Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #31
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetable/Fruit Gardening 2020

The deer just came through and ate the tops off of most of my garden. I'm really sad. The smell of tomato plants is incredibly calming to me, like new baby smell calming. Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed I just go down and sit quietly and listen to the plants grow. They make a little clicking noise as they grow and it is delightful.

I forgot to close the deer fence last time I was in there. I don't think I've lost any plants completely except maybe my bush beans. Even if they recover, I don't think I'll get a good harvest. Thankfully all my leafy greens were under shade netting and are completely unharmed. Last week I had a huge infestation of worms eating my cabbages and kale. I got rid of them and then this. I'm learning, this is only my second big garden. DH is going to make me a self-closing gate so I don't have to remember to close it.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derdsgirl For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (06-11-2020), knitlove (06-09-2020)
The Following User Says they are praying for derdsgirl:
ECingMama (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 03:22 PM   #32
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by derdsgirl View Post
The deer just came through and ate the tops off of most of my garden. I'm really sad. The smell of tomato plants is incredibly calming to me, like new baby smell calming. Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed I just go down and sit quietly and listen to the plants grow. They make a little clicking noise as they grow and it is delightful.

I forgot to close the deer fence last time I was in there. I don't think I've lost any plants completely except maybe my bush beans. Even if they recover, I don't think I'll get a good harvest. Thankfully all my leafy greens were under shade netting and are completely unharmed. Last week I had a huge infestation of worms eating my cabbages and kale. I got rid of them and then this. I'm learning, this is only my second big garden. DH is going to make me a self-closing gate so I don't have to remember to close it.
I’m so sorry. The self-closing gate sounds awesome.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #33
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

My peas plants are not looking so hot. I don't know that I will get peas.

My spinach looks good but still small. It may be too late for those too.

My friend in the hood gave me 2 tomato starters and I planted them.

I am worried just not enough sun.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #34
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t remember what I planted where and have a ton of mallow weeds. But stuff is growing so that’s cool. J is super motivated to earn PlayStation money so he’s pulling weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (06-11-2020), twoplustwo (06-09-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:53 AM   #35
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

It is so discouraging when animals or pests get in to the garden. In previous years I've had a problem wtih bunnies -- even digging under the fence to get in. We have a good fencing system now so I think we should be good... We'll see.

Still early in the season for us in Michigan. Plants went in almost 3 weeks ago! They're growing so much every day! It's super exciting to watch.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #36
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see this earlier.
I wasn't planning on gardening because I was due during the first part of planting season here. March 20th.
But when the pandemic started I decided it needed to happen a week before my due date my 12yo and I broke out the equipment and started working.
Peas 2 of 6 sprouted and did well.
beats I wasn't able to get back and water these enough, they didn't sprout. Seed are also old.
Kale also old and didn't sprout
Cherry tomatoes I have 8 plants. I started 12 knowing the seeds were also old and only 2 failed!
Radishes grew fine but became woody.
Carrots from last year were already growing and ready for harvest,
Broccoli, cauliflower both grew ok, but I planted them too late, they never grew a head only leaves. I'm hoping to get a head this fall.
Later I tried beans, they didn't sprout so I put in potatoes and they are doing fantastic.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
derdsgirl (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #37
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Pocket gophers are getting quite a few sugar snap peas. The cats are getting quite a few pocket gophers. But, obviously not enough.

Tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, kale, and peppers look fantastic. Squash and cucumbers look okay.

Lettuce looks small and thin. I won't buy Ferry Morse seeds again.

We've had a few strawberries and are awaiting the big explosion of berries.

My grape vines look amazing this year, too! My kids can eat massive amounts of grapes so I'm really excited. I have Concord, himrod, and reliance, all seedless. They are all so much more flavorful than grapes you can buy in the store. I'm planning to pick up a few more vines this summer.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
derdsgirl (06-22-2020), ECingMama (06-22-2020), SewingGreenMama (06-22-2020), squiddles (07-01-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #38
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Pocket gophers are getting quite a few sugar snap peas. The cats are getting quite a few pocket gophers. But, obviously not enough.

Tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, kale, and peppers look fantastic. Squash and cucumbers look okay.

Lettuce looks small and thin. I won't buy Ferry Morse seeds again.

We've had a few strawberries and are awaiting the big explosion of berries.

My grape vines look amazing this year, too! My kids can eat massive amounts of grapes so I'm really excited. I have Concord, himrod, and reliance, all seedless. They are all so much more flavorful than grapes you can buy in the store. I'm planning to pick up a few more vines this summer.
Does it take3 years to get grapes?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #39
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Does it take3 years to get grapes?
I don't recall exactly but that sounds about right.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #40
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my tomato plants are recovering, but not all. DH hasn't made my gate yet, but did make a tomato arbor so I can have string my tomatoes up. I'm hopeful still. Also wondering if I should just plant a bunch more.

We got our first cucumber and zucchini from the garden. Several more zucchini are about to come in so I need to get something set up for freezer preservation there. The leafy greens are coming in (enough to stop having to buy them from the store!) and I need to get those dried and put up as green powder.

My winter squash are taking off, and I just planted the seed for our halloween carving pumpkin. This variety can supposedly grow up to 100lbs! Who knows for sure but sounds like fun for the kids to have one big pumpkin.

Our wild black raspberries are going gangbusters this year. We are going to have way more than we can eat or put up, but that is fine, the birds love them of course.

I have big dreams for my property, and it is really hard to go slow with them. We have so much room, and we live in zone 9. That is a great growing zone for nearly everything. We don't really have hard freezes ever, so with good planning I can grow many things year round. I was looking into what it would take to grow everything we regularly eat, and I can do it, even down to many of the spices. All except coconuts and bananas really. So now I want to just do it all right now, but I can't. We don't have the infrastructure set up yet. I don't have a way to get into the garden for as much time as it would take to set up because of how inaccessible it is, so I have to work around DH's work hours.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derdsgirl For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #41
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Can I chime in from the Southern Hemisphere?

Our veggie garden is doing great! Covid-19 and all the restrictions really pushed me to get it going properly again. Nothing beats walking out and picking something to add to dinner...or making dinner from what is in the garden.

I've got climbing beans, bok choy, carrots, leeks, onions, lettuce, silverbeet, spinach and some lemon and limes.

Also have parsley, chives and coriander
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
derdsgirl (06-22-2020), knitlove (06-22-2020), Soliloquy (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 07:14 PM   #42
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2boys View Post
Can I chime in from the Southern Hemisphere?
Of course! I just assumed your gardening season was over. But you're probably in peak harvest!
Old 06-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #43
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

My plants are looking great! My kale and collard can start being harvested. Some of the zucchini are starting to grow. And I have lots of blossoms on my tomato plants! I'm excited!!!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #44
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

My sugar snaps peas continue to get larger but not sure Im getting peas out of them.
My spinach seems to be improving and growing despite the heat.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #45
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

We planted late. Like a week ago late. My starts did horribly, out of 36 squares only 5 sprouted and they quickly died. Trying again with direct plantings. We have 2 boxes, one 4’x8’ and one 4’ x 12’. 4 rows of peas have come up missing maybe one or two plants, some lettuce of some sort I think? I forget what I put in. The carrots are starting to sprout at least some, I did 4 regular tomatoes and 8 cherry (2 different ones 4 each) - might have one or two coming up. Chard maybe? Idk. Zucchini isn’t up yet, or onions and I don’t think beans are up yet. Mint is always thriving though - we had to rip a bunch out bc nearly 2/3 the box was mint. Here’s my peas and some of the mint lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrincessAnika For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-28-2020), SewingGreenMama (06-26-2020)