Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cool things you have done to/for your home

A couple of months ago I *finally* whitewashed our red brick fireplace. It was actually super easy, fun and has made a huge difference in our family room space. I now LOVE this room that I used to hate. I did end up splurging on a Craiglist couch that has really helped with the comfi-ness of the room, but the fireplace alone cost almost nothing and was a great 'easy' fix by itself.

Made me think to ask...what have you done to/for your home that has been surprisingly great?!
2sunshines (01-18-2017), GlacierLily (01-31-2017), SalH (02-01-2017), squiddles (01-21-2017), zak (01-21-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cool things you have done to/for your home

I painted my ugly brown kitchen cabinets three years ago.....and they are still behind the couch because we've never found the $500 worth of handles and new hinges that I bought when the house was empty. At this point, I am assuming the carpet guys either took them by accident (if the boxes were in the way) or on purpose.

I still prefer my white kitchen cabinet bases to the ugly brown.

But we're going to have to borrow from our emergency fund to buy new hinges and handles here before baby comes. House will be for sale next year anyway.

And....glad you like your space better!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (01-18-2017), Sweet Life (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

oooh, I think a thread like this absolutely REQUIRES photographic evidence! I wanna see these things!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (01-23-2017), esperanza (01-18-2017), GlacierLily (01-31-2017), knitlove (01-18-2017), mamaKristin (01-18-2017), Quiteria (01-21-2017), sprout (01-18-2017), squiddles (01-21-2017), Sweet Life (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
oooh, I think a thread like this absolutely REQUIRES photographic evidence! I wanna see these things!
subtle hint?

Here's a 'before' pic. Ya'll will have to live in wicked suspense until I can take an 'after' pic.

I should add that one of my favorite moves (that took EONS of convincing/pleading with DH) was to move the hack job of our media set up to a different room. Win for the wife - it's OUT of this room. Win for the hubby, he ended up with a bigger TV. )

2sunshines (01-19-2017), Beth1231 (01-18-2017), Dandelion (01-22-2017), GlacierLily (01-31-2017), knitlove (01-18-2017), KSL (01-18-2017), RooMama (01-31-2017), squiddles (01-21-2017), twoplustwo (01-19-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

The insides of two of our closets are painted a soft, sunny yellow. I want to do the other closets but haven't yet.

Not a huge deal, but we just took out the giant plain mirror in the hall bathroom and replaced it with an oval one that is framed AND is a medicine cabinet. It's so much prettier and more useful now.

Best thing we've done was get a storm shelter put into the garage. I feel SO much safer now When people come over for the first time if they know we have it they usually want to check it out.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I am considering doing a whitewash on our brick fireplace, so I'm stalking this thread.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-19-2017), GlacierLily (01-31-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet Life- what an adorable family photo! And I can't wait for pictures too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017), sprout (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

My house is where beige came to DIE! When we moved in, every wall, ceiling, and door was beige. . The first floor is 95% painted except the great room needs another coat.

Our woodstove used to sit on cracked floor tile that wasn't even glued down. Dh built a slate hearth.

The railings on our second floor used to be strictly aesthetic. They were so poorly installed that they would've saved no one. Dh replaced them and the new ones are gorgeous.

Bbl!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017), squiddles (01-21-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 AM   #9
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

I also have a brick/stone fireplace that I would love to do something with but not sure what so I can't wait to see after pics!

Love all the other updates. I'm always looking for inexpensive DIY improvements to the house. It's amazing how much difference such a little thing can make. So what a fantastic thread for ideas!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017), mamaKristin (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Can't think of anything to share at this point, but I love this thread.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my terrible fireplace. I would love to remove the brick and replace it with stone, but $$. So, I'm hoping to:
- maybe whitewash or paint the brick
- paint the bookshelves (they are on both sides, plus our tv is to the right. I'd mount the tv over the fireplace, but it's not a good set up for viewing)
- mount a lovely beam over the exisiting mantle - with any luck, it will literally overshadow that...charming () arch.
and then we are going to replace the carpet in there with something else, probably vinyl flooring.

I really should have tidied the room first! DH's work laptop, the old vcr, the open cupboard door to access the playstation....yeah

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017), RooMama (01-31-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

These are more little things:

Dh hung a pot rack I bought. I had him hang over the counter next to the sink, not over the stove. This way, it isn't covered in micro-fine oil mist, aka dust super glue. And I can hang wet pots and they drip onto my dish drying rack.

He put a bookshelf on top of the bank of windows in the kitchen. I keep my cookbooks and ferments up there. I'm tall so high shelves are fine for me.

A new kitchen faucet!! I hated the old one but was waiting until we redid everything. But the old one was leaking terribly and dh couldn't tighten it anymore. Right before Christmas it was leaking terribly so we picked out a new one. . We got this one, it's modern/industrial and I love it.

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Sous-pul...83/1165183.htm
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
MegMarch (01-19-2017), Quiteria (01-21-2017), RooMama (01-31-2017), Sweet Life (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
These are more little things:

Dh hung a pot rack I bought. I had him hang over the counter next to the sink, not over the stove. This way, it isn't covered in micro-fine oil mist, aka dust super glue. And I can hang wet pots and they drip onto my dish drying rack.
I would love to see your pot rack if you are willing to share! I Love the idea of one since my pots don't have an ideal storage system that I'm purely content with right now, but I also have some hesitations.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #15
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

I love the kitchen faucet!
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
GlacierLily (01-31-2017)