Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Salads & Vegetable Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homemade Salad Bar

I used to do this but had forgotten all about it until I went to my sil's house last weekend and she did one. It was soooo yummy. So this week I have prepped all the salad stuff and have it at the ready for making salads all week (if it lasts that long ). I prep the green leaf lettuce and spin it dry and put it in a well-sealing Tupperware to keep in the fridge where it keeps for several days because it's dry and sealed. Then I chop and shred veggies and have them at the ready in containers in the fridge, too, along with other fixins like bacon bits, croutons, sunflower seeds, and the dressings, etc. I can't believe I had forgotten about this. Do any of you do something like this? What ingredients do you have at the ready?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (06-05-2014), kwisie (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

The only way we'll last forever is broken together

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homemade Salad Bar

Oooh yummy! You could also do some steak or grilled chicken to make it a full meal.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk
Mama to
A 20 months
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MercyInDisguise For This Useful Post:
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
joystrength
Rose Garden

Get it? Sock.Monkey. ????

joystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud of

All those proteins -- full meal already!! YAY!
If you are not nut-allergic, you can add glazed pecans or almonds (or raw, of course).
Pumpkin seeds
Avacado
Different cheeses
Dollops of hummus
Various crackers

His joy IS my strength! Live a life of HIS purpose

How long will it go on? If you keep living the way you are living, then you will keep living the way you are living. If you want your life to change, then CHANGE your life. Live differently, for repentance is a way of life. -- DH!

joystrength is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joystrength For This Useful Post:
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

We used to love a dalad with blue cheese crumbles and shaved almonds,grape or cherry tomatos are yummy.Can also change it up and use ubusual veies like grated beets or zuchinni

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea now that CSA season is starting!
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness, I love beets on salad. Thanks for the reminder. And I have pumpkin seeds and nuts in my freezer to try so that would be awesome, too. Protein would be great to make it a meal. I'll have to think on that for another week of salad bar options because both of my kids love steak and chicken. I had never thought of hummus on salad but I think it would be soooo yummy. Thanks for the idea.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 06-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

The only way we'll last forever is broken together

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joystrength View Post
All those proteins -- full meal already!!
True! I've been craving chicken caesar salad so I have meat on the brain.
Mama to
A 20 months
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I have to do this. Otherwise DD is like No lunch for you, mother. I have salad for lunch everyday because it is so easy, and send one for dh most days too.

I just throw bits of broccoli, sliced strawberries, peppers, cucumber, squash, etc into their own plastic bags. I buy huge tubs of greens from Costco since my lettuce bed can't keep up with demand. Every few days I boil some eggs or grill extra chicken so there's at least one those lurking in there, and I split an avocado with ds.

I think I forgot about croutons. I bought some last night for the first time in ages.
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

You could also have hard boiled eggs; thawed out from frozen peas, corn, and edamame; marinated artichoke hearts; olives; pickled okra (I love that); feta cheese; cherry tomatoes (keep on the counter - not in the fridge - I keep mine in a pretty bowl);and sugar snap peas - rinsed in a container in the fridge.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

FYI, if you put a paper towel on top of your greens inside the plastic container, they last longer

Someone mentioned zucchini...we love zucchini on salad. Nice satisfying texture.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
charla
Administrator

I'm furiously taking notes. Artichoke hearts, olives, feta cheese, zucchini, peppers, broccoli, frozen peas - wow my salad could be so big I wouldn't be able to eat it. But I love all of that stuff. I can see having different options available each week so we don't get bored with the same things.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
schmamy (06-06-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

We just did this for lunch today:

Lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, chick peas, black olives, parmesan cheese, lime juice (as a dressing), ranch dressing, canned beets (would do fresh if they weren't so frustratingly expensive!) . . . I think that was today's if I ever planned ahead enough I'd either have chopped hard boiled eggs, or egg salad to use as dressing.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
charla
Administrator

I'm with you on the canned beets, LaRee. I'm adding chickpeas to my list.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 06-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a vegetable or fruit, you can make a salad out of it. Worst case you just eat around the ill advised chunks of jicama.
charla (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote