Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all
Default juicer vs blender?

I would like to get more fruits and veggies into our diet. I have quite a few friends that have juicers and produce these amazing juices from all sorts of ingredients (well at least that is what their facebook posts say ). So I have been kind of looking at that but I think that pureeing the whole fruit/veg would have more benefits that just the juice? So I have also been looking at the ninja type blenders. My sister has one of those and loves it for smoothies- she can even add almonds to her smoothies and it comes out beautiful . So I guess I am looking for opinions on juicer vs high performance blender. I won't be getting both so one or the other.
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: juicer vs blender?

I think you are right. Better to use the whole fruit/veg so I would vote for blender.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
2TMama (01-22-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

we have a juicer, but are in the market for a nutribullet or something similar. You throw away a lot of pulp with a juicer. I think you could make 3 or 4 smoothies out of what it takes to make 1 juice. And I'm convinced the fiber we've been tossing is good to have =)
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

I think juicing has it's pros and can be good for healing, but smoothies are better as a regular, frequent thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I have both. I use my VitaMix regularly, my juicer rarely. Smoothies are easier than juicing, IMO. Yes, you get the whole fruit/veggie with the smoothie. You can also get less into a serving, which has more pros than cons, in my opinion.

Juicing proponents discuss the pounds and pounds of veggies you can drink in one glass of juice. I don't think that's a good idea on a regular basis. . However, if you have digestive issue or a sensitive gut, removing the fiber, via juicing, can be very healing and allow you get consume fresh produce that would otherwise be too irritating to eat. Fiber can also hinder some absorption of nutrients so, if someone were seriously malnourished, juicing might be better.

Smoothies are faster, less wasteful, usually tastier, more filling, and a blender is easier to clean than a juicer.

If you do get a juicer, it is worth it to invest in a good one. One that doesn't get hot while working and extracts a lot of the juice. The inexpensive ones leave a lot behind. I have an Omega. The Breville is supposed to be good, also.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (01-21-2015), Hopetobe (01-23-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Blendtec blender, which does make whole juice. Whole juice is a lot less pleasant to drink than juice with the fiber thrown out, but it is better for you. I had a juicer but it broke. Also it was a pain to clean, but I don't think all of them are.

I really like making smoothies. I make all kinds- some that would be considered whole juice (I make a super yummy pineapple mango lime one) and some that definitely wouldn't (almond milk, peanut butter, banana, and cocoa powder- that one is basically a meal replacement right there). It's really easy to throw a handful of greens and a few carrots into a smoothie without a change in taste.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (01-23-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I have a husband who goes through fits of raw food only.

I use the juicer about annually. Should use it more, but we have an Omega and there is so much prep. Peeling and chopping, and it takes so much fruit/veg to make a small glass of juice,let alone enough for the three of us who drink it. It's very nice when you are ill or sleep deprived, however. Leaves a ton of pulp which mostly goes into the compost pile.

I love and adore our Vitamix. Takes only a few minutes with minimal prep to make great smoothies. It grinds seeds down to nothing, and makes awesome almond milk. Minimal cleanup. Green smoothies with no chunks of green. I throw several handfuls of greens in, a couple pieces of fruit, and some liquid/yogurt and have plenty for everyone.

We had a ninja for a time. That thing. I held out forever about the vitamix but DH talked me into it and now I'm in love. It heats stuff too, so you can make soups and hot drinks in it if you wish.
Johns_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #8
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

Thanks ladies- I was leaning toward the blender to begin with but now I think that is definitely the way I will go . So now what brand? Seems like everyone likes the Vitamix? I am not sure what my sister has- I will have to ask.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

about 15 or so years ago I wanted to buy a Vitamix and a woman who ran an organic coop we were a part of convinced me to spend *more* money on a Champion juicer . . . and I HATED IT!!! For so many reasons - hated it! I only used it a few times and it made a HUGE mess. One of the few regrets I have about spending large sums of money because i usually research the heck out of things but I was trusting her recommendation.

About 7 or 8 years ago I finally had the opportunity to set aside the money from our tax refund to buy a Vitamix - and we use it almost every day and it was one of the best purchases we have ever made.

Definitely research what you want out of the health benefits and the equipment, but I'd vote not just a blender, but spend the money and get the Vitamix.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Voice of dissent here but I LOVE my Blentec. I've had it for 6 years. Recently it stopped working very well and they gave me a new/refurbished one and a new jar for free!

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (01-23-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I love my vitamix. You can't beat a seven year warranty, and I've heard of so many people who have had their for 25+ years.

I bought mine at Costco, so if you are a member you might want to see what promotion they are running now.

Our Omga juicer is great but the mess makes me crazy, and there is a screen involved in the actual juicing that is a pain to clean.
Johns_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #12
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

wow looked at the price of the vitamix Don't think I will be able to swing that any time in the near future. they look great though My sister offered to give me her old nutribullet to get started so looks like I wont have to get something right away
Old 01-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #13
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Blendtec and Vitamix are both often at Costco (which is cheaper, though still not super cheap). And Blendtec has refurbished models on their website. Vitamix probably does, too.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 01-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

We bought our vitamin refurbished.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #15
SpringMama5
Rosebud

SpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the rough

We have the ninja, we love it. Someday we'll upgrade to a vitamix.
DD1 02/90
DS1 08/04
DD2 10/06
DS2 12/08
DS3 07/10
and

SpringMama5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpringMama5 For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (01-23-2015)