Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

MayzieMcgrew is on a distinguished road
Default Essential Oils

Anybody use EO a lot? How did you get started? Where did you get information? I'm looking into it, but am a bit overwhelmed by all the information, hehe. Any help is appreciated .

C - (almost) 2 years old
MayzieMcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Essential Oils

I use them sparingly, but have found them very helpful in different situations. It's been awhile but I think that I began making my own cleaners which called for orange, lavender, and tea tree oil and that was how I started using them. Then I did some online research to use them on our own bodies and for diffusing. I do it sparingly though because I know they are very potent and I know one has to be careful around children and pets. The ones we use most often are lavender (on body for anxiety and stress) and thieves (diffused to protect against illness).
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-18-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I was skeptical that they actually work. I mean it is such a tiny, expensive bottle and you say, '1' drop LOL So, I started looking up online and then reading. I discovered that not all EO are alike. I learned that I wanted 'pure' and theraputic EO.

I do not use a multi level marketing brand. I feel safe using the brand we chose and am not dissing the other brands. I got a good book from the bookstore on herbs and essential oils with suggestions of which ones are helpful and then I use it sparingly.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a heavy user (that sounds confessional lol)

I started 20 yrs ago w just tea tree oil and slowly added on. In the past 5 years I’ve gotten to be a heavy user.

Things I do
1 I use thieves almost daily as deodorant - a few drops under each pit) and on the back of my neck)
2 I diffuse
3 I use for most first symptoms of things (when my ear hurt, first thing I did was tea tree, for headaches I grab my migrastick first, when I’m fighting a cold I add olbas, etc).
4 I use frankincense for brain health

I’d guess I use eo’s at least once a day. My vet uses eo’s so we know which we can and cannot use on our dog.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-19-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-18-2018), simplegirl (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

We use essential oils. Primarily to diffuse tho. We have several diffusers around the house. I buy our oils from plant therapy. I don't really know if they're fantastic or not, but we've been happy and they were recommended to us by a few people on here.

We mostly just end up using the scents that we enjoy the smells of.

I bought our diffusers from amazon after asking a few people what ones they had and liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
I feel safe using the brand we chose and am not dissing the other brands.
What brand is your go to?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

My go to brand is Eden's Garden. You can buy from their site and they also have a storefront on Amazon. (I sometimes get it with my swagbucks gift cards......the prices are almost the same as on their site.)
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-18-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

For evidence based information I like Vintage Remedies online classes and blog.

I like Mountain Rose Herbs brand oils.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-19-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

We use the oils from plant therapy. They have oils that are good ants the ones that are safe for kids are very well-marked. There is also free shipping with no minimum.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-19-2018), houseforjoy (03-20-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I like Cheer Up Buttercup from NOW brand. Diffused in bathroom that goes into hallway.

Haven't used them other than that except for a drop of lime in a lime cake that serves 20. Figure that's okay. Maybe not though.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-19-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018), tempus vernum (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I like Cheer Up Buttercup from NOW brand. Diffused in bathroom that goes into hallway.

Haven't used them other than that except for a drop of lime in a lime cake that serves 20. Figure that's okay. Maybe not though.
I carry cheer up butter cup in a sniffer that’s refillable —-
So uplifting

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-18-2018), MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #11
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I love my oils! I use them all the time.

What are you wanting to use them for? I use them for so many things. It could be overwhelming to start, but to start, I'd look at two or three things I am hoping the oils will help with and start there. (Like, headaches, blood pressure, attention, sleep, warts, mood, cleaning, immune booster, skin care, whatever.) Just start with a couple things, and then pick a few oils for those things.

I do use MLM oils, and I honestly do think that a starter kit is the easiest and most affordable way to get started. But, I used other oils for cleaning and illness way before I was a wholesale member of anywhere. I do notice a big difference in the ones I buy now versus what I was using before, but I have never tried the other brands mentioned here.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018), simplegirl (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

I guess I'd want to start using them to boost my kids immune system (two year old), and for bettering my attention (finishing up my law degree, and energy and attention are very much needed, hehe). What would you recommend for those things?

C - (almost) 2 years old
Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #13
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

To keep germs at bay, I definitely would diffuse a Thieves-type blend. I felt comfortable making a roller of Thieves and rolling it on the soles of my little ones' feet. (you would want to pick what dilution you were comfortable with...basically just put some drops in a roller bottle and then fill the rest with a carrier oil. For age 2, I use 1 drop EO per 4 drops carrier oil. I use fractionated coconut oil.) Roll it on the soles of feet at bedtime or if there has been exposure, a few times a day.

My kids are older, but when sore throats are going around, we roll it right on the neck in the front. A few of my kids are always coming to me this time of year asking "Mom, My throat is scratchy. Where is a roller?"
In the fall, I was camping with my DD's scout troop and I started getting an awful sore throat pretty much out of nowhere (like *sore*, not just scratchy! It hurt without swallowing, and it hurt so bad to swallow, I could not even eat our dutch oven molten chocolate cake! ) I felt terrible and fevery by bedtime. I rolled Thieves on my neck(front and over my lymph nodes) and the bottoms of my feet before bed. In the morning, I woke up with no fever and my throat was 100 percent better!
We managed to dodge the flu and even colds this year, even though I know we had direct exposure. I also made elderberry syrup and we were pretty religious about hand washing, so that helped, too. But I am never without Thieves now!

Attention- there are so many things. I will be back later. Do you have any oils now?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 03-19-2018 at 07:12 AM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #14
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

Wow!! That is amazing!! I didn't know Thieves Oil was so helpful in warding off illnesses. I'll definitely try to start there!!!!! Thank you so much!!

C - (almost) 2 years old
Old 03-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #15
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Tea Tree, Lavender, and Thieves for years and poo poo'd the MLM all the while. I have several reliable, not-in-my-face friends that sell and I decided to jump into the MLM thing last year and I'm kind of hooked. Especially after my massage therapist kept using them on me during my sessions.

I am currently in love with Frankincense, although expensive, it seems to help me with some headaches. My kids swear by a peppermint roll-on that I use for their tummies when they are upset. And while my youngest had the flu this winter, I used a roll-on with Thieves and Oregano and it really seemed to help shorten it. We diffuse various oils as well.

I'm interested to hear what others are doing. I love learning new ways to use them!
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-20-2018)