Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have a minimalist kitchen? Share your selection of cookware, please!

I have been put out a lot looking at my pantry, as I have way too many cookware type things and am always having to move them off the counter/stove to use the counter/stove. The cupboards I have are full....of other stuff.

I need to seriously cull a lot of the things I've been keeping around just in case. I know. But I'm not sure what the absolute essentials to keep around are, kwim? I like a little variety every now and again, and some of the stuff I keep is very usable, and sentimental because they were wedding presents from over a decade ago but they're Corelle bakeware and I love them....

So....if you've already been through the whole get-rid-of-nonessentials and have simplified your kitchen, please share.

You can share pics, or just a list of what pots/pans/bakeware you have would be awesome.

I just need to see how other people operate, to know it's doable to get rid of a bunch of this stuff.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have a minimalist kitchen? Share your selection of cookware, please!

I could do with less but I have several stoneware pieces that I use for baking (2 bar pans, 1 muffin, 1 cake, 1 pie, 1 loaf and 1 square.) I also have a bowl but I never use it so it's probably going.
I have several casseroles that match my dishes. I would never have bought them but they were a package deal. I do use them but could get along fine without.

I have a kitchen aid and a food processor and they are now essentials even though I lived without for a long time.

I have 2 small and 2 large cast iron fry pans that I use a lot. I could get by with one small and one large. I have a Dutch oven but rarely use it because I use my aluminum Dutch oven. I also have a cast iron wok but I don't need it.
I have a waffle maker and a rice maker. I could get by without the rice maker but it's nice to have. I have other

I need a sauce pan. I have none.

I could get along with 1 frying pan, 1 casserole, 1 Dutch oven, 1 sauce pan, 1 loaf pan, and a cookie sheet and good knives.

Why not take out everything you think you don't need and keep it in the garage for 6 months. Retrieve things if you need them and then get rid of whatever you haven't pulled out.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (10-11-2014), Lady TS (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have a minimalist kitchen? Share your selection of cookware, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I could do with less but I have several stoneware pieces that I use for baking (2 bar pans, 1 muffin, 1 cake, 1 pie, 1 loaf and 1 square.) I also have a bowl but I never use it so it's probably going.
I have several casseroles that match my dishes. I would never have bought them but they were a package deal. I do use them but could get along fine without.

I have a kitchen aid and a food processor and they are now essentials even though I lived without for a long time.

I have 2 small and 2 large cast iron fry pans that I use a lot. I could get by with one small and one large. I have a Dutch oven but rarely use it because I use my aluminum Dutch oven. I also have a cast iron wok but I don't need it.
I have a waffle maker and a rice maker. I could get by without the rice maker but it's nice to have. I have other

I need a sauce pan. I have none.

I could get along with 1 frying pan, 1 casserole, 1 Dutch oven, 1 sauce pan, 1 loaf pan, and a cookie sheet and good knives.

Why not take out everything you think you don't need and keep it in the garage for 6 months. Retrieve things if you need them and then get rid of whatever you haven't pulled out.
That's exactly the sort of answer I was looking for! Thank you!

I think I will start with what I bolded in the quote, plus a cutting board.

Great idea on storing the stuff I don't always use---that way I can keep the stuff I do use accessible but not on my countertop/stove! Our garage is very....rustic and very much outside, but perhaps I can stash them somewhere else.

Question: Where does your cast iron live? Mine is always on the stove(stacked) or in the oven(stacked) or on top of my crockpot (with lid inverted) on the counter.

My cast iron consists of: 1 large skillet, 2 medium and one small(omelet size) skillet, and an enameled cast iron dutch oven.

I have multiple pieces of things like loaf pans, pie pans, muffin tins because there is that part of me that wants to bulk cook (and does....sometimes) and I really neeeed to have multiples to get the job done more quickly and to conserve energy. Maybe the extras should live in Elsewhereland until I need them.

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 10-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

I have one large, one small, and one medium flat cast iron pan, plus a lid for the large one. They live on one side of a lower cabinet next to the stove.

I have a 2 qt, 3 qt, and 8 qt stainless steel pots, along with their lids. They live on the other side of that same cabinet.

I have a large glass baking dish (cake size), a 8x8 glass baking dish, and a glass loaf pan. They are stacked on a shelf in an upper cabinet.

I have 3 different sizes of cookie sheets because we use them several times a week. I have 2 muffin pans and 1 mini muffin pan. All of these are stacked on one side of a lower cabinet. The plastic cutting boards are on the shelf of above them. I get them for 2/$3 at a store across town, so there's several there until I start throwing them out.

During all the moving, I finally parted with my Corelle casserole dishes. I hadn't used them in years. I was able to find a good home for them where they get used regularly. (Makes it sound like a gave away a puppy )

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tazmom For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

My cast iron is in the lower cupboard next to the stove except for two pans that live on the stove because I use them constantly. At my old house they were all on books on the wall and I loved that.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (10-06-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a minimalist kitchen but I do not want to have every single gadget, type of pan, or small appliance on the market. I think hard before I buy something if it's worth giving it space. I could stand to lose a large amount of kitchen stuff even still, mostly stuff I never use or use very little that's been given to me.

I like multi-use stuff. For instance, I would never buy a citrus reamer because I just use the tip of my chefs knife for that. We cook so much and have several pans going for most meals so my essentials are a large skillet, a small skillet, a dutch oven, two medium saucepans and one small, several sizes of sheet trays, several sizes of casseroles and I love my pizza pans (even though they are single use for the most part ). In a harder to get place in a cabinet, I have a really large stockpot that I use when I make meals for a large crowd. I have three crockpots and that might seem over the top but it's amazing how much I use them regularly all at the same time for church potlucks, large family dinners, etc. I've had a toaster oven for many, many years, but I realized I only used that toaster oven very rarely for a piece of toast or to toast nuts and so when it broke I didn't replace it and put the large crockpot there that I use almost weekly so I didn't have to lug it out of the cabinet each week. Toast or nuts on a sheet pan in the oven work just as well.

I think if you think through the things you use on a regular basis, those are the things you should keep. If there is something that you use every once in awhile but it would be hard to do without (like my great big stockpot) those could stay as well. You could also keep those things that would serve multi functionally and get rid of the single function item that you can use a multifunctional item to accomplish the same task. The items and the amount are going to look different for each household and our individual needs.

One of the things I'd like to work on is getting over being afraid of getting rid of stuff I haven't used in forever but I'm always afraid as soon as I get rid of it, I'll need it. I love the idea that another poster mentions about putting things in a box.

And we won't talk about my obsession with pretty dishes and how many of those I own. There may or may not be dishes in nearly every room of my home on display.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (10-06-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Ravenzmama
Seedling Rose

"The words you speak become the house you live in." Hafiz

Ravenzmama will become famous soon enough

I use cast iron mostly for cooking. I can use it on the stove top or in the oven. Also I do keep a favorite ceramic skillet because its the only thing I can successfully make an omelette in. Also have one pampered chef baking dish for casseroles, it was a gift from my sis in law. That's about it other than a mixing bowl. I have a tiny kitchen, less is best.
Ravenzmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
JessicaGhig
Seedling Rose

JessicaGhig is a jewel in the roughJessicaGhig is a jewel in the roughJessicaGhig is a jewel in the roughJessicaGhig is a jewel in the rough

Maybe you could box everything up for a year, and see which items you actually go dig out of the boxes. After a year donate what's still packed up. A year would give you time to get through every holiday and season.
JessicaGhig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaGhig For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (11-26-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an regularly use my...
Stainless steel..
Chefs pot
Large frying pan
Medium frying pan

Large Pyrex casserole dish
Pyrex bread pan dish
3 Bread pans
A large croc casserole dish
3 cookie sheets
My large ceramic collander
My large and medium stainless steel mixing bowls
And my pampered chef batter bowl
Pyrex measuring cup
And set of measuring spoons and measuring cups.

I don't know if that could be considered minimalist. But I probably do more cooking and baking than average and often have multiple things going all at once.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (11-26-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
mom23sons
Rose Bouquet

mom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to all

I have a tiny kitchen and bare essentials but feel like I could shed some of it....
I have:
sm, med, and large cast iron pans.
Cast iron griddle
2 9X13 pans, 2 loaf pans, 2 pie , 2 casserole dishes one med and one extra large
3 pots, sm med and large and one stock pot.
one crockpot and 2 cookie sheets
3 stainless steel mixing bowl.
1 small mixer.
I think that is the most of it......
I could probably get rid of 1 or 2 of my pots, a bowl and a pie plate--but than would have to get rid of one at Thanksgiving(am making pies this year!)
Pull all that you have out and see what you have for duplicates. When I had deep cupboards it always amazed me what lurked in the corners I didn't know was there!
Lady TS (11-26-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

I don't have a small kitchen per se but I have very limited kitchen storage - basically two upper cabinets and two lower cabinets plus a small cart we bought. One of the lower cabinets contains cookware/bakeware: one wok, one large frying pan, one small frying pan, one egg-poaching pan (I'd get rid of that in a heartbeat but it's dh's), one large stockpot, one medium dutch oven type pan, one medium saucepan, one small sauce pan, one muffin pan, 8x8 pan, 9x9 pan, bread loaf pan, pie pan, 2 very small cookie sheets, three bowls, and two glass bakewear with lids, one one-quart round and one weird smallish rectangle (I acquired these in a grocery promo and while I use them I don't need them). I also have a 9x13 glass pan that doesn't have a home because it doesn't fit in the cabinets, so it kind of lives in the dish rack.

The other lower cabinet holds silverwear, towels and rags, and plastic containers, and the upper cabinets hold food and dishes. Knives and cooking utensils are in two crocks on the counter. The cart has the rice cooker, crock pot, blender, and hand mixer, plus a couple bags of flour that don't fit well in the cupboard.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (12-02-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I have
3 sizes of pots
2 sizes of non-stick frying pans
2 baking trays (flat)
2 muffin trays
3 cake pans
2 bread tins (that I usually bake cake in!)
1 slow cooker
1 sieve

Oh, and I forgot one glass container thing for the oven
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (12-02-2014)
Old 01-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

I think i am going to try tackling my kitchen things this week! Wish me luck!

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I cook a lot. I feel I have whittled down my supply of things to be about perfect for what we need...not too much and not too little:

Stainless steel...
1 large stock pot
ETA: 1 wok
3 other pots in varying sizes
1 frying pan
1 griddle (my one thing that is coated)
1 cookie sheet (Though I would use 2 at once if I had another one)
2 muffin pans (When I make muffins I almost always make enough to use both)

Clear glass or white ceramic...
3 pie pans
1 long casserole dish
6-7 smaller casserole dishes in varying sizes
8 ramekins

I should just clarify, in case all the casserole dishes, pie pans and ramekins sounds excessive...every one of those things doubles as serving dishes and storage dishes for the fridge so they are all in constant use. All the ceramic pieces are white, so it goes well with my white correlle that we use for our daily dishes.
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

Last edited by ReadingMommy; 01-17-2015 at 09:04 PM.
ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (01-19-2015)