Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default House-only Shoes, and other hardwood questions

We are moving to a house with hardwood floors. Brazilian Cherry, if that makes a difference.
We have 9 people in our house, so there will be a lot of traffic!
When we bought our current home, our carpet was already in not the best shape, and DH is very adamant about always wearing shoes because his feet are so delicate, LOL. So, we never enforced a "no shoes in the house" rule or bothered with house shoes, even though I think it is gross to wear shoes that have been outside in the house.

We agreed that we would have a "no shoes" or "House only shoes" rule in the new house. I am leaning toward house shoes so we don't have so many footprints to clean up on the shiny wood floor.

What would you recommend for house only shoes for both adults and children? They need to be inexpensive and easy to put on and take off. What would you think should be the procedure for them?

Also, how do you clean the floors? Obviously dust them with a Swiffer or something, but what about footprints?
Also, how easily do they scratch/scuff? Can the kids run cars or play with toys on them, or do we need to put a mat down?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House-only Shoes, and other hardwood questions

Crocs. We're a 'no shoes in the house' family, but our basement needs shoes. We use crocs (or generic ones) for the basement. They're comfy, easy to clean, and simple to put on and remove. They should also be comfortable for your DH.

If you don't want to do crocs, another option are 'house slippers' like they do in other countries.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I would do slippers and make sure you have new/fresh ones for guests. I’m a barefoot person but I think bare feet are really gross, especially if they’ve been in shoes. I also really don’t like wearing other people’s slippers so shoe covers might be a good idea for guests who might be uncomfortable.

Wood floors do scratch and you will be sweeping or dust mopping way more than you might think (especially if you have pets) Depends on where you live. Here it’s a daily thing.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
RealLifeMama (09-07-2018), Virginia (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Katigre
Rose Garden

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I have never thought about footprints on wood floors before, and I've only lived in houses with wood not carpet.

When I wash the floors I spray them with cleaner and use a wet towel to wash it with my feet (I scoot the wet towel over the floor).
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m another that never thought abt footprints but we r a “take your shoes off” when u come in the house unless u r a guest.

I use my sh mop damp and sometimes put essential oils on it. It takes minutes.

I sweep maybe once a week if I remember and mop less I should maybe clean more but my wood doesn’t get dusty or dirty. We have a dog that doesn’t shed and 3 older kids. When we had a German Shepherd it was a different story. I swept a lot more to get the dog hair cleaned up.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We've had hardwood almost exclusively for many years. Very little carpet.

Clean feet don't leave footprints. We are barefoot in summer and wear slippers in winter.

I sweep at least once a day. I'm not a fan of Swiffers.

I have a Shark steam mop that I use for weekly cleaning. I spot clean with my regular homemade cleaning spray (diluted vinegar and EOs).
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to know footprints are not an issue for most. My parents have wood floors and when we visit, we cannot wear shoes. When the sun shines, I always see little smudgey looking prints down the hall. Just dullness.

Those of you that sweep, do you use a regular broom? Like straw? We will have central vac with little portals in the walls, so that is supposed to make sweeping easier.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
Katigre
Rose Garden

Not straw, nylon bristles. Like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/O-Cedar-A...Broom/28654760
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
lavenlove (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I currently have an angled synthetic broom. Natural bristle brooms are awesome, if they're angled. I used to have a beautiful handmade one, Sweep Dreams was the brand. I'd love to get another one some day.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #10
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

We are also a no shoes house with wood floors. No footprints at all. In the winter, I wear wool clogs for slippers.

I vacuum my wood floors once a week. I sweep in-between if they need it. I use a fabric pad mop (I'm not sure how else to describe it) with water/lemon juice/Thieves spray to wash the floors, and twice a year I actually get on my hands and knees to give them a good scrub.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #11
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Our house is largely wood floors. We have always been a no outdoors shoes in the house family (regardless of flooring).

I personally dislike walking around on hard floors in barefeet (plus my feet are always cold!) so I'm always wearing wool socks or slippers. That's probably the most ideal for wood floors. That said, I can barely keep my kids in socks and shoes when they're outside let alone in the house! So inevitably they are always barefoot in the house. We've never had much of a problem with it. Technically yes, the oils on their feet do leave some residue on the floor that can be visible after a while but I have to clean the floors way more often for other reasons for that to even become a noticeable issue.

If your family wants to do a house only shoes rule and it works for everyone I'd go with something like slippers. Super easy on and off and still super comfy.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Walmart sells inexpensive slippers for kids.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #13
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Glad to know footprints are not an issue for most. My parents have wood floors and when we visit, we cannot wear shoes. When the sun shines, I always see little smudgey looking prints down the hall. Just dullness.

Those of you that sweep, do you use a regular broom? Like straw? We will have central vac with little portals in the walls, so that is supposed to make sweeping easier.
I grew up with hardwood, and now we have faux hardwood No footprints here! The only smudges are whenever the baby drops food on the floor and DH tries to "wipe" it up and just smears it everywhere :Shifty

We don't do shoes inside. If guests wear them inside, though, we don't make a big deal if it I feel like that would be rude of me to do that, so I just suck it up haha.

Sweeping-- I use either a Swiffer (which picks up the cat hair better than a regular broom) or, as others have said, an angled nylon broom. I try to sweep daily or at least every other day, but I'm not the best at remembering
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
BCSweetie
Rosebud

BCSweetie will become famous soon enough

We use the Vileda spray mop that has reusable cloths and you fill with your own cleaner. I like to wear hard bottomed slippers. I like soft bottomed ones too but they wear out too fast. I also will buy just house Dr. Scholls too because they’re comfy. My children do different things depending on the child but this is what I like.