Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #196
magpiemind
Seedling Rose

magpiemind has a spectacular aura aboutmagpiemind has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: s/o parenting self-talk

These are great - I hope I can remember them when the time comes! I just want to print the whole thread and stick it up on the nursery wall.
magpiemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #197
APMedicMommy

Wow. I so need this. Not that I'm looking forward to getting upset again, but I can't wait to try it
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #198
arwen_tiw

I need to know where to find this thread, too.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #199
Rugayatu
Climbing Rose

Rugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond repute

I just read through this entire thread and want to thank everyone who contributed so much! Just starting out on some re-parenting of myself and this thread has been so helpful!
mama to sweet and spunky DD ~ 9/2/09
squishy and serene DS ~ 1/12/14
and my angel baby ~ 1/8/2008

"The work we do is only our love for Jesus in action."
~Mother Theresa
Rugayatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #200
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I usually just chant "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus help, Jesus..." then berate myself when the situation is over that I handled it badly....I definitely need to GBD myself.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #201
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberrybabies View Post
I sooo understand this, as we have this exact scenerio with my 4yo. Reading your description, and thinking back to times I've had to deal with this, I can break the anger down into:
fear/panic that the poop will get everywhere/he'll eat it

frustration that I just want to get him cleaned off thoroughly so it won't make him more sore, and he won't let me and I can't get him to understand that

I will say that at this point, the arching and clamping really only happens when he's having loose poop and his bottom is sore. Away from the situation, I have the perspective to realize that his bottom really hurts and the wiping makes it worse and he's really just trying to protect himself. I keep not actually doing this myself but I think the best thing here would be to try changing standing up in the tub. That way the mess is contained to an easily cleaned place, and you could spray him off if you have a handheld shower, or pour water with a cup, both of which would be less painful than wiping.
This is what I do if M is refusing to cooperate with a change and I'm starting to see red. I lay a towel over the side of the tub (for him to lean against) because our tub is enameled cast iron and COLD, turn on warm water and spray him down really good (we have a LONG hose that I also use to spray down diapers). when I'm done I put a fresh diaper on him give him to dh or put him somewhere safe and clean the tub (cleaning is my go to for getting my anger out) yammering at myself to get a grip and realize that he is simply just learning to be mobile and doesn't want to stop no matter how bloody his bottom gets if I wait more then a few minutes to change him!

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #202
bec28
Rose Garden

bec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond repute

I so needed this thread! Ty! Now to only remember it when I need it.
staying at home and loving it! learning to be a more grace filled, gentle mama
bec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #203
jewelmcjem
Deactivated

I knew u were trouble when u walked in . . . Tribble, Tribble, Tribble

jewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond repute

A thanked post brought me back to this thread . . . we're ever so much bettah, but it's still a journey.
jewelmcjem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jewelmcjem For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (01-18-2013), mokamoto (07-18-2012), Tasmanian Saint (07-17-2012)
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #204
Luciola
Rose Trellis

iNFp Type 2/1

Luciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond repute

Just discovered this thread...subbing so I don't lose it as I begin to read through
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #205
Keeper-of-Mr.Monks
Rose Bouquet

Keeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to behold

Mommy to Price 3/2010 T3
Mommy to Weston 12/12/2012 T1
Also keeper of 2 dogs & 1 cat
Keeper-of-Mr.Monks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #206
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

:sub
Posted via Mobile Device
mommychem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #207
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

I needed this thread. I'm generally scared of posting on super long threads, but I'm going to do it!!

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #208
Barefoot
Climbing Rose

Now I'm standing here, my heart so full I can't explain.

Barefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant future

Subbing too.

TTC a second child since 2011
Giving up, with peace granted by God.
(Trying IVF one more time - I got an inheritance )
It worked!!! But then failed

~

~ Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!" ~
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #209
milkdud
Rose Trellis

milkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond repute

Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
milkdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #210
mokamoto
Climbing Rose

Mama to two little sweetpeas and loving wife to my Darling tech buff

mokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbwifemama View Post
I'm in. I tend to berate myself when I'm upset (maybe that's what my parents did... I know I saw my dad get mad at dd for losing her temper last time we were there. ) I think GBDing myself would work a lot better, and then whatever I play in my head is a lot more likely to come out of my mouth when I'm parenting dd.

I used to get upset at her for accidents- spilling things- because I do that to myself. I've learned to be a lot gentler with us both. No point in blaming an accident on her. It's just an accident.
I had a lightbulb moment yesterday- I am impatient and tough on my kids when I'm feeling like I did something poorly or I'm thinking about an interaction that didn't go as I liked. If I start with giving myself grace, acknowledging my feelings and parenting myself, I'll parent them better as well. I've always been one to internalize criticisms and worries and repeat them endlessly. I can be really hard on myself.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mokamoto For This Useful Post:
allisonintx (01-23-2013), bentlaj11 (01-24-2013), DancingWithElves (02-04-2013), Maggirayne (10-21-2013), marigold (01-24-2013), Tasmanian Saint (01-26-2013)