Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #46
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! I stink at decorating!

I am glad you are taking the time to get things done, you will enjoy it.

There is no reason that you will need to get rid of any of this items you mentioned when you move.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-31-2018), Singingmom (03-31-2018), TraceMama (04-02-2018), Virginia (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #47
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Do you plan to buy a single family home? Any reason not to consider looking now though the end of the year rather than waiting 2-3 years?

I want to live in young house love . Com neighborhood!

What kind of place seems appeals to you?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Virginia (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #48
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Well, we have been in our beautiful brand spanking new townhome for a year now...
And it’s still a hot mess. DH basically doesn’t want to spend money on new stuff if we are just going to move in 2-3 years. However, he said he will do it... he just isn’t excited about it, if that makes sense.

So, that’s why I haven’t been posting any pictures. Our house looks terrible and is sparsely undecorated.

So, I decided that I’m going to be attempting to declutter and organize and get the ball rolling over spring break!
1) new couch
2) ceiling fans
3) dresser for us
4) dresser for Katherine
5) downstairs storage

Those are my priorities.
Here’s to hoping I have some good pictures to post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A well-decorated townhome will sell better than a hodge podge one.

And, you LIVE THERE! You should like it! I wouldn't go crazy with the budget but I would work to make it something you love yet still appealing to the "average buyer." Nothing crazy, even if you love crazy, but still what you love.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

We love ceiling fans. I hate a/c and use it only when absolutely necessary. We use our ceiling fans a LOT. And, when a/c is on, a ceiling fan on low will reduce the electric bill. It moves the air and you feel cooler at a higher temp.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
PrincessAnika (04-10-2018), Reva (04-02-2018), squiddles (03-31-2018), TraceMama (04-02-2018), Virginia (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #49
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I am glad you are taking the time to get things done, you will enjoy it.

There is no reason that you will need to get rid of any of this items you mentioned when you move.

Thanks so much! It’s not that we would get rid of them— it’s that DH hates moving... he literally said today that the idea of buying furniture just to move it is annoying to him :facepalm lol

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Do you plan to buy a single family home? Any reason not to consider looking now though the end of the year rather than waiting 2-3 years?

I want to live in young house love . Com neighborhood!

What kind of place seems appeals to you?

Yes, we do plan to eventually

We just moved a year ago and he hates moving and doesn’t want to go through that process again until absolutely necessary... he wants to stay here as long as possible.

I want a yard for our daughter and a little more storage. Nothing crazy. And a garden.

I will have to check out that website!

I want a suburban 4 BR, 2.5 bath house with an attic for storage and a garage in a safe neighborhood with a yard. Other than that I don’t care a lot.

But... instead of complain any more, I am trying to change my mindset and attitude and just take action and make things happen

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
A well-decorated townhome will sell better than a hodge podge one.

And, you LIVE THERE! You should like it! I wouldn't go crazy with the budget but I would work to make it something you love yet still appealing to the "average buyer." Nothing crazy, even if you love crazy, but still what you love.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

We love ceiling fans. I hate a/c and use it only when absolutely necessary. We use our ceiling fans a LOT. And, when a/c is on, a ceiling fan on low will reduce the electric bill. It moves the air and you feel cooler at a higher temp.

I keep trying to tell him that. We need to paint and have nice furniture and keep this place clean and maintained. That is not his strength. And it’s not really mine while I am workin my full-time. You are so so right though. Staging/appearance is everything.

One of his concerns is our cat ruining new furniture. Valid.

And yes good point about ceiling fans! We are going to install them this week.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #50
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. We have 4 cats. Microfiber holds up the best with cats and messy kids. You can get stains off of microfiber so easily. My DH picked out our new furniture and he got faux leather. The cats keep trying to scratch it.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Virginia (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #51
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Thanks so much! It’s not that we would get rid of them— it’s that DH hates moving... he literally said today that the idea of buying furniture just to move it is annoying to him :facepalm lol
You aren't buying things to fill up empty rooms and then move. You are buying things that you will use and enjoy in this space right now. I hope that once he sees and feels the difference that he will enjoy it and support you.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Little Forest (05-03-2018), Virginia (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 08:05 PM   #52
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Yeah. We have 4 cats. Microfiber holds up the best with cats and messy kids. You can get stains off of microfiber so easily. My DH picked out our new furniture and he got faux leather. The cats keep trying to scratch it.

I am all about easy clean up. Our current couch is microfiber...

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
You aren't buying things to fill up empty rooms and then move. You are buying things that you will use and enjoy in this space right now. I hope that once he sees and feels the difference that he will enjoy it and support you.

Thank you so much. I hope so, too.

After a conversation today...

He has agreed to spend up to a thousand dollars on a couch. We are going shopping Friday so my mom can watch the baby.

Ceiling fans— he has agreed to purchase some from Lowe’s. We will probably have to pay someone to install them or wait for my dad to do it.

He doesn’t think we need a new dresser. Our current one is so hard to open and shut it’s almost not functional. It’s also splintering at the bottom, so it’s a safety hazard (our disagreements about safety and child proofing is a whole new thread).

That’s a start, right? I am hoping I can update the thread with some positive progress haha

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (04-01-2018), squiddles (03-31-2018), TraceMama (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #53
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I love our couch. It was 200 bucks at a store closing! Hope you find a great one! Ours is 13 years old and going strong.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #54
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I love our couch. It was 200 bucks at a store closing! Hope you find a great one! Ours is 13 years old and going strong.

That’s encouraging! Thank you! Me too

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 04-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #55
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

You might google a rooms to go outlet and see if one nearby.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #56
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
You might google a rooms to go outlet and see if one nearby.

We have one about twenty minutes away Great idea! Thank you!

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (04-01-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #57
Virginia
Rose Garden

Updates!

We also bought a gray sleeper sofa to be delivered 4/21!

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

And K’s room— we still need a dresser and maybe glider.

She’s not sleeping in here yet but... it’s my favorite room in the house.

On the shelves- the Willow figurine is from my mom. The music box with the little girl and cat was from my grandma to me; she passed away in 2006

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
charla (04-07-2018), KSL (04-07-2018), PrincessAnika (04-10-2018), RiverRock (04-07-2018), Singingmom (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #58
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I love it!
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #59
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future

The entryway looks amazing too!! The yellows, the rug, the entryway table... I really like it.

Married to the Haitian Sensation since 2007
Mom to S, DS since October 2009

and

E, DD born February 22nd, 2016

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #60
Virginia
Rose Garden

Thank you! I feel so much happier walking into a home with bright colors and pictures of my family

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (04-07-2018), knitlove (04-07-2018), KSL (04-07-2018), RiverRock (04-07-2018)