Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #31
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you eating in October?

Now I want baked potato soup.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #32
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing baked potato soup this weekend. But for tonight I have swiss steak in the crockpot and will serve it with cheddar grits and green beans.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #33
Vipers_Princess
Rose Garden

Vipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
Baked potato soup?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Ooh that sounds delicious.

Lovely Indiana weather. Was 33 when we woke up Sunday morning, today it was 43 and tomorrow's wake up temp is supposed to be 63. Highs in the 50s, 70s and 80s respectively. So all the stews soups and chilis go back on the later list for a few days and chicken gets cooked in the crock and IP for salads, tacos, and sandwiches.

Oh & apparently I'm an INTP
Vipers_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vipers_Princess For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #34
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers_Princess View Post
Lovely Indiana weather.
I bring a jacket to work in the morning, then don't wear it home. Now I have two jackets at work today. I have done this before.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #35
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I think I may turn some of the baked potatoes into mashed potatoes. Ds and sh can eat it with some chicken sausage I bought (he can make that himself). What goes well with mashed potatoes for the vegetarian?
My people tend to get a little grumpy with too many leftover potatoes but thinking maybe I could do something fun with them (I do sometimes make "garage potatoes" - basically fry them up with onions and beans or whatever, sometimes a fried egg on top and those are popular. But just trying to branch out a little).
Shepherd's pie made with lentils and veggies instead of meat

Duchesse potatoes - add an egg to mashed potatoes and you can pipe them back in to the skins and they'll hold their shape

Not mashed, but good - Hasselback Potatoes

We are having Buffalo cheesy chicken from the crock pot with lots of veggie toppings and steamed broccoli.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #36
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
Shepherd's pie made with lentils and veggies instead of meat

Duchesse potatoes - add an egg to mashed potatoes and you can pipe them back in to the skins and they'll hold their shape

Not mashed, but good - Hasselback Potatoes
She ended up having the mashed potatoes as her dish with just some veggies on the side.

Ill have to look into Duchesse potatoes.

Your link didn't take me to a recipe but I think I can google hasselback potatoes probably.

eta: Im definitely going to make Hasselback potatoes for my next potato dish. I was thinking I could do chives and parm cheese.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16

Last edited by twoplustwo; 10-06-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #37
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry! The link was supposed to go to a list of recipes for hasselback potatoes - there's the original, then loads of variations with cheeses and even sweet potatoes. (A quick tip - if you hold the potatoes with one hand with chopsticks while cutting, you can use the chopsticks as a guide so that you do't cut all the way through. Don't know if that's in any of these recipes.)

Ree's version is the original basic: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...tatoes-3190731

This one is cheesy: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...tatoes-3643145

This is with sweet potatoes: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...tatoes-3757870

Duchess potatoes are more of a technique - I use them for twice-baked potatoes. (I don't think I've ever made the rosettes!) If you make Shepherd's pie ahead of time and freeze it, using duchess potatoes for the topping ensures that it freezes well.

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!

Last edited by ViolaMum; 10-06-2020 at 05:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (10-06-2020), twoplustwo (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #38
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I decided on baked apple pancakes with sausage on the side. Nobody wanted to stand at the stove and cook individual pancakes.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 10-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #39
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

We did baked potato soup for dinner.

I was really really happy with it. The best I have made dairy free.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (10-07-2020), twoplustwo (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #40
twoplustwo

Tonight is hamburgers and veggies burgers with grilled brussel sprouts on the side. I may make more mashed potatoes with the remaining potatoes. Dd and ds ate almost the whole batch. Ds had some for dinner and then another pile as a "snack" with more chicken sausage after soccer.

Do mashed potatoes freeze well? I'm always looking for non-convenience freezer foods foods for my ravenous monster ds. And potatoes are so cheap. And making the mashed potatoes with already baked was super quick and easy (never did it that way before).
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #41
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Roasted chicken and vegetables - acorn squash, kale, whatever I have in the crisper!

Old 10-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #42
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
Roasted chicken and vegetables - acorn squash, kale, whatever I have in the crisper!
This is what I have planed for tonight almost exsactly.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #43
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Eggroll in a bowl with zucchini and rice
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
knitlove (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #44
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

I have cabbage left from Sunday.

Tonight is chicken teriyaki style, probably. With rice.

Tomorrow we are out ALL afternoon. Might have to pack dinner.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 10-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #45
knitlove
Rose Garden

You could do stir fried cabbage instead of the rice if you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (10-07-2020)