Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Really Hearty Slow Cooker Soups

I need really filling slow cooker soup recipes for ski days. We get home exhausted and HUNGRY. I need to be able to prep the majority of the ingredients the night before and plug in the slow cooker early in the morning.

Any suggestions? I have a recipe for a really hearty pasta fagioli but some of us are getting tired of it. I love potato corn chowder but I haven't found the perfect recipe, yet. They've all been too watery, not thick enough. I prefer whole-food ingredients but I welcome all recipes because I can usually adapt any recipe to whole foods.

Here's the pasta fagioli soup recipe that's really hearty:

2 lbs ground beef, cooked
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 16 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 16 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
30 ounces broth
1 tbsp oregano
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Tabasco
1 20 oz jar spaghetti sauce
8 ounces pasta

Put everything but pasta into slow cooker. High 4 hours or low all day. Add pasta last 10 minutes of cooking (or until al dente). Thin with broth or water, if needed. (Leftovers usually need to be thinned.)

Later this week I'm trying CrockPot Green Chilie Chicken Enchilada Soup

https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/c...da-soup-video/

Last edited by Soliloquy; 01-30-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (01-29-2019), Quiteria (04-30-2019), tempus vernum (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really Hearty Slow Cooker Soups

Now that we found corn-free diced tomatoes, I definitely want to make minestrone again!

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-29-2019), Soliloquy (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
BestLaidPlans
Rose Trellis

What was I… eh, scrap it. I'm taking a nap.

BestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing. Thanks for starting this thread.

5 girls 2 boys
4 of my 7 are teens - now 5 are teens!
5 of my 7 have special needs

“Motherhood is heaven and hell, hard and holy.”
-quote from Rachel Nielson
BestLaidPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BestLaidPlans For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (01-29-2019), Soliloquy (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

We had beef stew tonight from the crock pot. Super easy. Everyone ate it.
2lbs beef cubes
2 quarts beef stock
2 small/medium sized potatoes per person cubed
1 large carrot per person
2 celery stalks
Salt and pepper

I prefer to add half and onion, glove of garlic, mushrooms and peas too but my family wasn’t feeling it today so we skipped it. We did pop some quick biscuits in the oven to have with it.

I also have a very filling white bean soup that makes a lot and can be easily modified to different meats and flavors that’s i make on days Hubs won’t be home. I can look for it.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (04-30-2019), Soliloquy (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I love this soup, but my family doesn't, so I haven't had it in awhile, but I remember it being very filling and satisfying. And I don't see any reason why you couldn't make it in a slow cooker and cook it on low most of the day. I suppose you might need to adjust the liquid for the slow cooker and not use as much.

Charla’s Navy Bean Soup
1 1b navy beans, soaked either overnight or by quick method, drained and rinsed
1TBSP olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 TBSP canned diced jalapeños
6-8 slices of ham, diced
1 qt chicken broth
2 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
Shredded Parmesan cheese to top each serving

Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the chicken broth, water, navy beans, jalapeños and ham and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme and continue to simmer, covered for another hour or more until beans are tender. Check the seasonings. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a recipe because I just throw things in

But a few chicken breasts 2 ish quarts stocks, 2 cans coconut milk
Season with ginger and garlic and before serving fresh lemon juice and green onions
I do like this served with almond flour biscuits. U can make them ahead of time tho, and just warm up quick. Or if u are just dunking them in the soup it doesn't matter.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Not the healthiest cuz no protein or veggies but we serve this with a really nice salad. I can prep everything the night before for salad and soup. But you have to add something for 30 min before serving.

(I also double)

Potato soup
1 bag (32 Oz) frozen potato squares (we found a brand w one ingredient- potatoes)
1/2 c chopped onion
1 stalk celery
32 ounces broth

Cook all day on low or if programmable, start w high and go
To low after 4 hours .

