Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 03-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #16
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laura Ingalls and Whipping (spin off)

Iirc, wasn't Cousin Charlie not only a boy? But a bit older. The expectations would probably be different for both of those cases. Often in farming situations, and homesteading, not obeying and goofing off was serious business. I have friends my age who have been through farm accidents - thankfully no career or life ending ones.

Farmer Boy had lots more corporal punishment. For sure.

I remember when my kids were small, in our previous church, we ran up against some serious old school attitudes about children and their in church behaviour. We flatly told the church that we would not do what had been done to please other church attenders We were warned that threatening our children with pain was the only way to get compliance...and then we asked them how many of THEIR children still attended church Quite a few admitted that their kids had next to no happy memories of being in church

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (03-27-2015), keeper4ever (03-31-2015), Pragmatist (03-25-2015), Quiteria (04-04-2015), rjy9343 (03-25-2015), Zooey (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #17
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh I wish I could remember the book I got at the library once. Pioneer kids. It was written in the 30 ' s but was about pioneer days-meant to teach kids about other kids in pioneer days. That book had so much punitive stuff I couldn't even read it to my kids for the pioneer days aspect. I remember it saying stuff like life was harsh and babies had to buck up quick bc mama didn't have time to coddle and baby would get whipped real quick if they were a bother. I mean granted the author was telling it thru her lense but still it made me feel sick after reading about it
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #18
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

TBH, I don't vividly remember much mention of corporal punishment in the series (and that's having just read it in the last year or so). What sticks out most in my mind is the amount/level of shaming. Constantly. Over and over and over the message it was shameful to cry, even as a young child.

So whatever I do or don't know about the amount/level of whipping, that puts the stories in a punitive, non-gentle parenting framework for me. Very authoritarian, obey-me-immediately-OR-ELSE as Lisa has been saying. Plus I suppose I am just making assumptions (always dangerous, I realize) based on my (admittedly limited) understanding of the times, the way things were back then.

At the same time, I'm sure there *were* other very significant factors, as have been mentioned here: danger of life, how much hard work/free time, life spent *working* alongside parents, lack of entertainment, etc.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (03-27-2015), Zooey (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #19
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I can cone back and reference, but iirc Laura was spanked once, in The Big Woods for slapping Mary.

There is an article that rose wrote that wa published in the sampler that spoke of how laura did not want to spark but she did because she didn't know what else to do. Rose was never spanked for "not being diligent" like some kids were.
I also wonder if Rose was incredibly spirited. I find it hard and I have the tools!

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

I read the incident with the dog and Pa's severity not a pa being angry but that the consequence of releasing the dog would have meant more than likely death for the the family. Definitely for Jack

It was a scary place for the time and I never got why those poor girls were left all alone all day

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (03-27-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #20
Joyanne
Deactivated

Joyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of light

Just finished reading lhop out loud to my son. They weren't left alone. Ma was home, but the girls were outside b/c they felt sorry that Jack had to be tied up and were keeping him company. The Indians came then, and the that is when they thought of releasing jack. I always thought Pa was simply terrified of what could have happened if they had let jack loose. They, being children simply thought that Jack would keep them all safe. They didn't understand the consequences, but Pa did.

In christ, joy
Joyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joyanne For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (03-27-2015), rjy9343 (03-26-2015), Sparrow (03-26-2015), Zooey (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Rose was not only spirited but brilliant. Her memoirs are hilarious and impressive. I especially love the stories from the year she spent in Louisiana getting her high school diploma.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post

TBH, I don't vividly remember much mention of corporal punishment in the series (and that's having just read it in the last year or so). What sticks out most in my mind is the amount/level of shaming. Constantly. Over and over and over the message it was shameful to cry, even as a young child.

So whatever I do or don't know about the amount/level of whipping, that puts the stories in a punitive, non-gentle parenting framework for me. Very authoritarian, obey-me-immediately-OR-ELSE as Lisa has been saying.
. And, tbph, it affects me. After reading it to my kids (I've read the entire series at least 3 times aloud, since I've been a parent) I have to watch my own attitude and expectations.

I read the entire series at least ten times as a child and it didn't affect me in the same way at all. In fact, rereading The Long Winter as an adult was very shocking. As a child, it didn't hit me how close they were to utter starvation.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

I didn't pick up on Caroline's blatant hatred of Indians as a child, either.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (03-26-2015), MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015), schmamy (03-26-2015), ShepherdsWife (03-26-2015), Sparrow (03-27-2015), tazmom (04-03-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

It affects me too
I love the series,they're almost family in my mind.
But yeah,my punitive family members affect me too.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015), ShepherdsWife (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #23
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. When I was a kid I wished I could be Laura. I have no doubt she felt completely loved and we know how much she loved her family.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (03-26-2015), MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015), schmamy (03-26-2015), Sparrow (03-27-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #24
Joyanne
Deactivated

Joyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Rose was not only spirited but brilliant. Her memoirs are hilarious and impressive. I especially love the stories from the year she spent in Louisiana getting her high school diploma.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

. And, tbph, it affects me. After reading it to my kids (I've read the entire series at least 3 times aloud, since I've been a parent) I have to watch my own attitude and expectations.

I read the entire series at least ten times as a child and it didn't affect me in the same way at all. In fact, rereading The Long Winter as an adult was very shocking. As a child, it didn't hit me how close they were to utter starvation.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

I didn't pick up on Caroline's blatant hatred of Indians as a child, either.
You know, as an adult reading them, I saw Caroline's feelings towards the Indians as just flat out sheer terror. She was terrified of being scalped, massacred etc b/c of the stories in the newspapers, told by friends, neighbors, etc.
Joyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joyanne For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (04-02-2015), Llee (03-26-2015), MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015), rjy9343 (03-26-2015), Zooey (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #25
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyanne View Post
You know, as an adult reading them, I saw Caroline's feelings towards the Indians as just flat out sheer terror. She was terrified of being scalped, massacred etc b/c of the stories in the newspapers, told by friends, neighbors, etc.
As a child, I saw that she did not like Indians. But I thought it was not because she hated them as much as it was she was afraid of them. Though I did notice she was very concerned with appearances. She did not like Laura working in the fields because only immigrant girls did that. Nor did she like how rough Laura's hands were because they looked more like a man's than a girls. As an adult, I think it was because she was worried about what kind of husband and life Laura would have because of those things more than she was worried about what people thought.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Joyanne (03-26-2015), MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015), Sparrow (03-27-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #26
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked Farmer Boy. The dad mentioned not hitting animals. I sure wish that had translated to children.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015), Zooey (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #27
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

We don't skip over that part and talk about it with our kids as they have questions. I think it really depended on the culture/part of the country you were living in as to whether there were more or less whippings/spankings than mentioned in the series.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015), rjy9343 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #28
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rose Wilder Lane wad a superb writer, herself, and had great success. Her writing is easily distinguished from her mother's writing. I'd have to see really hard evidence that Rose did anything other than offer constructive criticism to the Little House books. The reason The First Four Years read so differently than the previous books is that, after Manly died, Laura didn't have the heart to finish editing
I agree. When Rose wrote her own stories about the same period, they were completely different in style from Laura's books.

Any how.....I actually wanted to say that Laura gave many interviews to magazines, & on radio, and one of the things she told about, was the fact that she only was spanked once & that was the time in the book. She also said that her mother didn't believe in spanking, & never, not even once did she hit any of the children.
She had never intended to put that one incident in the book, but both her editors & Rose told her that no one would ever believe that she had never been spanked, so she reluctantly put it in. After that, she refused to make up more whippings because she wasn't going to lie about it.

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyanne View Post
This. Caroline's own parents had been quite friendly with the Indians, according to what I have read, but I wonder if there wasn't an untold story
about a scary experience later in her life. She seems to have had a real phobia about Indians. There must have been an explanation somewhere...
I heard a TV interview I heard as a small child, with a former British prime minister, & he said that his American mother (raised in the old West) had gone all the way around the house, inside & out, checking for "hostile Indians", & he would always say, "But, Mother, this is London!" She wouldn't tell the children any stories about Indians at all, but lived in terror till the end of her life. Kind of like Caroline.
Beth1231 (03-27-2015), ECingMama (03-27-2015), Llee (03-27-2015), MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #29
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

It's been so long since I've read it - the life of Laura Ingalls wilder by zochert but I believe after Caroline's father was lost at sea her mother would not have survived the winter without the help of Indians.

I also though she was absolutely terrified of massacre. It was a very real threat when they were (illegally) in Indian territory. And the stories. Maybe much like how some people are afraid of Muslims? There is some blatant racism that doesn't sit well with me.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #30
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

I always got the impression they were very afraid of Indians and not really hated them. Later, Laura seems in other books to almost admire them.
Massacres and stories ran everywhere and they had some good cause to be cautious. Also, the mainstream ignorance and attitude of the day towards non-Christian, non-white people probably effected them even if they were progressive for their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD December 2014
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote