Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default pumpkin pie from scratch

actually its just the filling i want made from scratch. we've got all these pumpkins lying about after all.

i gutted, cut up and am now baking one of the pumpkins (didn't have room in my oven for the other)

what all goes into the filling? im guessing some egg, milk, sugar and spices?

how much pumpkin makes one pie?

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pumpkin pie from scratch

Make sure you aren't using jack o lantern pumpkins. They don't taste good, they are watery and stringy and you won't like what you get.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

i was told by OTHER gcmers on chat that it would be fine lol

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

This is the recipe I followed last year and it worked really well! It tells how to prep the pumpkin too and follows that with the actual recipe. I use an oatmeal crust instead of a regular pie crust because I'm lazy and buy lots of bulk oats that I need to use up

www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using a non-pie pumpkin variety, I've found that cooking it a bit to thicken it and drain off some excess liquid helps with the less sweet pumpkin varieties.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (11-19-2010), Chaos Coordinator (11-24-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
dylansmom
Rose Blossom

dylansmom is on a distinguished road

We got some pumpkins from a pumpkin patch for $1.00 each after Halloween. I cooked those up. After I cooked them, I pureed the pumpkin in the blender. It's worked great for pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and pumpkin pies! I used a pumpkin pie recipe I found on the internet at http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php

It was great! I used only 1 can of milk and 3 eggs and it turned out great. I would have used a little extra sugar but I ran out and I'm glad b/c it tastes sweet enough - especially topped with whipped topping.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
nadezhda
Deactivated

God's will cannot lead me where His grace will not keep me.

nadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond repute

Save yourself some work & just cut some slits in the pumpkin & bake it whole. Once it cools, it will be MUCH easier to gut and you can scrape out the flesh. If using a big pumpkin, puree the flesh & cook it down on the stove for like, 3 hours.

My pumpkin pie recipe takes sour cream. Most recipes call for either evap. milk or condensed milk. The recipe I use is here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cr...ie/Detail.aspx I use more spices (lots of ginger, if you have it) b/c I like a spicy pie.

Good luck!
nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadezhda For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (11-24-2010), me (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Definitely bake and dont boil just like nadezhda mentioned. The filling is fluffier and creamier that way.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

ok i made the filling according the directions on the pick your own website. except i screwed up the spices a little but that's not that big of a deal. and i didn't have any vanilla and i didn't add salt. BUT. the big difference was, i used reg milk instead of evap milk because i was being cheap and that i used 2 cups of sugar for three pies. so i cut way back on the sugar (esp when u consider it says to do 1.5 cups of sugar per pie if using jack o lantern pumpkins)

but, after 3 hours baking in the oven, they were finally non-jiggly and solid pies. and delicious!! and kind of too sweet

next time - and there WILL be a next time - i will cut slits instead of cutting up the whole pumpkin, what a great suggestion!! should i dig out the pulp first or can that wait too?

and next time, i will add less sugar. AND cook the pumpkin down a bit so its not so watery.

and also maybe use a bigger food processor my food processor must only be like 1 cup or something ridiculously small, because it took me forEVer to puree 7 cups of pumpkin (only supposed to need 6 but i kept having to add milk to the puree to get it to blend instead of just sitting there on top of the blades, so i accounted for that milk when mixing the filling)

H loves it. he thinks its cake

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I usually cut back the sugar in pie recipes a LOT unless I'm making them for my extended family because they're used to having HFCS in a lot of things

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

yeah i still have this awful sweet taste in my mouth. but idk. the real test will be what my grandma thinks. lol

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you!
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #13
MiriamRose
Rose Garden

Growing is hard work

MiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference, here's what I use which is from my hardcopy of Betty Crocker. My dad has been using this recipe for years and it's always great!! In fact I just baked 2 pies tonight to take to Thanksgiving tomorrow.

1 can of pureed pumpkin (or obviously you could use your own cooked and pureed pumpkin)
1 can evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves

Beat the eggs first then beat in all other ingredients. I make my own crust too, and if you do that, then cook the whole thing for 15 minutes at 425 F, then turn it down to 350 F for 45 minutes. Soooooo good!!

Wife to my Submariner for 5 years!
MiriamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
nadezhda
Deactivated

God's will cannot lead me where His grace will not keep me.

nadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessisblessed View Post
next time - and there WILL be a next time - i will cut slits instead of cutting up the whole pumpkin, what a great suggestion!! should i dig out the pulp first or can that wait too?
Wait to dig out the pulp. Just cut slits in the whole pumpkin (kinda like how you prick a potato before you bake/microwave it to let the steam out) & bake whole for about an hour - until it's soft enough to poke a butter knife or skewer through. Let it cool before halving & scooping the pulp: steam burns are NOT fun! The bonus to this method is that the inside is steamed, so it's really soft & fluffy! You can mash it w/a fork or potato masher in lieu of the food processor. Or, just add less pumpkin to your processor & do smaller batches.

So glad you had a good experience! Another trick (shhh) is to use a combination of pumpkin & butternut squash. The butternut is creamier than pumpkin, and has a bit more flavor. I used about 1 c. of each in my pie for Thanksgiving and it had an almost satiny mouth feel.
nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

I grow my own pumpkins and make scratch pie all the time.

Bake it however you want, as long as it's nice and tender when it's done. I wouldn't cook it down – it changes the flavour (been there, tried it). Instead, I use a large colander lined with cheesecloth (or these days, a very large, fine-mesh strainer that I bought a couple of years ago). Dump all the pureed pumpkin in there and let it drain for 30 to 60 minutes, stirring periodically. Discard the liquid. The texture of the flesh that's left will be perfect for pie.

Mine is very similar to a previous poster's. This is the basic recipe. I often like my spices stronger, so I double them if I know the people I'm serving will like it that way, too.

2 cups pumpkin puree
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
160 ml (about 5.5 oz) evaporated milk

Combine all ingredients (use a mixer if you like) and pour into your favourite pie crust, already prepared for an uncooked filling. Bake at 450˚F for 10 minutes, then at 350˚F for 40 to 45 minutes. It will set further as it cools.

No way a pumpkin pie should spend 3 hours in the oven. Evaporated milk is definitely a must. Don't substitute condensed milk either, just because you have it in the pantry (blech).

Fwiw, I use jack-o-lantern pumpkins (Connecticut Field, large op variety) all the time and they taste just as good as the pie pumpkins. I'm growing them myself, though, so that might be the difference.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (11-28-2010), Chaos Coordinator (11-26-2010)