Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #61
Starfish
Rose Bouquet

Starfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant future
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

For any of these diet changes, is there value in slowly incorporating it into your lifestyle? or do you need to commit 100% and detox to notice a health/energy difference?

I'm asking because some people say one indulgence of junk food will have a big, immediate effect, so it sounds like if you leave some junk in your diet and just add the good stuff, it won't help.

INFP~Type 2~Middle Child~Shoe size 8.5
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #62
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

I have IBS and I've noticed a big difference by just cutting out refined sugar and using properly prepared grains.

Our diet is not even in the 80-95% perfect range yet. We're probably edging close to 70% if I don't count that we still eat mostly conventional fruits and veggies instead of organic because of a lack of availability and a lack of funds.

We're definitely seeing a difference despite an imperfect diet so far.

I noticed that my sugar cravings disappear with the more saturated fat I eat. If I inadvertently have a "low-fat day" I'll crave sugar pretty badly.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allison For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (05-02-2012), marigold (09-16-2012), Soliloquy (05-02-2012), sweetpeasmommy (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #63
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
I just ordered the Primal Blueprint book. I did this mainly because cutting out Gluten worked for a while, but I'm having issues again, and I saw a newscast that stated that often times cutting out all grain can help. So I'm going to see if that helps. Wish me luck. I have a 15 yr. old who fights me on every dietary change made in this house. The littles don't care, he throws a fit and will take his own money to stock up the pantry with the foods he wants. Then gets onto the kids if they eat any of it.
When my dc are 16+ I plan on allowing them to choose to eat how they want BUT will require that food be stored SAFELY in their room and not in the kitchen. They will not be allowed to share with younger siblings and they will not be allowed to eat the food in front of the family. They will be allowed to go get fast food if it's not eaten under my roof. If a 15yo could afford these kinds of foods, I would consider making the same rules. Before being allowed food in their bedroom, they must put in a dorm room or beverage (purchased by teenager).

JMO - I also allow my older daughter (almost 12) to "cheat" more often than her siblings. She's old enough to choose to feel well or poorly IMO. The others don't have the maturity to understand. She has gone to parties and cheated, she's gone to parties and not cheated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
For any of these diet changes, is there value in slowly incorporating it into your lifestyle? or do you need to commit 100% and detox to notice a health/energy difference?

I'm asking because some people say one indulgence of junk food will have a big, immediate effect, so it sounds like if you leave some junk in your diet and just add the good stuff, it won't help.
We haven't had a problem with some indulgence We don't indulge often but I do allow some "junk" on occasion. We are currently operating on the "once in a while" rule. We celebrated recently with real custard when my ds was 7 years post cancer diagnosis (April 17th) No one had a reaction at all.

We also have potato chips and tortilla chips on occasion and I am the only one that reacts (only to potato chips - potatoes and I are NOT friends I don't know why I keep trying them ).

That said, I have heard others get violently ill and I am not sure why we have proven to be different

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-02-2012), Soliloquy (05-02-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #64
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
Good to know! Thanks!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #65
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I also really appreciated your blog post on the differences, Allison. I think I'm more of a Traditional Foodie as well. It seems to resonate the most with me.

I also had the question regarding - is it all or nothing?

We're definitely sugar and gluten free now, but I was wondering if I have to look for soy sauce without gluten, etc....we don't have any "problems" - nobody on the spectrum, no gut issues (although my DH farts a lot )...I have chronic headaches and that's why I wanted to get off of sugar and gluten.

I think we'll do only fermented grains/homemade gluten-free sourdough bread. But I was feeling like maybe we should give up grains for good. Cause it seems like so many of you ladies are...
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #66
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying it for awhile to see how I feel. I honestly don't think I'll give up all grains for all eternity, , but I want to lean in that direction mostly. I'm really interested to see if ds2's behavior improves, as well as the dark circles under his eyes and skin stuff.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
The Following User Says Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
Stiina (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #67
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
Can someone tell me why packaged applesauce costs so much less than the apples it takes to make it? Its ridiculous!
They use the (far cheaper) apples that are too ugly to sell as whole fruit in the store and they buy in bulk. We bought the ugly apples directly from an orchard, by the case, and used them for canning last year. It was way cheaper than trying to can from the stuff at the store.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
Amy (05-02-2012), crunchymum (05-01-2012), Dovenoir (05-02-2012), knitlove (05-09-2012), Soliloquy (05-02-2012), Stiina (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #68
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

