Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:50 PM   #16
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chat about exercising and healthier eating.

If I exercise, I want it to be fun, not something I hate or dread. Because of that, I do Zumba at the Y a few times a week. It's so much fun, I get a great workout, and have met some great friends that way as well. I think dietary needs and what works for people can vary so much. For me, what seems to help somewhat is watching my carbs, limiting gluten and dairy, along with intermittent fasting. My body, however, doesn't seem to respond to these kinds of changes immediately the way other people's do, but long term, it seems to be a good combo for me. It's just really slow going with the weight loss. If nothing else, at least I am maintaining my weight loss for the most part, which I count as a success.
kiloyd (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I sometimes jog a teensy bit and will tell myself "to that mailbox" or "to that next driveway". My dog would love it if I jogged too, she gets to go faster. She loves it when I take her on a bike ride!

Rained the past 2 days. Didn't walk yesterday, got in a 10 minute walk today when the rain stopped.

I bought some Greek yogurt. I liked it. What makes Greek better for you than regular? I usually buy Stonyfield when I do buy. Used to buy plain and vanilla and mix so sweet but not as sweet.

I just don't want to end up like my mom , that has wanted to lose 20# for the past 20 years. I just want to lose 5-10, or at the last not gain anymore! I'm at the end of the normal BMI range.

Greek yogurt has tons of protein compared to regular. I usually buy plain Greek yogurt for myself but DD likes it with a little honey or strawberry jam mixed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #18
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Yea, greek is higher protein. It's just a more concentrated yogurt -- it goes through an additional straining process to remove more of the liquids.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Dance if FUN! Back in college I did line dancing weekly and took a two stepping class twice. So fun and such good exercise!

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Just fyi BMI is not intended to evaluate individuals and is not an indicator of health or predisposition to weight related illness.

Percent body fat, waist to hip ratio, VO2 max, and cardiac recovery time are good indicators. BMI is for evaluating large populations of people and nothing more.
Interesting. Never knew that!

How do I figure out the other things?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #20
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
Body weight exercises are a great place to start if you want to try resistance training. If it suits you, you can add weights. You'll improve your bone mass, your cardiac fitness, your brain health, and more lean mass increases your metabolism. My little home gym has been pieced together over 3+ years partly from yard sales, and provides more than ample weight to move.
This! Move a lot most days, and do something for strength that isn’t repetitive cardio like walking or jogging. After 30 or 35, we are losing muscle. Any muscle we can maintain or even gain is a bonus for so many reasons. Strength training can also be done in circuits, which can be interval cardio conditioning as well.

Body fat calculator based on simple measurements:
https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html It isn’t the most accurate method, but you can do it easily at home and it gives an idea and is a way to evaluate progress.

If losing five pounds is your goal, you can do it. I’ve found it more helpful for myself to have goals that are smaller, even more specific, and are positive actions of things I will do. Like, eat at least ten servings of fruit and vegetables daily, or shoot for a certain number of grams of fiber. Do at least x amount of movement each day, things like that. Some times of the year or phases of life, it works better for me to plan out my workouts for the week, like now, when I’m not very motivated but do have specific strength goals. During others I do better just doing something each day that appeals.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teamommy For This Useful Post:
HomeWithMyBabies (12-27-2019), kiloyd (12-27-2019), Sweet Life (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #21
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Something seems way off with that calculator. It says I need to *gain* twenty pounds of fat to reach ideal. I'm no where near underweight, and an extra twenty pounds would be really uncomfortable. It also says using the BMI method would put me at 30%, but it doesn't, it puts me at close to what they say is ideal for my age.

I like looking at waist to hip ratio especially because of the health implications. However unless you are very short, very tall or incredibly muscular BMI is an a helpful tool for an individual.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #22
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
Something seems way off with that calculator. It says I need to *gain* twenty pounds of fat to reach ideal. I'm no where near underweight, and an extra twenty pounds would be really uncomfortable. It also says using the BMI method would put me at 30%, but it doesn't, it puts me at close to what they say is ideal for my age.

I like looking at waist to hip ratio especially because of the health implications. However unless you are very short, very tall or incredibly muscular BMI is an a helpful tool for an individual.
Yeah, that says I'm obese and BMI 33. I am not obese, I'm not even overweight.

I really really really need to actually use the 3# weights I bought and work my arms.

ETA: The "ideal weight calculator" seems accurate. Says with my height and age my ideal BMI weight is 118-159#. I am about 154# in the morning.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10

Last edited by kiloyd; 12-27-2019 at 08:22 PM.
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote