Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: August Main Meals

Tacos, mexican rice, refried black beans, stuffed jalapenos
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #17
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Sauteed chicken and pan-fried potatoes with green beans, Mexican seasoned

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Tonight we had grilled salmon, grilled zucchini (my garden is providing an over abundance so it's pretty much on the menu every day ), steamed carrots, and spinach salad.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
We had zucchini pizza last night - another summer fave. The crust is 3 c of shredded zucchini, a cup of whole wheat flour, two beaten eggs and a little salt + whatever seasoning you want. Spread that out on a stone (a very well cornmeal-ed stone...or maybe a silpat would work better, I haven't tried, but it tends to stick terribly) and bake at 450 (or is it 425? I'll double check if anyone cares) for about 20 minutes. Take out and top with mozzarella, green onions, and lots of sliced tomatoes, plus oregano, basil and garlic powder.
Given my over abundance of zucchini, I think I will try this. It sounds good.

I have a pizza stone that I have never used. I'm not even sure how to use it... It says it needs to be pre heated? So do you leave it in the oven while the oven pre-heats then remove it to put the crust on? Or something else?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 AM   #19
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Tonight we had grilled salmon, grilled zucchini (my garden is providing an over abundance so it's pretty much on the menu every day ), steamed carrots, and spinach salad.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Given my over abundance of zucchini, I think I will try this. It sounds good.

I have a pizza stone that I have never used. I'm not even sure how to use it... It says it needs to be pre heated? So do you leave it in the oven while the oven pre-heats then remove it to put the crust on? Or something else?
I leave my stone in the oven 95% of the time. When I'm baking in a square or 13x9 pan, I can just set it on top of the stone. The only time I take the stone out is when I'm using cookie sheets or larger roasting pans that don't fit between the metal handles that go around the stone.

So, yes - I preheat the oven with the stone in there, then take it out and sprinkle cornmeal all over it and spread the crust out on it while it's hot.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #20
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Ran errands and we were supposed to go swimming after so I picked up quick and easy - frozen grilled chicken, microwave fries and tater tots, and fresh veggies we had in the fridge with bleu cheese and/or homemade honey mustard to dip. Got home and found out the pool is closed today for some reason

DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
Old 08-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #21
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're doing loaded baked potatoes tonight. I bought potatoes for a soup I made last week and I just recently had to throw out several potatoes I'd not used before they went bad, so I don't want that to happen again.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
Old 08-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #22
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Creamy Swiss chicken bake, rice, sauteed zucchini, spinach salad with lemon vinaigrette

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 08-09-2015, 04:00 AM   #23
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

It's still winter here in Australia so we had slow cooked beef with sticky soy sauce on rice.
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:09 AM   #24
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

This is my dinner last night: grilled red curry chicken breast, grilled zucchini slices, sauteed veggies (garlic, onion, beets, carrots, cabbage)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
charla (08-09-2015), LilacPhoenix (08-09-2015), squiddles (08-10-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #25
charla
Administrator

We had chicken noodle soup (with hidden zucchini ), Greek salad, bread last night and we will have leftovers today.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 08-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #26
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

We had pho soup.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #27
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

Frozen grilled chicken, jarred spaghetti sauce, canned mushrooms, chopped English muffins, shredded Italian blend cheese, and olive oil, all mixed together. Our AC is barely working so I needed something I could just heat in the microwave!

DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

Old 08-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #28
2sunshines

I almost think of it as a game to see how much I can hide in my children's food.

Today we had chili served over brown rice.

What they don't know is that in addition to the expected ingredients in chili, I also included shredded zucchini, chia seeds, and ground flaxseed.

I cooked the brown rice in my homemade beef broth so an extra boost of nutrition there too.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #29
schmamy
Rose Garden

My boy is EIGHT today! and requested (to my surprise) chicken enchiladas for his birthday dinner. They are the most giant pain in the neck but worth it. Secret ingredient that makes all the difference: cinnamon.

Also black bean ragout, rice, and cilantro-lime slaw. And birthday cake of course...that is another story Tried making a vanilla bean cake yesterday and it FLOPPED. Cut it into chunks and stuck them in the freezer to make a trifle for next Sunday's potluck--I think they will taste OK in that, just not a good regular cake. Had to start over, made an Italian cream cake. Much better (at least in looks)...though I'm hoping DS doesn't notice the finely shredded coconut
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #30
schmamy
Rose Garden

I wanted to make grilled chicken and scalloped tomatoes tonight...but I don't have enough tomatoes...because I couldn't get more at the farmers' market on Saturday...because it was closed due to a stoopid baby beauty pageant

So the chicken is thawed and I have to use it...but I don't know what I want to do with it. Can still grill it, and just make other sides, but I need some kind of amazing marinade. Gosh I wish we could do the scalloped tomatoes, we haven't yet this summer and it is SO GOOD.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017