Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking money from brother

How do I deal with stealing? The school is having a book fair today and both boys were going to be given money to spend there. It's the first time in a long time that I've actually been able to not set a ridiculously low limit. I was going to give them $10 each. The books are about three dollars and I've only ever been allowed to get one.
They both have also been saving their money. So they thought of the money that they had was what they got to spend. max came up a little short of what he wanted so he took five dollars out of Bear's piggy bank. bear's piggy bank was the only one with a bill in it.
After lying about it Max finally came clean. I'm not sure how he should make amends to his brother. Giving the money back is a given, but what else would you do? I'm not going to take away getting anything from the book fair. I've asked him to think about what he thinks he should do to make amends.
What would you do?

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Anyone?

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Sparrow:
Quiteria (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking money from brother

Is this a first time type thing? Or does he sometimes take some of his brothers stuff? He's 7?

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Zacchaeus said if he takes anything that isn't his, he restores it fourfold. That could work.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
Is this a first time type thing? Or does he sometimes take some of his brothers stuff? He's 7?
Second time the accusation came up. It was change last time, so there was no way to "prove" it. He says he doesn't feel bad.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Zacchaeus said if he takes anything that isn't his, he restores it fourfold. That could work.
One way or another that comes out of my pocket and I don't have $20. It feels then that I'm the one with the consequence.

Mama to:

Old 11-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Second time the accusation came up. It was change last time, so there was no way to "prove" it. He says he doesn't feel bad.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

One way or another that comes out of my pocket and I don't have $20. It feels then that I'm the one with the consequence.
Could he do his brother's chores to make up the amount that would be worth?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-04-2015), Quiteria (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Sparrow
Rose Garden

No. I don't pay for chores unless it's something above and beyond - like cleaning up their sister's toys, doing her laundry or other stuff that's normally something intend to but can't. And indont pay tons.

Mama to:

Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

He could still do chores as payment without it involving money directly. ?
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
bananacake (11-04-2015), everybody's mother (11-08-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PeasInAPod View Post
He could still do chores as payment without it involving money directly. ?
That's what I was thinking. So if you don't pay for chores, that's fine- just decide that he has to do his brother's chores for however long to make up for it. Or you could not make him but just encourage him that it's a good way to make amends. You know your kids best as far as that goes.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 11-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Could you encourage him to give his brother his extra money for the book fair? You were going to give them each $10 instead of the usual $3ish to get one book...what if he still got to buy one book/item, but gave his brother the rest of his spending money?

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through this and was at a loss too.

I had the child give the money back and apologize.

I don't think you need to do anything else.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
bananacake (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Sparrow
Rose Garden

I didn't do anything else!

Mama to:

The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #12
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've asked him to think about what he thinks he should do to make amends.
Perhaps you could just wait for a while and see if he comes up with something constructive. And if he does not, you could remind him. His own idea of making amends might be the best one.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #13
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't do anything else!
But aren't you wanting to do something else? If not, I'm really confused on what you/re asking

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #14
Sparrow
Rose Garden

What's confusing? I was told I probably didn't need to do anything else and I replied that I didn't do anything else. We left it as it was. He was not in the emotional position yesterday to have a talk about stealing will probably do that this weekend

Mama to:

The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #15
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What's confusing? I was told I probably didn't need to do anything else and I replied that I didn't do anything else. We left it as it was. He was not in the emotional position yesterday to have a talk about stealing will probably do that this weekend
Sorry. I thought the point of your OP was you wanted to do something else.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2015)