum (05-01-2012), tinybutterfly (07-12-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
Katigre
Rose Garden

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
Is there a good online source for almond flour? What's a reasonable price?
Honeyville is the oft-recommended almond flour brand, though Trader Joe's almond meal works great for us as flour (I've used it in both cookies and pancakes - the cookies aren't really cookies, they're just almond flour/coconut oil/pureed banana and apple baked together - no added sugar or anything! We put nuts and sliced figs on top ).

Quote:
I am concerned that we won't get enough veggies in in general, with the increase of meat I'm worried about possible getting clogged up. any tips?
I have found we are eating far more vegetables (especially leafy greens) than before. I just don't make recipes that are straight meat unless there's a salad/veggie side dish attached. Otherwise I prefer to cook 'all in one' meat+lots of veg dishes and then have an additional veggie side which helps in getting more.

Ex. Sausage/cabbage/apple saute - this is from the 6 oclock scramble and is paleo and SOoooooooo good. Frittatta with mushrooms/swiss chard/onions/parsley, shepherds pie with extra veggies, soup with meat and veggies in it, etc... Primal Cookbook has a LOT Of recipes like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-01-2012), Elora (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #36
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

I also think I need to do a dessert of some kind tonight... To motivate everyone to stick with it. any ideas? I have coconut flour but not almond flour. I did just get a lot of fruit, I have some dark chocolate, xylitol, honey. I'd love to do those frosting shots, but I don't have canned coconut milk.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Thanks! I couldn't find the almond meal at tj's the other day...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #37
Katigre
Rose Garden

The other way to stay regular is green smoothies, especially if you add kefir (you can use coconut kefir instead of yogurt kefir if you are dairy-free). That helps keep DD regular and we all love them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
I also think I need to do a dessert of some kind tonight... To motivate everyone to stick with it. any ideas? I have coconut flour but not almond flour. I did just get a lot of fruit, I have some dark chocolate, xylitol, honey. I'd love to do those frosting shots, but I don't have canned coconut milk.
I would do fondue with fruit dipped in melted chocolate. FWIW, I would *not* use xylitol as a regular sweetener. That would be getting a lot more per day than our bodies can handle. Kids should have 6ish grams a day (that's 1 1/2 tsp) and adults no more than 10g. You get no additional benefit for teeth once you're beyond the 6-8 grams point (toddlers seem like 4-6g is where they get the benefit). I'd use honey instead. Xylitol is still a processed food product, far more than honey, so I'd take it for therapeutic reasons (dental health - killing off bad bacteria in the mouth) vs. replacement of sugar (I am VERY against any replacement sugar substitutes though so that's my own personal bias ).

Last edited by Katigre; 05-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-01-2012), Elora (05-01-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #38
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Good advice.

Fondue? Just melt the chocolate, or should I add something?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #39
Katigre
Rose Garden

What kind of chocolate is it? Unsweetened, semisweet, etc...? We do 85%-90% bars of chocolate over here so I'd just melt that and not add additional flavoring unless asked (I might use some milk in it to thin it so it's not too gloppy). If you're using unsweetened then a little honey might be good. You could try adding cinnamon. If it's below 85% chocolate no added sugar is needed as it's already pretty sweet.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #40
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

We had bacon and lactofermented lemon gelatin for breakfast.

Quick and easy desserts.
Nourished and Nurtured: Blueberry Banana Muffins (GAPS-legal, grain- and gluten-free)
Two Holiday Recipes: Chocolate Peppermint and Coconut Citrus Fudge | OUR NOURISHING ROOTS

I am going to write a book someday for the lazy people on GAPS. It helps that C doesn't tolerate eggs and neither of us tolerate nuts so I just don't bake. We also don't mind eating very simply and find variety way overrated compared to doing other more fun things.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-01-2012), euromom (05-04-2012), Soliloquy (05-01-2012), tempus vernum (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #41
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Amy, we can be your recipe testers <---to avoid the tomatoes cuz we can eat almost everything on full gaps. I am too lazy to write a book/recipes but I have a HUGE binder of recipes I have printed off the internet - I just keep printing and adding to it

Jen, I'd use no sugar baking chocolate with coconut oil and honey for fondue or I'd just dip and let them cool and dry for chocolate covered strawberries/fruit

My dessert tonight is going to be cocoa lara bars which Mama Mansa made for us
This is straight from MamaMansa who served us a meal saturday that I didn't have to bring a thing

Quote:
Date paste (same amount you use for your recipes...not sure how much that is, I just do it by sight based off of the time you sent some here...1 1/2 cups maybe?)
~1/2 cup walnut meal
~1/2 cup pecan meal
3 Tb. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 plus 1/16 tsp. salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup Trader Joes chocolate chips (Jodi's note: i'm going to use homemade gaps chocolate pieces)

These were based off the recipe I found here (and she has loads of yummy ones!): http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/201...wnie-larabars/
I am making more...

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 05-01-2012 at 02:34 PM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-01-2012), crunchymum (05-01-2012), teamommy (05-12-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big fan of Dr Fuhrman's "nutritarian" way of eating. Basically it's 90% produce, mushrooms, beans and nuts. Ideally only 1 serving of grains/day. Only about 14 oz of animal products a week. I thrive on the diet. My family is still struggling with it (well dh and ds anyway, dd will eat anything). I make steel-cut oats (soaked overnight) with lots of fruit, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, blackstrap mollases, pb, and raisins for breakfast most days. Lunch is usually leftovers, smoothies, beans, or salad (or any combination). Dinner I usually make a salad, big veggie stir "fry" or casserole and some sort of (usually organic) meat for dh. I'm struggling with not obsessing over food since figuring out the decade of pain in my back was actually my gallbladder or liver being irritated from processed food and meat. I'm also an emotional eater who loves dessert and comfort foods so I'm trying to just focus on eating lots of high nutrient food and not really stress about it. My go to for dessert/chocolate craving is chopped apples sprinkled with cocoa powder (with dates and pb sometimes too). It's really hard when dh is so attached to his SAD food and I know from experience that eating that food will eventually cause pain and disease .
I've also started making kombucha

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs

Last edited by passthemanna; 05-01-2012 at 10:55 AM.
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-01-2012), crunchymum (05-01-2012), teamommy (05-12-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #43
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Almond flour can be pretty hit and miss at TJ's. I'm getting in the habit of keeping an extra bag or two around for when they don't have any (which is usually whenever I need it ).

How about this for a dessert? Coconut Frosting Shots. Saw it on someone Pinterest and am thinking I need to try it.
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #44
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

those are the ones I was talking about, but I don't have canned coconut milk. I have made "whipped cream" out of coconut milk and it yummmmmy. I can imagine this would be, too!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #45
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

What does SAD stand for?

subbing...we're cutting out sugar and gluten (well, DH is going "low-gluten" ). I have chronic (11 years) headaches and after being on gcm I think gluten/sugar is the reason. It's been a week and I don't feel any different but I'm not expecting overnight changes!

What does paleo/primal mean, exactly? And someone mentioned not eating potatoes...how are potatoes not primal??
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote