Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I make this cake? **Updated Pics Post #30**

Is there a cake decorating mama who could guide me through making this cake please

This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page

Last edited by JoyGal; 01-22-2011 at 01:40 PM.
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation
Default Re: How do I make this cake?

Super cute! But I am not a cake decorating expert. So I have no clue!

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Lily
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

Gorgeous! I have a friend who decorates cakes, let me ask her tomorrow.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lily For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you will have better replies than mine. But looking at that (and i'm not bad at cakes!) I'd have not much hope! What I would do is bake 2 cakes - I'd either buy a small square tin for the top one, or actually it might be better to bake a larger oblong or square cake, and then do a sandwich layer so that you get it double thickness and benefit of jam in the middle.

Butter cream both cakes separately, and then put your roll out icing on them. I'd then decorate the bottom cake first - I think I would get a little flower cutter, and stamp out coloured flowers out of more roll out icing (do you call that fondant icing?) and stick those on the side of the cake with a little icing sugar paste. Or you could buy icing flowers to decorate it. (That's what they have done in the picture).

For the top one, I'd be tempted to use REAL ribbon to tie on top of the cake, instead of making icing strips, or if I did icing strips I would simplify the top bit.

I would also buy sweets to stick on the top layer cake instead of more roll out icing circles - for variation of taste as much as anything.

If that doesn't help at all I am sorry, but it was fun thinking about!!! xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi View Post
Super cute! But I am not a cake decorating expert. So I have no clue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Gorgeous! I have a friend who decorates cakes, let me ask her tomorrow.
Thank you!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalH View Post
I'm sure you will have better replies than mine. But looking at that (and i'm not bad at cakes!) I'd have not much hope! What I would do is bake 2 cakes - I'd either buy a small square tin for the top one, or actually it might be better to bake a larger oblong or square cake, and then do a sandwich layer so that you get it double thickness and benefit of jam in the middle.

Butter cream both cakes separately, and then put your roll out icing on them. I'd then decorate the bottom cake first - I think I would get a little flower cutter, and stamp out coloured flowers out of more roll out icing (do you call that fondant icing?) and stick those on the side of the cake with a little icing sugar paste. Or you could buy icing flowers to decorate it. (That's what they have done in the picture).

For the top one, I'd be tempted to use REAL ribbon to tie on top of the cake, instead of making icing strips, or if I did icing strips I would simplify the top bit.

I would also buy sweets to stick on the top layer cake instead of more roll out icing circles - for variation of taste as much as anything.

If that doesn't help at all I am sorry, but it was fun thinking about!!! xxx
It could be fondant...I'm honestly not totally sure. Where would I buy it? Our area does not have a baking store, wonder if I can make it
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

It's fondant Do a search here or even on Google for "Marshmallow fondant" or "MM fondant". The pink around the base of the cakes is piped, but all of the rest appears to be fondant.

ETA: The stems and leaves are piped, too.
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (01-08-2011), JoyGal (01-08-2011), rosesnsnails (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy fondant at Michaels or other craft stores. IMO it tastes yucky though and I would attempt to make my own fondant. Do make marshmallow fondant as real fondant is insanely hard to make the right consistency.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011), rosesnsnails (01-08-2011), StumblinMama (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

Marshmallow fondant is ridiculously easy to work with, but that bow on top would be incredibly difficult. It looks like a layered round cake topped with a layered square cake, frosted, fondanted, decorated :P
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
Marshmallow fondant is ridiculously easy to work with, but that bow on top would be incredibly difficult. It looks like a layered round cake topped with a layered square cake, frosted, fondanted, decorated :P
Could you nix the bow and put Dora, Boots and Swiper (b/c he's my favorite ) on top instead?
The Following User Says Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an expert, but I have done tiered cakes with bows. You will need to make your bow in advance so that it can harden up.
MM Fondant is good for eating and making cutouts, but you might find that storebought fondant is a little easier for making the bows because it is more stiff. But, if you mess up and are using MMF, you have the benefit of just being able to microwave it again and start over.

Do a search for 'fondant loop bow tutorial". They are not hard to do, my very first fondant project ever was a bow.

The ladybugs and butterfly actually look like purchased items, or else they could be color flow icing. I don't know.

I honestly can't tell what type of tip they used for the flowers. If you are already doing fondant stuff, you can just make flowers out of fondant. Maybe get some small heart cutters and use those for the petals. Then you will already have some heart cutters if you want to make cupcakes or cookies for Valentines or something.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Would these help We'll never tell your secret.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011), TrinMama (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tTurnLeft View Post
You can buy fondant at Michaels or other craft stores. IMO it tastes yucky though and I would attempt to make my own fondant. Do make marshmallow fondant as real fondant is insanely hard to make the right consistency.

The white Wilton Fondant is not so bad anymore. It really isn't. It used to be awful, but now it is not as bad.
In fact, I did a cake and cut out letters with wilton fondant and stuck them on the cake board. It was really funny to see people eat the letters. In fact, one person, whom I would consider a food snob, went on and on about how good my fondant tasted, and normally she does not eat it, but since she knew I made my own out of marshmallow, she ate it.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011), StumblinMama (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the flowers and bugs look store bought. Here's a link to the shell border that is used. http://www.wilton.com/technique/Shell . On the same page you can find a link to fondant if you want tips for using it. I would probably buy the fondant already made from Michael's (or anywear that sells a good assortment of Wilton cake supplies) for a first attempt.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

The flowers and the ladybugs looked like purchased pressed-sugar decorations. Grocery stores use them to decorate cakes, not sure where they get them though. I don't know what they're officially called, but they're basically like sugar cubes except in other shapes, and then airbrushed with dye for the colour.
Kiara.I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the recipe for the fondant I make and use:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
It is very easy to make and work with. And it is easy to color whatever color you like.
Everyone else has given great advice! Have fun!
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)