Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need a “command center” ... anyone have one?

Pictures ideas and suggestions open

We have 4 in the house
2 parents who work opposite shifts
1 busy young adult who works and is starting college in the fall
1 teen starting brick and mortar school for The first time, hoping to do sports this fall
And we have an adult child who has our permanent address cuz school and doesn’t live here (needs mail slow and spot for things she forgot or we want to take to her

I’m already overwhelmed by school stuff and all we’ve done is preliminary and start sports practice. I have papers everywhere and frankly little todo slips all over that keep getting lost

The todos are for 2-3 people (teen and a parent usually or both)

I want a place for everyone’s mail and paperwork, a place for a wipe off calendar and a todo list w who is doing what by when

I’m not even sure what slots I need for school. Besides “take to school”

I have an amazing space for this but don’t want it looking messy. I like clean lines and spaces .

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need a “command center” ... anyone have one?

So far my list
5 mail slots
Parents school slot
Kid school slot

Weekly color coded Calendar - whose driving where, appointments and errands
? Cork board

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 08-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my stuff is on the computer, so I just have to keep that organized.

All bills electronic and on auto pay.

All school info is electronic. I am sorry if you are dealing with lots of paper stuff!

If I have paper stuff that I need for reference, but not a hard copy, I scan it and save it electronically.

If I have to keep it, it goes in a filing box that is put away.

Usually everyone wants things scanned and uploaded, so I don't have much stuff that is paper.

I sit in my pretty sitting room and work on a lap top that goes on a bookshelf when I am done.

I deal with mail every day. I throw away most of it. Anything for my adult children, is given to them as soon as possible. I need to set up a better communication system for this.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

I also keep a master family google calendar. I refer to it every day and send out text reminders to people who are responsible for driving.
ECingMama (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I sort of have one but it needs work.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Most of my stuff is on the computer, so I just have to keep that organized.

All bills electronic and on auto pay.

All school info is electronic. I am sorry if you are dealing with lots of paper stuff!

If I have paper stuff that I need for reference, but not a hard copy, I scan it and save it electronically.

If I have to keep it, it goes in a filing box that is put away.

Usually everyone wants things scanned and uploaded, so I don't have much stuff that is paper.

I sit in my pretty sitting room and work on a lap top that goes on a bookshelf when I am done.

I deal with mail every day. I throw away most of it. Anything for my adult children, is given to them as soon as possible. I need to set up a better communication system for this.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

I also keep a master family google calendar. I refer to it every day and send out text reminders to people who are responsible for driving.
Some of these are not working for me anymore cuz I’m getting texts at work confused abt schedule. For example, we all maintain our own calendars which means I can’t assign a driver. Usually we just communicate but the busier we get the more confusing it gets... So I’m going back to paper calendar.

I have a horribly jumbled command center. It’s a train wreck. So I’m starting fresh and have been tossing and making piles

When I give kids Mail the kids set it down and now it’s piling up on my counter.

Some school stuff is paper. lots of sports stuff ironically . And S will have a 504 (medical excuse for absences) so we have to have an “out box” of doctor excuses and other documents . Plus we need to have a bin of excuse slips to just be signed and dated by DH or I to make it faster. . So far my school bins: parent excuses and doctor excuses for absences (I’m considering a wall bin w a folder but don’t know yet about that) , inbox, outbox (aka needs parent intervention or needs to go back to school).

Old 08-07-2021, 05:10 AM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

We have a big whiteboard on the kitchen wall that we use for many of those notes: to do lists, reminders, etc. We use google calendars for the family calendar and events. We don't really have much paperwork going in or out but would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/EASEPRES-Orga...a-827859790744
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #7
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

We r looking at something very similar but wood as well as ones that hang on the wall. I honestly cannot decide but also want it “cute so wonder if wire would switch from formal to cute ... I need a cute color and decor scheme

I realized a calendar issue we have. At 16, S is not even close to driving. Unlike our eldest who was very close in age to middle. So eldest drove middle everywhere. And if I’m being totally honest so much more social too which is why we need a driver schedule. We require S to plan for rides for anything social and we plan the rest. Sooooo half the wall calendar is DH and I working opposite schedules and info about google calendar events being lost in the texts ... I tried using notes on the calendar but instead they text me

Old 08-07-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I sort of have one but it needs work.
I could help w that soon

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (08-13-2021)