30 min before serving add
1 C milk w 3T flour whisked in
2 C cheddar cheese
Garnish w bacon

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Oh several of these sound amazing

I love soup In the winter

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (04-30-2019), Soliloquy (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

More soups:
  • Crockpot Zuppa Toscana - I add quite a bit more potato to this one to make it heartier.
  • Hamburger Soup - Again I add more potatoes and I think this soup could easily be adapted to a slow cooker
  • Chili - your favorite recipe would easily convert to slow cooker
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (02-01-2019), Soliloquy (01-30-2019), tempus vernum (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind adding things when we get home because it takes time to put all the gear away.

I was thinking that non-soup recipes are welcome, too, but I usually find slow cooker recipes to taste soup-y, even when they're not soup. So I usually use mine strictly for soup. But if someone has a great non-soup recipe that turns out well, I'm interested!
Old 01-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

A post is going to be removed from this thread and I want to keep the recipe from dear Rene.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any allergies? Because I make a fantastic creamy chicken and wild rice soup. You can divide the recipe and make it smaller if needed as mine feeds 10-20 with left overs. I fill my whole crockpot.

12 cups chicken broth
6 cups cream
1 tablespoon each of oregano, basil, thyme, rubbed sage
1.5-2 tsp of salt
Chicken shredded/chunked— whatever you have left over
Carrots to taste
Celery to taste
Onions to taste
Wild rice, already cooked— how ever many cups suit you (I use about 3-4)

Gluten version:

1.5 cups of butter and 2 1/4 cups of flour

Gluten free version— cornstarch

In the gluten version— you make a roux by melting the butter, adding all the spices, then slowly adding flour, then slowly add the cream, then slowly add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Make sure the cream and broth are room temp at least so you don’t curdle the roux.

Then add the rest of the ingredients, dump in the crockpot and let simmer for the day to cook through the carrots and celery and onion. Or can simmer on the stove top.

In the gluten free version you skip the flour part of the recipe simply reserve about 1/2 cup of cream to mix with the cornstarch. You then add that at the very end of cooking to desired thickness.

I typically make my own chicken broth and I do it with mirepoix so I just reserve the mirepoix after it’s cooked and use it in this soup if I want to be able to eat it right away without waiting for the vegetables to have to cook through.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No dietary restrictions and we all love wild rice!

Last edited by Soliloquy; 11-09-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Can I use white rice in that wild rice soup? I think it would still be good Or would that ruin the flavor? Thoughts??

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

We love roast in the crockpot. Its the only way I make it . Especially cuz carrots and potatoes taste beefy

Roast
1 onions
1 celery
carrots peeled and cut into pieces
potatoes either red potatoes or peeled and cut into pieces

salt pepper and garlic

Cook all day on low.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (04-19-2019), Soliloquy (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

This is actually really good:

Plantain Beef Stew

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Tonight I just threw something together that we all loved. I didn't make it in the slow cooker but I'm sure I could. It was super easy because I started with store-bought soup (it was on sale) so it's more of a pantry meal than a slow cooker meal.

Pacific Organic Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, 4 cartons
4 large onions, chopped.
1 whole head of garlic, chopped or minced
olive oil
chicken breast, cooked and diced (optional, you could use any leftover protein)

I sauteed the onions and garlic in olive oil until tender, then added everything else. My kids each ate 2 bowls, even my picky toddler. And they requested this be added to our winter menu rotation.

I served it with homemade rye rolls (75% rye, 25% all-purpose flour). So good on a chilly winter night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (02-02-2019), Quiteria (04-30-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #14
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I recently made a good meatball soup CP recipe. I posted it, I think in Charlas thread? On my phone now but I can look for it if you can't find it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #15
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not a soup but one of my fav crockpot recipes...I just call it Crockpot Chicken.

4 chicken breasts, or breast tenderloins...you could use any chicken meat really.
Can of cream of mushroom
1 cup of water or white wine (I always use water)
1 pack of italian seasoning
8oz cream cheese

Serve over rice, I think you can serve over pasta too.
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (04-30-2019), Soliloquy (02-02-2019)