Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sweet iced tea help

Dude, I've lived in the South for 9 years now and *still* can't recreate sweet tea. If I want it, I send DH to McDonalds and get one of those huge $1 sweet teas w/no ice, then I add ice at home. Maybe one of the suggestions in this thread will help me make decent tea. it's worth a try.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
everydaygrace
Climbing Rose

everydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the method of adding sugar while hot. That's what makes the difference in taste between southern sweet tea or just iced tea that's sweetened.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute

#1 Buy Lipton loose leaf tea, it's far superior to the ground up mess they put in bags.
#2 Brew 3 heaping teaspoons in 8 cups water

#3 Get out a 2 1/4 quart pitcher. Pour a little cool water in the bottom and add 1 1/4- 1 1/2 c. sugar. This is so the hot water doesn't scorch the sugar.
#4 Add brewed tea (strained if you do it in a pot) to the pitcher and stir the sugar and liquid mixture. It will dissolve nicely.
#5 Fill the pitcher to the spout with cold water and stir with a big spoon.
#6 Pour a cup of your own before it disappears before your very eyes and people are begging you to brew more.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
mrsd
Rose Trellis

mrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond repute

Also, use Lussianne (sp?) brand tea...it does make a differernce.
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
we use a large pitcher, 3 family size bags of tea, and 1.5 cups of sugar. boil the water in a kettle, pour it into the pitcher w/ the sugar, stir. add the tea bags and steep, then top off w/ cold water.
I am so glad you put the bolded. I have only ever bought the family-sized tea bags, and when everybody kept on and on about using 8 to 10 tea bags, I was very confused and wondering what kind of bitter nasty tea everyone was making .
Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #21
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

not southern but my moms recipe - boil ~3qts water to rolling boil, turn off heat and add 4-5 teabags (she usually uses lipton). let sit one hr, put 3/4c sugar (more if you like more, or less, to suit taste) in bottom of 1gal pitcher. remove tea bags and squeeze out excess, dump tea in pitcher, stir, add water to fill and refridgerate. serve over ice if not cold when wanted. can also add lemon to pitcher with the water.
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #22
UltraMother
Rose Garden

UltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleidopy View Post
Dude, I've lived in the South for 9 years now and *still* can't recreate sweet tea. If I want it, I send DH to McDonalds and get one of those huge $1 sweet teas w/no ice, then I add ice at home. Maybe one of the suggestions in this thread will help me make decent tea. it's worth a try.
McD's sweet iced tea is completely unacceptable. I had one a few weeks ago to try it, and there's no way they use real sugar.

Babies-they just grow on you.
UltraMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #23
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, do use Luzianne if you want authentic sweet tea.

For a gallon, boil 3 quarts water. Add 3 family-size tea bags, then 2 cups sugar. Let it sit 20 minutes. Pour into your pitcher and fill with cold water/ice until it reaches a gallon.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

The alternate "recipe" is: drive to nearest Lee's Chicken. Buy 1 gallon sweet tea. Serve over ice.
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to relizabeth For This Useful Post:
SouthPaw (06-26-2011)