Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there anything you make weekly to stay ahead?

I have dropped into super busy mode. It's nuts. Dh is rarely home and awake simultaneously, except for weekends which are three days long for us. But he works nights, so he's all kinds of upside down and it's just .

I am trying to feed us healthy foods. Dh and I both are trying to lose some weight, so I can't go nuts with muffins and pasta salads like I have in the past.

However, I have taken to making some sort of quick bread roughly weekly, for quick kid food when we are headed out. Veggie soup, but they all got tired of it. I'm still doing a big crockpot meal and a big soup every week, but people stop eating it. :grumpfacegoeshere

Dh is a serious carnivore. I couldn't care less about meat,except that I don't life well without lots of protein.

Help?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything you make weekly to stay ahead?

I like to cook up a few pounds of chicken breast, some whole, some shredded, a roast for shredding and a steak for slicing. I keep it in the fridge and then it can be used for whatever. Quick quesadillas, sautéed with vegetables, tossed into soup, salads etc.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I like to cook up a few pounds of chicken breast, some whole, some shredded, a roast for shredding and a steak for slicing. I keep it in the fridge and then it can be used for whatever. Quick quesadillas, sautéed with vegetables, tossed into soup, salads etc.
All I ever do is chicken.

Why has it never occurred to me... My husband is such a carnivore... Oh my gosh.

You have probably just saved me a stupid amount of cash that Dh keep spending on dinners, because he wants meat and I'm feeding him chicken, fish, and beans.
Mother of Sons (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots and lots of blog posts out there with inspiring pictures of a prep ahead session. Something like this: http://backtoherroots.com/2013/03/21...-for-the-week/

I want to do this, but so far have not been too successful. Hardboiled eggs are always a hit with me and DH, and you can make them into egg salad. Big batches of veggies for dinner than I can then add to eggs in the morning. Salad dressing, veggie dips, etc.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Freezing sauces is good. I freeze them in quart or gallon-sized ziplocs. Spaghetti sauce, stroganoff, vegetable curry (either Indian or Thai curry), etc. Then you just have to cook rice or pasta and warm up the sauce.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

hard boiled eggs. Meat loaf either full sized or minis and can be eaten in sandwiches.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Are you interested in crock pot meals? I started a thread on that and got some good ideas. I also just recently purchased a couple e-books ($2 each) with 5 recipes each and a plan for how to prep the meals in an hour. I love the idea of a bag of ingredients that I just throw into the crock pot!
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I make tacos I double the beef and freeze half. That way I have the bulk of a meal I can simply defrost. We have "tacos" (really nachos) almost every week. I buy grated cheese, a bag of tortilla chips, and grate or chop a few veggies and we've got dinner in a few minutes.

Same goes for Asian lettuce wraps. Brown some ground beef/turkey/chicken with ginger, garlic, scallion, finish it with soy sauce and sesame oil, maybe a little black bean sauce or sambal oelek (for spice) wrap up with veggies (carrots, celery, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, whatever!) in a lettuce leaf and eat. Either meal can be rounded out with rice if you want it.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

I have intentions of making a big batch of muffins so that my big girls can take them in their lunches and my 4 year old who is in daycare can take them in the car for breakfast (the big girls get free breakfast at school).

Dh always says he wants to smoke meat on the weekend for the week-a whole chicken, brisket etc...but that hasn't happened yet-maybe this weekend.
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victorious For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Anne Ofalamo
Rose Blossom

~never lose your joy

Anne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of light

I love a big pork roast. Braise it in frying pan and then pop in crock pot. I shred the pork. I separate into three bags. First day, we have with soft taco shells, and beans (made in other pot). Next day, the meat has shredded potatos added, and the beans too. Pan fried burritos with green enchilada sauce.
The next day BBQ sauce is added, for BBQ pork sands with potato salad or coleslaw.
I usually have enough each night for a lunch for my carnivorous husband.

I do the same with chicken too...shred like a mad woman! lol

If there is any left, toss into a pot and add water and make a thick soup!
Anne Ofalamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anne Ofalamo For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

I cook ground beef 5-6 lbs at a time. That makes for several meals you can do relatively easily/quickly, especially tacos.

Big ol' Boston butt with a BBQ rub (for regular pulled pork) or a Mexican rub (for carnitas) makes bags and bags of extra for the freezer.

Pioneer Woman's Italian drip beef is phenomenal; a good-sized roast makes plenty extra for the freezer. If you freeze meat flat, spread out in a quart or gallon Ziploc bag that's not filled too full, it breaks apart and thaws quickly.

Meatballs? Those freeze well.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-27-2015)