Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Question The Writer's Jungle. Worth it?

I have the opportunity to purchase "The Writer's Jungle" for a good price from a friend. Do you think it's a useful book to have?
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Writer's Jungle. Worth it?

I think it really depends on what you're looking for.

It really is all about her philosophy, and less about specific lesson plans. If you need a Big Picture Map, the Writer's Jungle will give that to you. You get a road map of how writing develops, what to look for, and how to coach kids through each stage. She describes each writing stage and gives you an activity to do with your kids to help them develop in that particular stage, but you have to choose the day to day assignments. I found it wonderfully inspirational.

It's not so much a Writing Program that teaches specific forms (like the 5 paragraph essay) as how to get your kids to write and to become persuasive and compelling writers in their own unique voice all across the board - History, Literature analysis, Creative Writing, etc. (If you have an unschooling mindset, it's even more appealing.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!

Last edited by ViolaMum; 02-05-2017 at 01:01 PM.
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-05-2017), Soliloquy (02-05-2017), tempus vernum (05-24-2017), TraceMama (02-06-2017), Vicki_T (02-18-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Hmm. I noticed it's really, really expensive to buy it new. I wonder why if it's just her philosophy of writing?
Old 02-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

It's huge.

Bravewriter has online classes and the first two classes are each one chapter of the book.

There ARE exercises. She takes the time to explain each one with all the Whys and Wherefores and you can modify each one to fit your kids. We've done some of them more than once. The Keen Observation exercise I did a couple of times with my oldest and am planning to do it again this week. It's a model for getting her to really think through a subject before she writes. If you need a day to day This is What to Write lesson plan book, that's what the other programs (like Partnership Writing) are all about.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (02-05-2017), Soliloquy (02-05-2017), TraceMama (02-17-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Thank you, that is helpful. I don't want a day to day plan, at least not now.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I did buy it from her and have started to read it. I'm really glad I bought it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-21-2018), Quiteria (02-20-2017), TraceMama (02-17-2017), Vicki_T (02-18-2017), ViolaMum (02-17-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Writer's Jungle. Worth it?

I think if you get a good price it's worth it, but a lot of the content can be gotten for free on her blog and it's more philosophical than practical. My preferred products from Brave Writer are the age specific ones: Jot It Down, Partnership Writing, the Wand, the Arrow etc.

Oh sorry just saw your update glad you are enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-21-2018), Soliloquy (02-19-2017), tempus vernum (02-19-2017), TraceMama (02-19-2017), Vicki_T (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Yes, if someone has the time and a good laptop or tablet they probably don't need this. I only have my phone and if I had to piece it together from her blog it would never happen. I got it for $30. I don't know if I'd pay $90 for it but maybe after I implement it I'll think it's worth $90.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (02-19-2017), ECingMama (01-21-2018), Quiteria (02-20-2017), TraceMama (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well done IMO It's well worth $30 especially considering you aren't able to fully access her blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to hear more abt this. Extremely intrigued

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

There are other threads on Brave Writer. I remember skimming them but not being in a place where we needed it.

www.bravewriter.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
ctab
Rose Bouquet

ctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to behold

Soliloquy,

Did you end up liking this book? Have you used any of her other products? I am looking at them for next school year.
baby #4 due June 2015
ctab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Yes, I have The Writer's Jungle. I started reading it but I put it down and haven't finished it. This is a good reminder to pick it up again.