Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canning newbie, help me buy my equipment

I have a glass top electric cooktop. (I miss my gas stove from 3 houses ago.)

I plan to can lots of thimble berry jam this year. Next year I hope to do tomatoes, too.

I was looking at the canners at the store and they come in a couple of sizes. Does the canner have to fit the element on my cooktop? I have the most annoying cooktop. It has 5 elements but only one of them is large and it isn't as large as an average stove.

Anything else I need?

Which kind of pectin do you buy for jam and why?

Last edited by Soliloquy; 05-19-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canning newbie, help me buy my equipment

I don't know anything about the glass cook tops. With gas, I know the size doesn't have to match. With what you are canning, you can water bath, so you can buy a MUCH cheaper canner.

Tomatoes are easier to can than jam. Neither are "hard" though.

I have used gelatin instead of pectin when making jam and I have used the Ball pectin. Just because it was there, easy to find.

I would just go ahead and get the ball canning kit that has the jar tongs, the air thingy, the magnetic lid whatchmadoodaddy, and the jar funnel. All helpful.

Jars, lids, rings and you are good to go!

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (06-23-2014), Soliloquy (05-19-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

If the recipe needs pectin, we always use the Pomona's Pectin, and it works great.

I second the suggestion for the basic Ball Canning Kit. It has everything you need to get started, and is so easy.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I've only used a pressure canner for tomatoes. I know that books recommend canning jams and jellies, but I just pour the hot mixture into sterilized and hot jars. If you are starting with jam, you might not need a canner. I prefer a long-boil method that doesn't use pectin or as much sugar. Underripe fruit naturally has pectin in it, so adding a bit to your ripe fruit usually works well. Using pectin is much quicker (almost too quick for me). Bernardin has a couple of good recipe books with more details about how to use pectin or long-boil methods to make jam.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I have a glass top stove also. From all that I have read, you can not can on the glass top. It will cause it to crack because it gets too hot.

Since I can't afford a new stove, I go to my daughter's house to run the canner. (I am really, really tempted to try and get a small one I can use in my basement to can or take out on the patio and can there. (I have seen the one on pintrest that is gas topped and runs off of a propane heater.

Also, if you have a fairly large family or lots of things to can, go ahead and purchase the larger canner that can hold 2 stacks of jars. It will cut down on how many runs you have to do on the stove.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (06-23-2014), ReedleBeetle (05-19-2014), Soliloquy (05-19-2014), Sparrow (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a helpful page I just found: http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm I like this website for other canning info.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (06-23-2014), mellifera (05-19-2014), ReedleBeetle (05-19-2014), Soliloquy (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
mellifera
Rose Trellis

mellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been brave enough to can jelly on my glass-top stove. If I were going to get into canning things that require more vigorous boiling, I would get a stand-alone electric burner.
mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mellifera For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i gave up on canning and just switched to freezing

freezer jams are super easy (and you can do raw jam) and for tomatoes i just take the stem and core out and throw them seeds, skin, and all into our nutri bullet thing and puree them whole and uncooked. then i can pull a bag out and use it for sauce, chilli, spag, soup whatever. i will freeze a few bags cut up and seeds removed for things like chili where you want chuncks, but mostly i just use purred.

the only thing you can't really freeze is salsa. at least i haven't found a good way to do it yet.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (05-27-2014), NayneeNoo (05-19-2014), Soliloquy (05-19-2014), squiddles (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a cheap propane burner because we have a glass top. I got it for less than $50. It can then come in handy for camping too!

My main concern is that my stove shuts itself off if it gets too hot. Honestly I'm more concerned about the temperature fluctuations and not maintaining a safe temperature than breaking my stove.

I think some people have put a grill thing under their canner. DH wasn't keen on doing that.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

The feed store sell stand-alone electric coil burners and they're not expensive, I think they're only $15. I have a friend who cans on her glass top, even with her pressure canner. It makes me nervous, though. We do NOT have the funds to replace this cooktop, even though I'd be thrilled to replace it.

It is even more annoying because it is a super expensive Electrolux Icon. It is the worst thing I have ever cooked on, it burns things so easily. I've cooked on cheap apartment stoves, gas stoves, over a campfire . . . this thing is the worst.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a plae once with a $2000 stove in it. My kenmore $800 one we put I. This house is much better

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-20-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

So, I did some research. Electrolux cooktops are safe for canning and will get hot enough IF you use a flat-bottom canner. They cost $80 at Amazon and don't come with all the gizmos.

Or, I could use my gas grill or buy a stand-alone electric element.

The gas grill would keep the heat out of the house but be less convenient.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #13
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

That is just a water bath container good for fruits and jellies.

Did it say that you can use a pressure canner for canning on the Electrolux. They get extremely hot and you have to run them for an hour or more when canning.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

For now, I only plan to do jams and tomatoes. We don't like anything else canned. Eventually, I might want to can soup for preparedness but definitely not in the next two years. I have tons of freezer space so I freeze veggies and soups.

My biggest thing right now is the size of the element. I need to go measure it and check against that SS water bath canner.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 05-20-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #15
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

The Famous Belladonna Took

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

I have never canned on a glass cook-top, so I can provide no advice in that respect. I do jellies, preserves, pickles, and tomatoes all in a water bath canner. I have the Ball tools that come with the "beginner kit" and my grandmother's copy of the Ball Blue Book. I recommend both. I have other canning and preserve books, and I do them, but I still go back to the Ball Blue Book again and again.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jolie (dd) - age practically 20
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Sigh (ds) - age 15 or "thereabouts"
kklibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kklibrarian For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-20-2014)