Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes?

The only 'meat' DH and I cook with is poultry and seafood and we cook vegetarian 80% of the time. We have a crockpot and have only used it a few times in our 2 years of marriage. We just can't find recipes that we like! We don't enjoy typical 'american' style food (like meat and potatoes, carrots and celery type of taste) which is what most crock pot recipes tend to be.

Any suggestions/recipes for crock pot meals that are vegetarian or use a different set of flavors? (ethnic cuisine like mediterranean, latino and asian are what we mostly cook). Thanks in advance!
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes?

Do you still eat cheese and other dairy products? If so, I've tried some pretty yummy latino and mediterranean recipes that are either vegetarian or could easily be made so...

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, we do a lot of different cheeses and stuff like that. I'd love to hear the recipes, thanks!
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

ooo, yummy, bring them on, punkie!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
ServingGod
Rose Garden

photographer. writer. goat cheese addict. wanderlust driven. cleveland native. seeker of beauty. bibliophile.

ServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/crockpot/crockpot.shtml

INTJ

Rockstars, Heels and Canes A wife's observations on her husband, Multiple Sclerosis, and some super fun things.
ServingGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
boonpnutsmom
Deactivated

boonpnutsmom will become famous soon enough

I make a mean spicy tomato soup in a crock pot. Its very simple to make and it is great on chilly days.

Either fresh or canned chopped tomatos, one full round onion, garlic, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, celery, carrots, mushrooms, potato as a thickener (i mash it) ginger, cumin, tomato sauce or paste or soup, vegtable stock, and did I mention TOMATOES??? the more the better. Any other vegetables that you like can be added also, there are only a few that didn't mesh well so far I have found okra, and bittermelon. I never make it the same way so it never tastes the same.
boonpnutsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
julbug
Climbing Rose

julbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud of

I make a rice and lentil soup in mine. Sorry I don't know any amounts, I rarely measure and usually throw in things that I have on hand that sound good to me.

Basically I start with rice, lentils and vegetable both and from there put in whatever: onion, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, etc.

wife to an amazing man

happy mama to

10 yo DS "When can we fight bad guys on an island?"

8 yo DS "I just love being human!"

2 yo DS, born in water, into mama's hands

BFF and SIL to happyhippimama
julbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I got a great book from the library. But, it was Christmas and I didn't get around to using it. The recipes are vegan, too. No cream of yucky soup.

Fresh from the vegetarian slow cooker : 200 recipes for healthy and hearty one-pot meals that are ready when you are
Robertson, Robin

I use the crockpot when I'm going to be out. Spaghetti Sauce and Chili is what we use ours for. You can wrap potatoes in foil and put them in there to cook all day, too.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
MySeoulChild

Oooh - I just used mine last night.

Here is what the recipe called for:

1 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3TBSP olive oil
2 tsp cumin

Sautee above ingredients, then add:

3TBSP flour

Cook another 2-3 minutes, then add:

1 small can of green chiles and 1/2 of an aseptic pack of vegetable broth (we really love Pacific in the brownish colored container)
Simmer a few minutes until thick (it will look gloppy at first, but it smooths out)

Drain and rinse 4 cans of navy beans and place in the crockpot. Add a can of mexican style tomatoes (we like Red Gold petite diced mexican).
Add the rest of the vegetable broth, then the mixture from the skillet. I also like to puree a couple cups of the beans and add it back to the soup to thicken it up, but this part isn't necessary.

We let it simmer for 4 hours on high and it was sooooo good
Topped with tortilla strips and a tablespoon of Better Than Sour Cream. : ) Yum!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

oooh, keep the recipes coming! Awhile back I posted that I REALLY needed vegan/vegetarian crock-pot recipes, but didn't get that many responses. Maybe I need to be more specific...can anyone give me recipes to use lentils, split peas, ALL kinds of beans, rice...(that's about all that's in the cupboard right now! :P) Oh, andwhat kind of vegetable broth do you use? (Sorry, I just kinda jumped in on your thread)
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:06 PM   #11
julbug
Climbing Rose

julbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud of

I had to run to my pantry and get it. It's Imagine Organic Vegetable Cooking Stock, ok so it's stock not broth, but I've used either one in the past.

Ok went to look in the pantry again, I also have Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth, so like I said, either/or. I just try to have some on hand for those last minute "Oh my goodness, what's for dinner?" moments and the "I'm being really good by planning ahead" moments when I start a meal in the morning in the crockpot and don't have to think about it again until dinnertime.

wife to an amazing man

happy mama to

10 yo DS "When can we fight bad guys on an island?"

8 yo DS "I just love being human!"

2 yo DS, born in water, into mama's hands

BFF and SIL to happyhippimama
julbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #12
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Serving God..I didn't notice it before, but the picture of your little girl is so sweet. I love the bonnet. Did you make it and the dress?

Heather

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:46 AM   #13
ServingGod
Rose Garden

photographer. writer. goat cheese addict. wanderlust driven. cleveland native. seeker of beauty. bibliophile.

ServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond reputeServingGod has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Actually its her baptism outfit...her godmother bought it. Last month all of my children were baptized. I love all the photos of her wearing it.

INTJ

Rockstars, Heels and Canes A wife's observations on her husband, Multiple Sclerosis, and some super fun things.
ServingGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:08 PM   #14
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to post the recipes, but I'm away from home this week and don't have access to my cookbooks I just didn't want you to think that I forgot :P

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #15
MySeoulChild

oh, heck - dried beans can *always* be cooked in the crockpot.
You can always just cook a big batch of beans all day and then freeze them in individual servings for use in soups, salads, all kinds of dishes!
Pretty much just water and beans on high all day