What Amanda said about apples - I get "windfall apples" SUPER cheap

Stiina, I am not sure if you can get San J but San J soy sauce has gluten and sugar free tamari We used it for years before going fully soy free (not sure if all of it is gluten free or just the brand we got). Now we use coconut aminos

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (05-02-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-02-2012), Stiina (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #69
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

soy sauce was a general example; we actually use it very rarely so it wouldn't be hard to give up (except the waste of throwing away the jar in the fridge). what is coconut amino?

Sooo...what's everyone doing with their big vats of flour/sugar/pasta? Of course I just bought a10kg bag of flour 2 weeks ago and I had 5 boxes of wholewheat lasagne noodles and 30 nature valley granola bars....I don't really want to give it away cause if I don't think it's good for you, then why would I give it to someone else?

I guess everyone needs to feel convicted at their own time...thoughts?
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #70
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiina View Post
soy sauce was a general example; we actually use it very rarely so it wouldn't be hard to give up (except the waste of throwing away the jar in the fridge). what is coconut amino?

Sooo...what's everyone doing with their big vats of flour/sugar/pasta? Of course I just bought a10kg bag of flour 2 weeks ago and I had 5 boxes of wholewheat lasagne noodles and 30 nature valley granola bars....I don't really want to give it away cause if I don't think it's good for you, then why would I give it to someone else?

I guess everyone needs to feel convicted at their own time...thoughts?
I don't think we threw anything away - just used it with the intent to never buy it again. I actually remember the very last bag of flour I bought. I did however allow my 3 year old to have some of it for "educational" sensory activities. I was not a huge "stocker" though either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
Elora (05-04-2012), Stiina (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #71
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

when we changed our pantry to be GF, we gave everything NGF away. We had to make the changes immediately for my sister, and then my parents... then me.

Funny thing, we had 2 families in need. It wasn't that the pre-packaged foods we had or freezer items were "not healthy" - but that they were not healthy for us. So, we were able to bless 2 families with 3 months each of groceries while we went on the hunt for new stuff.

Some of the stuff since I've moved here though, have been simply used with the intent to not buy again. For myself, I don't think I'll go 100% grain free. I'll probably keep doing 1/2 GAPS 1/2 Primal/Paleo-ish.

We are HUGE stockers, because of the way I was raised and the fact that for natural disasters the Embassy asks us to have a 3-6 month supply of items. My mom did a whole Y2k prep. People laughed at us -- my dad lost his job and was out of work for a few years and all that food fed us. We didn't have many giving us gifts of love or even batting an eye at our need at our congregation at the time. Sometimes we'd get a surprise letter with cash or a money order in it - but not often. We paid bills on what we earned (Mom, us 3 kids on our jobs) and dad kept job hunting. You just never know.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Elora (05-04-2012), mommychem (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #72
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

After we move we plan to buy some 50 lb bags of millet, rice, navy beans, and maybe buckwheat to have for preparedness. Because we think it's going to hit the fan in a few years.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mommychem (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #73
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Unless we get windfall apples, it is FAR cheaper to buy applesauce around here. I love homemade applesauce but it's too expensive to make.

Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #74
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
After we move we plan to buy some 50 lb bags of millet, rice, navy beans, and maybe buckwheat to have for preparedness. Because we think it's going to hit the fan in a few years.

I think so too.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #75
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I think I'll see if my sister wants our grains.

Y'all, I think I'm way overeating on this. when do I start listening to my body say "enough! No another bite!" is this just normal as I work through the mindset of being "deprived" (even though so far I haven't felt that way)?

I will say, I feel like my head is a LOT clearer. I'm not to the point where I would say I have tons of energy or anything, but, I'm noticing I'm not as tired - which is a big deal because I'm ALWAYS tired. like, constant, all day, "I could fall asleep right now", dragging my body tired. So, that's great!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-04-2012), Stiina (05-02-2012), sweetpeasmommy (05-02-2012)