Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chat about exercising and healthier eating.

My oldest is home from college and was telling me yesterday that jogging burns more calories than walking. But I hate jogging! wah!

My youngest is almost 7 and I've been hanging on to 8-10# since having him. My BMI is in the normal range, the high end of it, but normal range. So I don't "need" to lose weight but would really like to lose 5-10#.

My mom has wanted to lose 20# for years and years. I don't want to turn into that.

I walk 20-30 minutes most days. I'd really like to get walking 45 minutes at a fast pace. I have an exercise video I like but don't get motivated to do it.

My 12 yr old walks the neighbor's dogs nearly every day, about a mile. I'd like to get her more active as he's a little overweight.

As for food, I eat too much PB, natural so just peanuts and salt, but still I also like chocolate milk.

I eat a fair amount of vegetables, could definitely eat more. Trying to not eat as much bread or pasta.

A friend does Keto, I haven't read too much about it.

I think if I could just add more exercise to my day that might do it.

Thoughts? What do you know about better eating?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chat about exercising and healthier eating.

I really love couch 2 5k if you’re not into running, I think it eases you in pretty well. I kinda got stuck 5 weeks in, but I also found out I likely have asthma so treating that should do it. Anyways I never ran, never could run for longer than a mile at a time and didn’t like it, but C25K helped build up strength and stamina and now I love it. I can’t wait to get back to it.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
M jogging burns more calories than walking.

Per minute or per mile? Yes, jogging burns more calories per minute for sure. It also builds more muscle which in turn will burn more calories at rest.
BUT I couldn't stick with anything I didn't at least like to do on some level. So there is the being able to do it commitment.

From what I understand true Keto can be dangerous if you do it right and most people out there doing it are not doing it right anyway so it doesn't matter.

What hasn't changed it losing weight slowly is the best way to KEEP the weight off. So I would find a healthy way to lose weight and that may look different for one person than another and follow that plan. The other thing that has shown to be effective in dieting is regardless of what plan you chose to use, some type of accountability greatly increases your chance of being successful - so I would find something that had that aspect.

MAybe you can find a diet and work out partner. Maybe you can start a challenge here or something.

Good luck. I gained a bit of weight since I had to give up running and walking (foot issues) and being exposed to so much junk this time of year (just now getting released to start walking again) and need to be motivated to eat right too. It's so hard and every time i hit my goal weight I say AND THIS TIME I AM KEEPING IT OFF and I do for awhile and then I'm not.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-17-2019), lavenlove (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Trigger warning:

My approach to food and exercise has to be a little conventional, as I am a recovering anorexic. So my focus can’t be weight loss or I really could be tempted to relapse.

I also do best with a really strict and structured plan, if I have a specific health goal.

I thrived doing Beach Body’s 28 Day Fix. I want to do Whole 30. I try really hard to buy organic and eat unprocessed foods, but I personally am not crazy strict about it right now

The hardest part for ME is that DH is not emphasizing or prioritizing healthy eating and exercise right now. I don’t know how to have that conversation with him in a supportive way. I hate being the one who always had to initiate everything in our family (budgeting, house repairs, health, you name it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-17-2019), lavenlove (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't start running if you don't like it. Especially since you are much more likely to increase inflammation and joint problems with running as opposed to walking. If you enjoy walking, there are things you can do to increase muscle activation while walking.

If you have an exercise video you like, pick a time and just do it. Once it becomes a habit you'll be motivated. Therev are apps that help develop habits.

I like My Fitness Pal for tracking my food. It helps me stay balanced.

I'm not a fan of keto or IF, to put it mildly. I won't go into why unless you really want to know.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (12-23-2019), kiloyd (12-17-2019), Virginia (12-17-2019), WanderingJuniper (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

If I had a walking partner (ie a talking partner) I'd walk 3 miles a day! But timing is hard. And I know I should be using my arms when I walk but I don't, I have 1# weights I could carry.

What about eating habits? I need protein ideas. 7 years ago when pregnant I got into the habit of eating 2 spoonfuls of PB before bed and most nights still do it. That or a small cup of chocolate milk.

What are good things to eat when one is hungry but not a meal?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Virginia (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If I had a walking partner (ie a talking partner) I'd walk 3 miles a day! But timing is hard. And I know I should be using my arms when I walk but I don't, I have 1# weights I could carry.

What about eating habits? I need protein ideas. 7 years ago when pregnant I got into the habit of eating 2 spoonfuls of PB before bed and most nights still do it. That or a small cup of chocolate milk.

What are good things to eat when one is hungry but not a meal?

Greek yogurt with fruit or granola is a good source of protein, and easy.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-23-2019), lavenlove (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Greek yogurt with fruit or granola is a good source of protein, and easy.

Is Greek yogurt the fluffy yogurt? I didn't like that a long time ago but will try it again.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 12-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Is Greek yogurt the fluffy yogurt? I didn't like that a long time ago but will try it again.

No, opposite- very dense

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-17-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I love Greek yogurt with blueberries and chia seeds.

I make my own protein shakes most mornings.
Almond milk
Collagen powder (could use vegan protein powder)
Frozen banana or frozen blueberries
Inulin powder
Chia seeds
Cocoa powder (sometimes)
Ice
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-20-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #11
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I don't like running and unless I can get to an aerobics class most intense forms of cardio end up boring me. I ride my stationary bike to warm up for a stretch or weight training. Every now and then if I feel like I need a good sweat I'll do a high intensity interval training session, but I would never do that more than once a week. Too stressful. Walking is great though.

I've been doing keto since the summer to support my Dh, who's doing it for non weight related reasons. I love the stability of my blood sugar and my energy. When we started I had two or three vanity pounds I wanted to drop. I haven't lost any weight, in fact I've gained about three pounds. I've lost inches though, and it's obvious I've gained lean mass. It's certainly not the only way to lose fat, any caloric deficit will accomplish that, but we all have different methods we'll respond to better than others.

Body weight exercises are a great place to start if you want to try resistance training. If it suits you, you can add weights. You'll improve your bone mass, your cardiac fitness, your brain health, and more lean mass increases your metabolism. My little home gym has been pieced together over 3+ years partly from yard sales, and provides more than ample weight to move.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #12
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Just to throw another angle out there on the running thing. When I started regularly exercising, I would have been fully on the "I don't like running, I don't ever intend to run" band wagon. I started by walking every day. Several miles a day (I had a few specific trails that I would walk). Non negotiable - it was just something I did every day. Then I got to the point where I thought I could add in some short spurts of jogging. Then I slowly did longer and longer spurts. Until eventually I was able to jog the whole thing.

I now jog 5 miles, 5 days a week, and I enjoy it more than a walk, just because i can get more exercise in to a shorter time frame.

Just throwing it out there because sometimes what we think we will hate, can turn in to something we love. But if you decide to try it don't just go out there running cold turkey. Start by building a brisk walk in to your regular schedule and then slowly work up as you feel you're ready.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-23-2019), Soliloquy (12-23-2019), twoplustwo (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Yes, it is very, very true that fitness activities your don't like can become favorites over time.

There's so many options that there's absolutely no reason to start with something you don't enjoy.

The best fitness activities are ones you can enjoy on a regular basis without incurring injures. It's consistency over time that gives you health benefits and improved appearance (if that's a factor for someone). Doesn't matter how good a fitness activity is on paper. If you quit after a month because you just don't like it or it makes your knees hurt, etc, then it's not helping you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #14
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Just to throw another angle out there on the running thing. When I started regularly exercising, I would have been fully on the "I don't like running, I don't ever intend to run" band wagon. I started by walking every day. Several miles a day (I had a few specific trails that I would walk). Non negotiable - it was just something I did every day. Then I got to the point where I thought I could add in some short spurts of jogging. Then I slowly did longer and longer spurts. Until eventually I was able to jog the whole thing.

I now jog 5 miles, 5 days a week, and I enjoy it more than a walk, just because i can get more exercise in to a shorter time frame.

Just throwing it out there because sometimes what we think we will hate, can turn in to something we love. But if you decide to try it don't just go out there running cold turkey. Start by building a brisk walk in to your regular schedule and then slowly work up as you feel you're ready.
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I sometimes jog a teensy bit and will tell myself "to that mailbox" or "to that next driveway". My dog would love it if I jogged too, she gets to go faster. She loves it when I take her on a bike ride!

Rained the past 2 days. Didn't walk yesterday, got in a 10 minute walk today when the rain stopped.

I bought some Greek yogurt. I liked it. What makes Greek better for you than regular? I usually buy Stonyfield when I do buy. Used to buy plain and vanilla and mix so sweet but not as sweet.

I just don't want to end up like my mom , that has wanted to lose 20# for the past 20 years. I just want to lose 5-10, or at the last not gain anymore! I'm at the end of the normal BMI range.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10

Last edited by kiloyd; 12-23-2019 at 08:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (12-24-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Just fyi BMI is not intended to evaluate individuals and is not an indicator of health or predisposition to weight related illness.

Percent body fat, waist to hip ratio, VO2 max, and cardiac recovery time are good indicators. BMI is for evaluating large populations of people and nothing more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-25-2019), passthemanna (12-23-2019), Virginia (12-24-2019)