Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all
Default Do you have a special dinner?

My birthday is coming up and we usually pick what we want for dinner on our birthdays! I we've been trying to eat healthier so I have no idea what to pick this year for dinner or my cake. I'd like something we wouldn't normally have..maybe even fancy. DH is cooking
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have a special dinner?

I used to, growing up. Lasagna or rosemary chicken. DH has several favorites: thanksgiving dinner, lasagna, stuffed shells.

Now that we eat totally differently I'd say most of our favorites are just whatever looks good at the farmer's market, grilled. If I were planning something fancy it would be salmon. Maybe a more expensive cut of meat you wouldn't regularly buy. Lamb chops? Go overboard in the seasonal veggie section and grill everything, leftovers are great!

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

One of my favourite meals right now is salmon. We eat it regularly, and it's still very special because all of us love it so much. Plus it's super healthy.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
One of my favourite meals right now is salmon. We eat it regularly, and it's still very special because all of us love it so much. Plus it's super healthy.
We looove salmon but prefer to buy US caught if possible. It's hard to find that here or if we do,it has red dye added.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

My favorites are usually assemble-yourself type deals.

Mongolian BBQ is delicious- chop a bunch of veggies and whatever you'd like in a stir fry plus soy sauce, ginger, etc. and everyone assembles what they want (raw) and cook each individually in a pan. Put it with some rice in a tortilla and eat it. Here's what my favorite place has for options http://www.gomongo.com/menu/create-a...uild-your-bowl (I haven't been there in years because there isn't one near me but I love love love this restaurant and we've had success replicating it at home)

My other favorite is Cafe Rio, Chipotle, or Qdoba type meal. Refried beans (not from a can), rice, fresh salsa, cilantro lime dressing, giant tortillas, crushed chips, guac, etc and everyone can make themselves a salad or a burrito. Here's an example from their website http://www.caferio.com/food/menu/tostada

Or we also like to make our own sushi with lots of fun stuff like mangoes, strawberries, etc in addition to the regular (we never do meat or fish- just veggies and fruit)

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

Haha maybe I should go to chipotle! Or one year I went to the hibachi place..yummmy
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSam View Post
We looove salmon but prefer to buy US caught if possible. It's hard to find that here or if we do,it has red dye added.
Where do you live?

We buy only wild caught Alaskan Salmon, and although it's a little more expensive than farm raised, it's pretty easily accessible.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Another healthy treat meal for us would be a really prime cut of steak. Paired with sauteed onions and mushrooms, and a large side of grilled veggies and you've got almost perfection.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Where do you live?

We buy only wild caught Alaskan Salmon, and although it's a little more expensive than farm raised, it's pretty easily accessible.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Another healthy treat meal for us would be a really prime cut of steak. Paired with sauteed onions and mushrooms, and a large side of grilled veggies and you've got almost perfection.
Ohio
Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

They have BD's Mongolian BBQ in Ohio. It is so good!!!!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I like to go to Chipotle to celebrate. I love their food. The Melting Pot is also hugely fun if one has the money.

At home we fix steaks on the grill with sides and a wedge salad or we might make chiles rellenos, the kids usually choose ravioli or some type of pasta for their special meals.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
OnlyBelieve
Rose Garden

OnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond repute

Today is JJ's home cooked birthday dinner. He has requested Japanese chicken katsu curry. Tomorrow will be his eat out birthday dinner and he has chosen a Mexican place.

I think you should choose something you really enjoy. It is hard deciding sometimes though......
Mother to ds, JJ (July 2001), dd, AJ (July 2004), dd, F (March 2014) and three (m/c) I hope to hold in Heaven (1997 - 10 weeks, 1998 - 13 weeks, 2002 - 11 weeks)
OnlyBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote