Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #136
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice
Default Re: Talk to me about coconut oil

Yeah that makes sense.

I guess I worry about it potentially leading to yeast or other infections, but if it's anti-fungal or whatever, maybe that's a silly thing to worry about.

Really, I'm just a paranoid person. Don't mind me.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #137
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysmh
Yeah that makes sense.

I guess I worry about it potentially leading to yeast or other infections, but if it's anti-fungal or whatever, maybe that's a silly thing to worry about.

Really, I'm just a paranoid person. Don't mind me.
actually, the reason i started taking coconut oil was because of the yeast issues i'm having. i use it 'down there' after i get out of the tub, even.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #138
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

me too.. love it.

Here is a funny...we were at a "store" looking at lubes and dh mentioned that we used coconut oil and the clerk about died. she really thought it was going to clog me up.. like the $20 6oz container they were selling was really going to be better for me...they apparently tell sales people that it is bad for people so they push their product.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #139
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

She said it would clog you up?

Certain family members have always told me we should try butter. But I just couldn't. I mean, it's like, milk. From a cow. It just doesn't belong there.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
These three are my world

Old 01-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #140
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

lol, yea, cow udder, not so sexy.

Coconut has always been exotic and sexy though.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #141
krysmh
Climbing Rose

Ok, ok, you've all convinced me.

Don't expect a report on how it goes though.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
These three are my world

Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #142
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I've been wanting to start using it, but I eat raw - so...what do I add it to? I seriously don't do any cooking. ANd I have two jars - one is spectrum and one is...Jarrow Are either of those OK? How do I know what's good & what's not? (whichever one is better will stay in the kitchen, I'll take the other one upstairs for bathroom/bedroom use.

Do you think it would help w/DS's eczema?

Also, does it go bad?W e've had it for quite some time since I haven't known how to use it. And i hate chuncky smoothies. But I like pina colada smoothies, ould it be coconutty enugh to ue for that?

*gasp* just read the label...
125 calries per serving
125 calories from fat
*trying to breathe...* whew, this is going to take some getting used to. Imean, I know some fat is good but...wow, that's a little much.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #143
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison In TX
yea, that might be it. 68degrees will have me with chattering teeth.
When I get that cold, starting with the thermostat dipping below 70, my hands, feet, nipples and oddly, my knees ache. And I get really really cranky. I can't warm back up, either. Sometimes that can trigger a whale of a migraine. The only cure is full body lobster bath immersion, and my husband's hands on my shoulders and neck.

We had to stop using coconut oil for lube. I'd be swollen and raw in the morning. I suspect an allergy, as eating coconut used to be an asthma trigger for me. I never have more than a mild allergy reaction to foods, but the list of foods I react poorly to is getting depressingly long.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #144
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

First it is good fat. (look up eat fat lose fat)

second...yes it will help with eczema... a lot.

third it doesn't go bad (unlike olive oil)

fourth Jarrow and Spectrum are both good brands..just not my favorite.. taste a little on a spoon to see which you like the flavor of better. which ever one you like keep in the kitchen...LOL

as for incorporating it... you can melt it and dip veggies in it..or eating it by the spoon full..
I have had some success melting it than adding it to shakes..
do you eat popcorn? (guess that is kind of cooked huh? ) It is great on popcorn.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #145
krysmh
Climbing Rose

I seem to remember seeing a recipe on here recently that was raw and had coconut oil and cocoa powder (??) and maybe something else, made into some kind of raw candy like thing. It sounded good and I meant to write it down, but forgot.

Ring a bell, anyone?

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
These three are my world

Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #146
purstrength
Rose Garden

purstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
We had to stop using coconut oil for lube. I'd be swollen and raw in the morning. I suspect an allergy, as eating coconut used to be an asthma trigger for me. I never have more than a mild allergy reaction to foods, but the list of foods I react poorly to is getting depressingly long.
I'm glad you said that...I want to watch out for that, although I that I'll be okay. I've used just a *tiny* bit in cooking so far, put some in my hair earlier, and have used it on a fever blister. I'll report back.

Remembering Mary
purstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #147
Blue Aurora
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I bought some today and used it and butter to saute some fish. I could smell coconut when I opened the jar but we didn't taste any. The only brand available was spectrum.

True obedience is a matter of love, which makes it voluntary, not compelled by fear or force. ~Dorothy Day

Blue Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:01 AM   #148
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I seem to remember seeing a recipe on here recently that was raw and had coconut oil and cocoa powder (??) and maybe something else, made into some kind of raw candy like thing. It sounded good and I meant to write it down, but forgot.

Ring a bell, anyone?
that would be me. http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...topic=132555.0

kawani, it's really so good for you. try not to look at the fat content... in fact, i know people who take it *for* weight loss, and even though i'm preggy, i saw the hugest difference when i was consistent with both the anti-candida way of eating and the coconut oil... it's hard to explain. good fat like that, IME, makes me crave junkie stuff a LOT less.

Quote:
Ok, ok, you've all convinced me.

Don't expect a report on how it goes though.
oh, we expect a FULL report!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #149
morninglory

buttering you bread, making sweets, anit-fungal, softens your skin, good for sex......quite possibly the worlds perfect food...yes?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #150
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

well, so far iv'e been too scared to taste it straight from the jar (though I LOVE coconut) but after showering, I put it on me & DS#1 (who has really bad eczema) OMGoodness hours later we are still all soft!!! His cheeks are actually soft and pink, not itchy, red and dry. After using it ONCE! Hello CO, Goodbye nasty pertroleum-based lotions! Now...I'm sure DH won't mind trying it...
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote