Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 02-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
wildswede
Rose Blossom

wildswede will become famous soon enoughwildswede will become famous soon enough
Default Spitting... and how to keep my mouth shut?!

It was a hard day today, I had to go find the bus my son now rides and get him off because they couldn't go anywhere due to his behavior (out of his seat, kicking the doors, screaming, setting off alarms, etc). I got him in the car and he proceeded to spit on me from the back seat for about ten miles before I lost it and told him to pick a house he liked and I'd drop him off... I feel awful, I've jokingly agreed to find him a new home when he went through an "I hate you, I don't want you to be my mom anymore" phase--- and he freaked out, I learned not to even joke with him, especially when he's escalated, I should have already known better of course, it wasn't okay. And, it wasn't okay today. How do you get yourself to just shut up if you've got nothing nice to say at that moment? I was tempted to pull over and step out of the car for a few minutes, but on the back roads we were on there wasn't really a safe place to do that. I apologized to him for what I said and asked his forgiveness, but is that even enough? How can keep it from happening again? I thought I was doing good to not have started yelling like a maniac--- which is what I want to do when I'm being spit on.
wildswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spitting... and how to keep my mouth shut?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildswede View Post
.... How can keep it from happening again? I thought I was doing good to not have started yelling like a maniac--- which is what I want to do when I'm being spit on.
Have his doctor's suggested anything that might help. It sounds like this child is miserable and trapped. My suggestion is to get professional help to deal with his issues. This is NOT a discipline issue, it's a needs issue.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-12-2016), bananacake (02-09-2016), bliss (02-09-2016), twoplustwo (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
wildswede
Rose Blossom

wildswede will become famous soon enoughwildswede will become famous soon enough

He has a follow up from his November evaluations in March... his regular pediatrician had surgery and that was soonest he could get in for a follow up. I've been looking for a counselor--- with no luck. Left messages with a local naturopathic physician--- no response. He has had three separate referrals to neurotherapeutics AND I've called and left messages--- no response. We've done applied kinesiology which is helpful but he gets so frustrated and disappointed if something negative happens he then refuses to keep doing it. Had some success with essential oils--- same thing, he had three incredible days, then a set back and refused to use them anymore. I've been giving him l-theanine and seen some positive changes. He's had a pretty positive transition to a self-contained classroom and last week was wonderful, even though he had a few challenges he was able to focus on the positive parts of the day and was getting off the bus happy. The afternoon bus was a bit of a challenge, he was getting out of his seat, I put new fidgets in his backpack, a high interest book, and the driver has some fun books as well and Friday he rocked it. Today, however, there was a sub bus driver. His teacher said he had a great day at school though.
The Following User Says they are praying for wildswede:
Quiteria (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
Bea423
Deactivated

Bea423 will become famous soon enoughBea423 will become famous soon enough

I deleted my comment because it is clear I cannot accurately explain or express the heart of what I was trying to share. I hope OP is blessed in her search for solutions.

Last edited by Bea423; 02-12-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Bea423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely sounds much deeper than a discipline issue and I'm glad you're working on addressing that.

That being said, I will not drive a car with children who are misbehaving. My first choice is to make them get out, but if he would run away or run into traffic then you can get out and tell him you'll get back in and start driving when he will behave. If you drive this route often and there isn't a place to pull over, maybe you can look on the map to find places where you could make a turn onto a different road and pull over somewhere. Or if there is a different route that does have places to pull over, take that one. If you can pull over but can't get out, I would just pull over and sit there and tell him you won't drive until he stops. As long as he has nothing to do in the car (no electronics, books, or toys) I would think that would help, too, even though it wouldn't give you the quiet time.

And please don't be too hard on yourself. I have said something similar to a kid once. I think I would go completely out of my skin if my child spit on me for several miles.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (02-09-2016), everybody's mother (02-11-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to what you said: Everyone screws up. You apologized and asked for forgiveness. Sometimes that's the best a person can do. Don't feel guilty.

In regards to your son, perhaps it will be encouraging to know that my first born went through a stage just like that when he was four. I remember pulling over on the highway because he crawled out of his car seat and was physically assaulting me. I was at my whits end. His dad was in jail and I was really struggling as a single mom so that probably contributed but at the same time, I think I was a really good mom and it wasn't that bad so I don't think we can completely blame it on environment- I think it was partly just a stage. Anyway, he turned out to be THE BEST kid ever. I swear, after that stage it's been smooth sailing. He's 18 now and everyone I've ever met says, "Brandon? What a great kid" He was one of the top wrestlers in the state and whenever I talk to someone they say how much they like and admire him. He has nice friends. No drugs or alcohol. He's nice to his little brothers and sister. I am so proud to be able to say, "that's my son!" Your son is not doomed to a life of trouble.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea423 View Post
.....A woman at our fellowship was told by her Dr that her thyroid was so bad they weren't sure how much longer she had if she didn't take certain medication. She addressed the issues spiritually and was completely healed, her doctors were shocked. .....
As a mother whose son has a serious thyroid issue, I am VERY concerned that using medication would be presented in a way that suggests medical help is secondary and avoiding spiritual issues. We live in a fallen world and illness and physical imperfections are part of that world and need to be addressed. If I had addressed my son's issues as discipline or spiritual issues rather than the fact that his immune system was waging war on his little body and causing physical reactions to such things as adrenal imbalance, etc, he not only would probably have died, but if he didn't, he would have taken on a level of guilt for not being able to change, placing a spiritual millstone around his small neck.

I absolutely believe that spiritual and emotional issues must be part of the equation because we are spiritual being AND because they do affect our physical well being. That being said, once you pass a certain point, you simply can't ignore the need to address physical issues because by doing so, most people, but small children especially, simply can't spare the mental energy to process anything outside of survival. From reading many other threads by this poster, I absolutely believe her son is surviving and without some outside help, he will continue in that mode until something changes.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-12-2016), bananacake (02-09-2016), cbmk4 (02-21-2016), graciousmomma (02-09-2016), MaybeGracie (02-09-2016), Quiteria (02-09-2016), ReedleBeetle (02-21-2016), TraceMama (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with other posters. That aggressive spitting behavior would have me pull over and stand outside the car while the storm rages inside it. Child would be handed a paper towel and told to clean himself up after it was over. Unless we were headed to something that couldn't be rescheduled, the event would be cancelled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

. I believe it's really important not to let your anger get that far. Long, long before you are so angry you are saying things you do not mean is the time to act. (Getting spit on for ten minutes could make any of us livid.)

At the very first unacceptable thing, such as spitting, you need intervene. ArmsOfLove explained in a thread years ago that when we lose our temper, it's usually because we've ignored our boundaries being crossed. When we address the first little step over the line we are much more able to be calm and rational. By the time we've let lots of little things happen, we feel so violated that we're angry and irrational.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-12-2016), CelticJourney (02-09-2016), graciousmomma (02-09-2016), MaybeGracie (02-09-2016), Quiteria (02-09-2016), ReedleBeetle (02-21-2016), sweetpeasmommy (02-09-2016), The Tickle Momster (02-21-2016), TraceMama (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute

To Bea:

Wildswede:

Wow, I'm so sorry you had such a rough morning. I would say I agree with others about pulling over if you cannot safely drive. I'm concerned for you the current situation means that if he's having a bad morning, you need to drive him to school, which is quite a distance iirc. Have you spoken with his team at the new school about safe traveling for him? Having you drop everything to come and get him is just not an acceptable long term solution.

In terms of dealing with the moment: I know how hard it is, in the middle of crisis, to manage those overwhelming feelings of frustration and weariness that has you come out with the worst possible thing-and then beating yourself up over it. I've learned to find ways to distance myself emotionally from the situation by taking deep breaths and intentionally shutting the behavior out for a moment. I also concentrate hard on remembering holding this angry out of control child in my arms as a baby and the love I felt and my determination to be the best mom I could be for him. If I can respond from a place of, "This is the mom he needs me to be," rather than from my own feelings and perspectives things go a lot better. It takes tremendous mental effort, but usually the situation calms much quicker when I do it that way.
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ShiriChayim For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-12-2016), bananacake (02-09-2016), graciousmomma (02-09-2016), Quiteria (02-09-2016), ReedleBeetle (02-21-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiriChayim View Post

