Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grain mill talk!

I'm soooo excited...after about forEVahr, we finally have the funds for a grain mill! I've had a chance to see the Nutrimill in action; any experience with other grinders? We need to keep it under $300. Talk to me!
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grain mill talk!

haha I know how you feel! I have the WonderMill and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it. I think I've had it for two years? I even ground something in it that I wasn't supposed to, but I was able to clear it out and it still works!

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
melliethepooh (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have the nutrimill and love it. I preferred that one to the wondermill because of how you load the grain. The nutrimill, you put in the grain and then turn it on. With the wondermill you MUST have the mill running when grain is added or else you can break the mill. I figured with toddlers around, they may somehow get grain in without me noticing and it not turned on and I didn't want them to accidentally break anything. Also, I liked that the nutrimill is always put together, ready to go on my countertop. The wondermill does take up less counterspace though. Really, in terms of milling power, the two are equivalent so you can't go wrong.

The only thing I would like for a different mill is to get a hand powered one. You can make courser flours/grits and can use it if the power is out!
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derdsgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

our nutrimill! We've had it for seven years or so. The one time we had a problem (and I can't remember what the problem was) the factory fixed it for free.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

Oh! Can you soak the grains before milling them? If you dehydrate them? Will bread get all gluten-y if you do that, or no?

I can't wait.
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

We have a K-Tec Kitchenmill. I think we've had it about 8 years(?) It still works great. Before that, we had a hand mill. It was nice, too, but didn't make nearly as fine of a flour.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot soak grains before milling them. I don't know about if you dehydrate them after sprouting, but I think not, I've never tried. I can look at my owners manual if you want. I do have a friend that milled sprouted grains, but she used a mill attachment to her KitchenAid Mixer, and I don't really know much about those other than they are not meant for heavy duty, everyday milling.

I DO know that another way to get a similar effect as sprouting grains is to soak them *after* they are milled. I've never done this myself, but I have heard of great results.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.blendtec.com/mills-and-mi...FegRMwodnHIAgw

this is what i have and love. i used the nutrimill a few times, but ended up w/ the blendtec, and i am so so glad. i holding a bebe so i will try and come back. and yes soak then dehydrate then mill[ i do it all the time--- or did b4 all these babies

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
melliethepooh (01-01-2015)