Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gluten free baking talk

I did a lot of baking for our GF support group for about 4 or 5 yrs before my fibro got out of control. I did the decorated cakes for the children in the group, so I had to develop some recipes that are 'junk' food, so if you need doughnuts, yeast rolls, I have made soft pretzels, cakes and cookies, I could maybe type them up of maybe Hadassah can put some of them up for me. I won't swear they will be the healthiest, but you can at least use them as a starting point to tweak and make into your own.

We had a really good free forum that was a group of us working together to develop recipes for substitutes and then as we got weaned off of the gluten, we started learning more about different grains. There are so many healthier options available now that are mainstream than there were 13 yrs ago. PTL!

I remember only having access to the starches and rice........I had never heard of any other flours more exotic than buckwheat flour. LOL I guess we are really blessed in how the market has changed in the states.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #17
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Thanks for all the awesome recipes! We've been gf for a few years now and I am an avid baker but my specialties tend to be the easier things you've already mastered. I make LOTS of muffins and cookies and quick breads for the kids. Perfect for school lunches and snacks. So I'm subbing for some of these other recipes. Honestly, I find that I tend to do less and less of the gf "substitutes" and lean very heavily on naturally gf foods but I do want to perfect some of these other things.

Do you have gluten free muffin and quick bread recipes?
Save
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #18
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Yes! A plethora of them!

Here are some of my kids faves and go to's. Fwiw, I pretty much always half the sugar in any given recipe anyway.

Chocolate peanut butter muffins: http://www.bakerita.com/chocolate-pe...anana-muffins/

Banana muffins (recipe is chocolate chip based, but I sub anything -- fruit, nuts, etc): http://knowgluten.me/2013/05/11/choc...s-gluten-free/

Chocolate chip yogurt gluten free quick bread: https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/...e-chip-yogurt/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
charla (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #19
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

So many exciting recipe ideas, I cant wait to try them!!! Ill have to check my pantry in a few and figure out which ones I already have the ingredients to make.

So, I've been GF since January. When I went DF I did not like any of the cheesy substitute products but did like them after a year or so later. So baring that in mind, I just didnt bother with gluten free subs. Now that Ive been GF for 6 months I have started adding stuff in but I dont intend for it to become a large part of my diet. MAINLY, I miss the act of baking but I dont like baking things I cant at least taste so making conventional stuff would be no fun. I used to make a loaf of bread every week. I SOOO miss that. And I find I really do like gluten free bagels but they are so $$$... And I need to master pizza that we can make and freeze for make-ahead meals. I've also been using Ener-G bread for toast with eggs cus I don't like eggs plain. It be nice to be making my own bread to replace that. Will the GF bread not last as long as my gluten home made bread? Cus that didnt have preservatives either?

Im not sure what is meant about the flavor of the whole grains being something to adjust to? Is it different flavors from gluten-y whole grains? Cus that almost exclusively all I have ever had in my life. Whole wheat and buckwheat, etc. For cooking, buying premade products, etc.

Id say may diet has been very far form the SAD for over 10 years now. So that helps things too.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
knitlove (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

This makes a great vegan pizza crust:
http://www.pennilessparenting.com/20...t-bread-i.html

It's fluffier and lighter if you make the recipe as is, but I find the flours to be very versatile.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

This may sounds gross, but it's SO good:

Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
2 cups warm chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/8 cup agave with 10 drops vanilla liquid stevia mixed in
1/4 cup natural peanut butter (I prefer salted)
1/4 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips*

Mix the first 3 ingredients in the food processor. Transfer it to a bowl and mix in the chocolate chips*. This comes out to be about 1 3/4 cups. Each 1/4 cup serving is 5 points plus.

And this bread is SO good as well:
Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Chai Bread with Cranberries

I made this yesterday: really good! I adapted this recipe at Gluten-free Goddess's blog.

Pumpkin Chai Bread with Cranberries

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil the bottom of a standard bread loaf pan or 8x10 baking pan and dust with gluten-free flour.

Combine in a large bowl:
1 rounded cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup light olive oil
1 cup organic light brown sugar or 1/2 cup raw agave nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Ener-G Egg Replacer for 2 eggs made with warm water (I used eggs)
1/3 to 1/2 cup orange juice (start with less, add more as needed, you can also use apple juice or cider)

Whisk together in a separate bowl:
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (I used a combo of buckwheat/sorghum/tapioca starch)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice or cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I left this out because I can't find mine)

Add the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and stir until smooth. If the batter looks too thin and wet, add more gluten-free flour, a tablespoon at a time, to thicken the batter.

Add-In Options:
3/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries (added these)

She also says you can add one or more of the following: I didn't use any of these in order to make it Bear-friendly, though I may try chocolate chips next time.
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup golden or dark raisins
1/2 cup vegan gluten-free soy-free chocolate chips

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf or baking pan (I used a 8X8 flatter baking pan) and bake in the center of a preheated oven for 40 minutes to an hour, until the loaf is firm, a bit crusty, and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean.

Cool the loaf on a wire rack.

I had to add extra flour (1/4 cup brown rice flour), but it still could have used a little more flour.

****I'm focusing on my vegan recipes because several of you are egg free. I have a lot of egg-containing recipes as well

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #21
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

So many recipes that sound yuck are actually yum... This is what I use for gravy recipe, chage seasonings to make it a morning "biscuit and gravy" sort recipe or dinner time mashed potatoes and gravy option.... http://glutenfreevegan.me/savory-white-bean-gravy/
Old 06-07-2017, 02:31 AM   #22
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
So many recipes that sound yuck are actually yum... This is what I use for gravy recipe, chage seasonings to make it a morning "biscuit and gravy" sort recipe or dinner time mashed potatoes and gravy option.... http://glutenfreevegan.me/savory-white-bean-gravy/
My main go to gravy is navy bean based. My kids have no idea that they're dumping beans all over their mashed potatoes and it's their absolute fave gravy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-07-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #23
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
My main go to gravy is navy bean based. My kids have no idea that they're dumping beans all over their mashed potatoes and it's their absolute fave gravy!

Would you mind sharing that one again, too?
Save
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-07-2017), Maedchen (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #24
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

Might be the same as the one I posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
charla (06-07-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #25
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Would you mind sharing that one again, too?
Save
I had to actually look for it since I basically make it impromptu now with whatever I feel like throwing in. But here's the basic recipe:

http://runningwithtongs.com/2014/03/...te-bean-gravy/

I use dry navy beans that I've cooked in the IP. I use chicken broth because we're not vegetarian and it's easy. I have both subbed gluten free flour and eliminated all flour and both turn out well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
charla (06-08-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-08-2017)