Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Baking for child with diabetes?

As in tradition in our school, I am planning to bake a treat (typically people do cookies or cupcakes or something) for my son to bring to school on his birthday to share with his classmates. I asked the teacher about food allergies and there is one child with diabetes and 1 gluten allergy (my child).

My plan was to make traditional gluten cookies for the class then make a gluten free variety.

I admit total ignorance when it comes to knowing what sort of baking a child with diabetes can or cannot have. No/low sugar right? I don't have (and detest) artificial sweeteners. I am a minimal sugar baker anyway and often use other sweeteners (bananas, maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, etc) but realize I'm not even sure what I can and cannot use for this child?

I know that the final decision will lie with the parent. My goal is to simply do the best I can, send in the treat and the information and let the child/parent make the right decision for their child. But I would like to be as considerate and accommodating as I can be.

Help?

Last edited by 2sunshines; 01-25-2017 at 10:17 AM.
2sunshines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:43 AM   #2
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baking for child with diabetes?

Unless you already have a 'mixed' kitchen, I would only make GF cookies for the majority. (I would not introduce flour into my kitchen because it goes everywhere.)
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Yea the gluten/gluten free thing doesn't bother me at all. We are already a mixed household and I have effectively mastered the skill (to my own comfort level for my kids) of avoiding cross contamination. Plus the gf is my kid so I'm not worried about possibly exposing another child.

And truthfully I don't really want to use my very expensive gf ingredients for the entire class when I can use up some of my remaining very inexpensive gluten ingredients.

Where I am left clueless tho is the child with diabetes part.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Ds2's class has a girl with diabetes in it. When I send in birthday treats, I don't even think about her but I do the multiple food allergies. I've never asked her mom about how they handle treats like that. Frankly I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you know who the kid is ask the parents or ask the teacher how it is generally handled. I keep a box of snacks at school for gf kid for when non-gf snacks are brought in.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipennsn View Post
Ds2's class has a girl with diabetes in it. When I send in birthday treats, I don't even think about her but I do the multiple food allergies. I've never asked her mom about how they handle treats like that. Frankly I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you know who the kid is ask the parents or ask the teacher how it is generally handled. I keep a box of snacks at school for gf kid for when non-gf snacks are brought in.
Yep, that's what I do too for my child. And I definitely don't expect anyone to make accommodations for him. But one time, a birthday child brought in a special gluten free cupcake just for him and I was SO touched by it, the fact that someone actually went way out of their way for my kid, that I want to accommodate any other needs as much as possible.

That said, I did ask my son if, when birthday treats are brought in, any other classmates don't eat them and he said he's the only one... So maybe the child with diabetes still eats the traditional treats? Or since my son is 7 it's also very possible that he is oblivious to other things going on around him.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I am not 100% up on the diabetic requirements, but if there is no nut allergy or coconut allergy, I would probably do coconut flour/almond flour and possibly a little coconut sugar. (it is supposed to be low glycemic.) Possibly a Paleo cookie recipe?
2sunshines (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

The mom of the kid with the most food allergies in ds2's class is also a Type 1 diabetic (and my sister's sil), if I see her at school pick-up I can ask what would be best.
My GIRL H who is 7!

2sunshines (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My aunt with Type 1 diabetes ate whatever she wanted. Just adjusted her insulin
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post

My MIL is type 2, and this is what she would do. She ate things she should avoid and she would shrug and say, I will adjust. Sadly now she has complications from not complying.
2sunshines (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
2sunshines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
My MIL is type 2, and this is what she would do. She ate things she should avoid and she would shrug and say, I will adjust. Sadly now she has complications from not complying.

That is sort of what I am wondering if this child does since my ds is not aware that anyone else doesn't participate in the sent in birthday treats.

Maybe I'll just email the teacher and ask.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
mipennsn
Rose Garden

I talked to ds2's diabetic classmate's dad. As long as the carb count can figured, any treat is ok.
My GIRL H who is 7!

2sunshines (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And that's an ok thing. It's what people are taught TO do.

Coconut sugar has the same carb counts, with lower glycemic index, but not a huge difference.

As a mom to a type 1 kid:
First, THANK YOU for considering their needs

Make what you want to make. DON'T add anything extra, BUT the kindest, easiest thing to do is the MATH.

Add up the carb counts for all the ingredients, divide by servings, and that will give you the carb count. All sugars (banana, maple syrup, sugars) will have carbs, and all affect blood sugar.
For example: white flour, 1 cup is 92 carbs (I'm at work, and trying to remember wihtout checking actual numbers), so 2 cups = 184
1 cup sugar - 190 carbs
and so on with all ingredients.
Let's say your total is 450 carbs, and there are 24 servings, each serving is 18.75 carbs. A note on the top of the container with a carb count is awesome, and I LOVE when we know the carbs. Makes my daughter's life much easier.

That said, some families don't let their child with t1 have any extra food at school - that depends on family style, type of insulin delivery the child receives, and any other potential issues.

Last edited by mamaKristin; 01-25-2017 at 03:07 PM.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-26-2017), bananacake (01-26-2017), ECingMama (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
Well, she died of a diabetic complication with tens of thousands of dollars of medical debt from previous diabetic complications. She spent 20% of her income on medical bills every year. It really was NOT a good choice for her.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #14
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipennsn View Post
I talked to ds2's diabetic classmate's dad. As long as the carb count can figured, any treat is ok.
This is what I was going to say- just send a note with how many grams of carbs (or ingredients and amounts so they can calculate).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #15
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

loving my family since 1991

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between type 1 and type 2 is type 1 doesn't make insulin. Their cells are normal otherwise, so as long as they know how many carbs are in a treat, they simply take insulin.
Type 2, they make insulin, but their bodies use it so poorly they can't make enough anymore and their pancreas starts to burn out. In that case their body is flooded with insulin, which adds to the complications.
I see type 1 diabetics eating carbs all the time, even sugar. It's type 2 that need to eat grain, starch and sugar free.

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

Homeschooling, sometimes co sleeping mommy to a teenager and sweet little one
Leslie_JJKs_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leslie_JJKs_mom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-26-2017), Maedchen (01-25-2017)