Wildswede:

Wow, I'm so sorry you had such a rough morning. I would say I agree with others about pulling over if you cannot safely drive. I'm concerned for you the current situation means that if he's having a bad morning, you need to drive him to school, which is quite a distance iirc. Have you spoken with his team at the new school about safe traveling for him? Having you drop everything to come and get him is just not an acceptable long term solution.
This is interesting thinking here- I believe they are required to provide transportation, are they not? So they will have to find something that works with his particular issues. Maybe if he's getting up and things they will have to find a way to restrain him.

You didn't mention his age- how old is he?

One thing that helps my patience is looking at baby pictures of my kids. Would it help to tape a cute little newborn or other baby picture of him, or a few, on the dash or something? You could glance down at it/them and breathe. Might be worth a try just for your calm.

Does he have any food allergies? That could totally be gluten, dairy, or especially a food dye sensitivity.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-12-2016), bananacake (02-09-2016), deena (02-10-2016), everybody's mother (02-11-2016), Johns_Gal (02-09-2016), ReedleBeetle (02-21-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a way for them to let you know ahead if there is to be a change like a substitute driver?Sounds like that may have been the trigger? could he verbalize what upset him about the bus ride ? sounds like all was very well until that part If it was a sub may not have been someone who is familiar at all with SN kids or even just seeing that unfamiliar face may have thrown him off. Agree that he probably needed a cooling down and comforting time before the car ride. I think just letting him know that you know you he was having a hard time and you said something you didnt mean when YOU were having a hard time h eart Also have to wonder if he thought he was on the wrong bus and was just trying to get back off.Might be helpful to tell him the bus number and to let him know that if there is a different driver he can ask if it is bus 123 or something

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C

Last edited by mamacat; 02-09-2016 at 02:08 PM.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-11-2016), Quiteria (02-09-2016), ReedleBeetle (02-21-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #13
wildswede
Rose Blossom

He is six, yes, the district provides transportation. In the mornings he's on a regular size bus with just one other kiddo who goes to the same school, they let off kids at the school I work at and he gets on with the other child. The morning driver reports no issues whatsoever. He had trouble in the afternoon the first week, after getting some direct instruction on what it looks like to ride the bus and the driver showing him the books she has for them to look at he did great. Yesterday, however, there was a substitute driver... today he did great again with the regular driver.
And, you are very right, my losing my temper generally means I've been trying to figure out how to react and waited too long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildswede For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-12-2016), ReedleBeetle (02-21-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Yep had a feeling the thing was triggered by that different driver.So can maybe work on things to give him tools for when that happens and sk him about what upsets him about having a different driver?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-11-2016), knitlove (02-10-2016), Quiteria (02-09-2016), ReedleBeetle (02-21-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
Bea423
Deactivated

Bea423 will become famous soon enoughBea423 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
As a mother whose son has a serious thyroid issue, I am VERY concerned that using medication would be presented in a way that suggests medical help is secondary and avoiding spiritual issues. We live in a fallen world and illness and physical imperfections are part of that world and need to be addressed. If I had addressed my son's issues as discipline or spiritual issues rather than the fact that his immune system was waging war on his little body and causing physical reactions to such things as adrenal imbalance, etc, he not only would probably have died, but if he didn't, he would have taken on a level of guilt for not being able to change, placing a spiritual millstone around his small neck.

I absolutely believe that spiritual and emotional issues must be part of the equation because we are spiritual being AND because they do affect our physical well being. That being said, once you pass a certain point, you simply can't ignore the need to address physical issues because by doing so, most people, but small children especially, simply can't spare the mental energy to process anything outside of survival. From reading many other threads by this poster, I absolutely believe her son is surviving and without some outside help, he will continue in that mode until something changes.
I agree with you. It is not my suggestion at all that someone would reject sound wisdom and council when dealing with serious illness. but that they also seek out possibility of something that can help spiritually.

Deleted the rest of my comment.

Last edited by Bea423; 02-12-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Bea423 is offline   Reply With Quote