Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time for a new vehicle!

You all know I can't make a big decision (or most any decision) by myself.

I have slowly been working on picking what I want, hoping to replace my van near the end of the year. BUT, my 2007 Odyssey overheated last night and we had it towed the 2 miles to the mechanic. This morning mechanic told me it was the radiator and thermostat...about $550. We said do it. They replaced radiator and discovered it is more. Possibly electrical, having to do with the control panel, might need to take it to the Honda dealer. We will most likely not do that.

I test drove a 2020 Odyssey today and a 2016 Chevrolet Traverse (only one they had). I like both. Need to drive a newer Traverse to compare. It has a new body style.

I want 2017 or newer. Haven't completely ruled out brand new, but most likely want 2-3 years old.

I need to sit 6-7 people. We have never used the 8th seat in my van, almost did last year but didn't need to.

I really really like my van, pretty much the only reason I am looking at the Traverse is I would like a bit higher ground clearance. Last year I pulled my bumper half off on one of those concrete parking bars. And 5 or so years ago pulled off the plastic under carriage cover on a concrete parking bar at Chick-fil-a.

My kids are college, rising 10th,8th and 2nd grader. And a 12 month as my main babysitting child.

The Traverse has pretty good storage room behind the 3rd row, not as much as Odyssey but good as SUV's go.

What else to think about?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:23 AM   #2
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for a new vehicle!

We just got a Toyota Highlander in December. We are liking it so far. Ours can seat 8, but many are 7 passenger models. Everyone we have heard who has one really likes them.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I would look at Traverse reviews specifically looking at reliability. I have a friend that keeps replacing her GMC Acadia (same car) because of all sorts of crazy issues. I don't understand why she keeps getting the same car! I get that they are roomy and exactly what she wants but she's been stranded so many times and out so much money!

Dh and I have owned chevy, gmc and chrysler cars for 20 years and this year we finally had enough with all the repairs and replaced with Toyotas. Chevrolet is especially known for mystery electrical problems in their cars for the last 15 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciousmomma View Post
We just got a Toyota Highlander in December. We are liking it so far. Ours can seat 8, but many are 7 passenger models. Everyone we have heard who has one really likes them.
We got a 2016 Highlander that seats 8 and I love it. The only thing that was an issue was I had a weird blind spot but I corrected it by sitting on a cushion. I'm really short!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
kiloyd (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #4
amommy23
Rosebud

amommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really nice

My mom had a traverse and found it hard to park. She wasn’t sure if there was some issue in the power steering of hers or if it’s just that traverses are hard to park (She ended up trading in for something smaller). If you test drive a new one, you might want to pull into a parking lot and try parking a few times to see how that goes.
I drive a basic Town and Country which is fine and gets us where we need to go, but borrowed my in-laws’ newer Honda Odyssey (2 or 3 years old) in December to drive through Christmas lights because we needed the 8th seat. It drove like a dream and a couple of the features like the blind spot alert were pretty neat.
amommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amommy23 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

My parents have an Equinox and really like it. My dad slightly wishes they got a Traverse that is a little bit roomier.

There is not good visibility out the back window. But I have been driving an Odyssey for 13 years!

I think I am leaning toward the Traverse mostly for more ground clearance. Need to go drive a newer one thought to compare.

ETA: my dad told me something helpful. When he got a new truck he first thought to himself "I really liked my old truck". I will TOTALLY cry and miss my van no matter what I get!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 06-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Given your kids ages, I'd look at Enterprise Car sales for a newwr, used van. Whe had ours 5 years. No issues.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
kiloyd
Rose Garden

So...I have a Traverse for over night. I gave it the grocery store test tonight and it passed. My kids all want me to get the Traverse.

I think I want to drive an Odyssey again to compare.

They both drive nice!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
knitlove (06-12-2020), Llee (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 05:41 AM   #8
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

We got a 2016 Traverse last summer replacing a T & C. Ours is 8 passenger. I’ve sat in all 3 rows and found the ride comfortable. I have a kid on a permit, so I have spent a lot of time in the 2nd row. You can’t go wrong with either choice (my sister has an Odyssey).
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-14-2020), kiloyd (06-14-2020), Llee (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipennsn View Post
We got a 2016 Traverse last summer replacing a T & C. Ours is 8 passenger. I’ve sat in all 3 rows and found the ride comfortable. I have a kid on a permit, so I have spent a lot of time in the 2nd row. You can’t go wrong with either choice (my sister has an Odyssey).

I think I have decided Traverse. A 7 passenger.

now....deciding on cloth or leather. I prefer cloth but limited choices in bucket 2nd row and cloth. considering I could get a seat cover for the driver seat. But I'm not crazy about leather for car seats, even though I am almost done with car seats
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I had leather seats in Texas in collage, it was horrible because they would get so hot. I kept burning my leggs whenever I wore a skirt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I had leather seats in Texas in collage, it was horrible because they would get so hot. I kept burning my leggs whenever I wore a skirt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
We live in SC! And I do use a reflective visor.

DH says get what I want, the money saver in me says get 1-2 years old with leather and buy seat covers for at least the front seats.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 06-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go for the leather so I could have bun (seat) warmers.

But I live in New England.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I adore leather for clean-up abilities and seat-warmer abilities.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-14-2020), graciousmomma (06-14-2020), ViolaMum (06-14-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 04:06 AM   #14
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Cloth can also have seat heaters.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-15-2020), ViolaMum (06-15-2020), Virginia (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 04:44 AM   #15
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipennsn View Post
Cloth can also have seat heaters.

Yup! Mine does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-15-2020), ViolaMum (06-15-2020)