Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

PDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you make kefir?

I see that some of you ladies have made it! How? Is it hard? Recipes? Also, anyone know of a DF kefir recipe that I could give to my DF/GF kiddo?

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

PDX Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you make kefir?

Kefir is really easy to maintain as long as you can commit to taking care of it. You'll need to get kefir grains. Are you wanting basic kefir made with milk for you and water kefir for your kids or just water kefir? Water kefir is a different process involving a sweetener and dried fruit. I didn't keep mine up for very long because I was the only one in the family who like it. I've had my dairy kefir for a couple of years now. If you want help with dairy kefir I can help but I'll let someone else chime in on the water kefir. This is an awesome website with tons of information. Don't let all the techniques and tips intimidate you though---it really is a very simple and forgiving process.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
PDX Mommy (01-11-2012), Soliloquy (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Kombucha is similar to water kefir, you might like that, too.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
PDX Mommy (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

you can use milk kefir grains to make coconut milk or rice milk kefir too. i tried the water kefir, but no one here really likes it either unless i mix it with juice or something and then i figure what is the point so we do kombucha here and milk kefir.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

PDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Are the kefir grains GF? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
GraemesMomma
Deactivated

GraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Mommy View Post
Are the kefir grains GF? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Not dumb

Yes. They aren't a "grain". They look like grains But just a symbiotic group of friendly yeasts and bacteria that make a yogurt-like ferment. Are your kiddos casein AND lactose free?

I have both. If you want to try water kefir, I'd be happy to send you some grains. That's how I got mine. They multiply like crazy!

I got my dairy kefir grains from Cultures For Health.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Easier than making yogurt, at least,the dairy version. You just pour milk on and leave it on the counter for 24 hours (for lactose-free). No heating or keeping it at a certain temp.

Last edited by GraemesMomma; 01-11-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: My dumb-smart phone lol!
GraemesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GraemesMomma For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (01-11-2012), PDX Mommy (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemesMomma View Post
Not dumb

Yes. They aren't a "grain". They look like grains But just a symbiotic group of friendly yeasts and bacteria that make a yogurt-like ferment. Are your kiddos casein AND lactose free?

I have both. If you want to try water kefir, I'd be happy to send you some grains. That's how I got mine. They multiply like crazy!

I got my dairy kefir grains from Cultures For Health.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Easier than making yogurt, at least,the dairy version. You just pour milk on and leave it on the counter for 24 hours (for lactose-free). No heating or keeping it at a certain temp.
Evan is dairy-free (so we avoid whey, casein, and lactose from milk), so I think water kefir would be best. I would love for you to send me some!

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

The Following User Says Thank You to PDX Mommy For This Useful Post:
GraemesMomma (01-12-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

Bumping because I have a question: is there a problem with using metal with kefir? I am going to need to strain it but haven't found a suitable strainer yet. I have a metal mesh strainer. Is that a no no? I don't want to kill my kefir!

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

100% fine. I've been using metal spoons and sieves for years.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
GraemesMomma (01-26-2012), PaperMomma (04-07-2012), PDX Mommy (01-25-2012), ReedleBeetle (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

YES! One less piece of kitchen equipment for me to store! Thank you!

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you just don't want to store it in metal because of the acidity potentially etching the metal surface and/or liberating those compounds into your food. That takes a fair bit of time though. Brief contact like with a spoon or strainer is no biggie. I also use a metal sieve to strain mine (and have for years).
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iarwain For This Useful Post:
GraemesMomma (01-26-2012), PDX Mommy (01-25-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #12
Mommainrwanda
Rose Trellis

New country - same username

Mommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond repute

I find my water kefir to be pretty easy although I just got milk kefir grains for Christmas and they are UNBELIEVABLY easy.

I have found that, with water kefir, I need to add a little bit of honey to the second ferment if I want it to get fizzy. Maybe I'm not using enough juice?

Anyway, just made a batch of "root beer" today by adding some honey and 1/2 t. root beer extract to my second ferment.

The Urchin loves kefir too. I love being able to give her "juice" without having a lot of suger.

-Showing grace
-Undercommitting
-Believing in the restoration of all things

The Urchin is capriciously 3
The Chiton is
an introvert not an introvert, just T4 baby

Adventure blog: Delving for a Rhapsody
Mommainrwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mommainrwanda For This Useful Post:
PDX Mommy (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is timely for me! I just got milk kefir grains on Sunday, and am learning about it We're going to be trying our first batch in a smoothie in a few minutes

We used raw milk, so the cream was at the top. When the batch was done, the top was very thick and yucky looking.....I took it off, but am wondering if it would stir back in w/o being chunky? I'm sure it's find to eat, I just didn't want to

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
We used raw milk, so the cream was at the top. When the batch was done, the top was very thick and yucky looking.....I took it off, but am wondering if it would stir back in w/o being chunky?
We've stirred it back in and it hasn't bothered us but I usually use my kefir in smoothie so that make a difference. Sometimes I make a cream-only kefir ferment to use for butter. It always has that weird look but once I take out the grains its nice and smooth. It looks yucky but at least in my experience it's thick but not chunky.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
Sundance (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #15
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

I have another question, I hope you don't mind me asking questions, too, OP!

So, I just went to make the smoothie, and both kids asked to have some in a glass.....and it was SICK tasting. I smelled it, but did not let them know that *I* thought it was gross....but their reaction was pretty clear that they thought it was gross, too.

That was my second batch with my grains (it was a pint). The friend I got them from said they'd been in her fridge for a while, and it might take a few batches to get them going again....

....is it normal for it to be sick (like I spit out the mouthful I tried and rinsed my mouh out, that's how gross it was) like that, or would it just be slightly off??

I'm getting discouraged

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote