Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Freezer to Crockpot Meals

What are your favorite freezer meals that can be cooked in the crockpot? I need some yummy ideas for ballet lesson nights, so full meals would be really helpful. I have three crockpots so I can even make three separate things at one time (main dish and sides)! We are gluten free and egg free.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freezer to Crockpot Meals

I am the queen of GF freezer meals! Self-proclaimed, of course

Coconut Chickpea Curry
Italian Beef
Plantain beef stew
Pork Carnitas
Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
Shredded Mexican Beef
Southwestern Pulled Chicken with Slaw
Spicy shredded pork
Taco soup
Thai Basil Chicken

Tomatillo beef
Vegetarian Chili
White bean chili

Many of these require rice or GF noodles with them or throw it in tacos. The soups and chili stand alone.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

I should have said many of these do not appear to be crockpot/freezer meals, but they all can be. Dump and go, truly. Those with beans, I pre-soak and then freeze. No need to pre-soak lentils.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (09-07-2018), Quiteria (01-16-2019), RiverRock (09-07-2018), tempus vernum (09-09-2018), Virginia (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Love the recipes! I have a ton of questions. I hope you don't mind, dear queen of GF freezer meals.

So how do you freeze the larger cuts of meat? Do you season the meat and then add the rest of the ingredients to the bag and then freeze? Do you cook any of it before putting it in to the freezer bags? Do you take it out of the freezer the day before to thaw in the fridge?

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

No cooking ahead. I generally don't remember to pre-thaw, but that's a good skill to have You don't have to "season the meat" per se - just throw it all in the bag and freeze! For SW chicken and Thai Basil, I freeze as whole breasts (or actually I think both recipes originally call for thighs, but breast work fine), and then shred once cooked. I use pork mini roasts usually and not pork butt/shoulder because I prefer it leaner. I freeze them and beef roasts whole.

The way I do the recipes, I use 2 lbs of meat. So I cut spices/chopped stuff accordingly.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (09-08-2018), Singingmom (09-12-2018), tempus vernum (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been focusing more on the crockpot this summer.

My 3 favorites

bbq chicken
(Frozen chicken breasts and bbq sauce), serve w gf toast or rice and a veg . I recently got the idea of adding it to salad for bbq chicken salad

Chx tacos
(Frozen chicken breasts w taco seasoning and salsa (just toss in however much you would like) serve as tacos or on rice

Company chx
(2.5 # Frozen chicken breasts, a stick of butter, 2 packages cream cheese, two
Boxes GF cr of mush soup, Italian seasonings), serve w noodles or rice or quinoa

I’ve done them with or without freezing .

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 09-09-2018 at 08:03 PM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
charla (09-09-2018), Singingmom (09-12-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I need to come back and look at bananacake's links

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I need to come back and look at bananacake's links

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I've only looked at half of them, but they look good!
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I'm not at work -- Here are ones on the top my list to try (let me know if you try them )

Sesame chicken https://showmetheyummy.com/crockpot-...hicken-recipe/
Beef Stroganoff https://www.recipegirl.com/lightened...ef-stroganoff/
Hearty Western Casserole https://www.sidetrackedsarah.com/hea...-freezer-meal/
Slow Cooker Asian Beef https://momtomomnutrition.com/food-a...ker-asian-beef

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
charla (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
gabriola
Rose Bouquet

gabriola will become famous soon enoughgabriola will become famous soon enough

I just made a pulled pork recipe that I am sure could be prepped, thrown in a bag and frozen to be made later in the crockpot. I use trimmed pork tenderloin, season with garlic, pepper and whatever other dry seasonings are appealing, a few glugs or Worcestershire sauce, and not quite a full bottle of BBQ sauce (maybe 300 mls or so), lots of onion cut up....at least one large onion for 2 pork tenderloins. I think it would freeze well in a large bag but I usually just throw it all directly into a crockpot as it takes only 5 minutes to do. I just eyeball the amounts.

This can be served on buns with cheese and coleslaw OR others that I know (that are avoiding breads) prefer it served over mashed potatoes. Both are equally delicious.

I made this a couple of days after my surgery last week(it is that easy) and doubled the amount to give to a friend who had cancer surgery the day after me. It served my family for 2 nights and also hers for at least 2 meals....AND it was relatively inexpensive.
gabriola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gabriola For This Useful Post:
charla (09-10-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
charla
Administrator

I'm trying the chicken tacos tonight. That was really easy to throw into the slow cooker.

SonshineMama, several of those recipe links mention having to do something the last 30 minutes of the cook time. Do you do it that way? Or do you think I can just dump it all at the beginning? I don't have time to wait 30 minutes since we are getting home at 7 pm and everyone is already so hungry.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
I'm trying the chicken tacos tonight. That was really easy to throw into the slow cooker.

SonshineMama, several of those recipe links mention having to do something the last 30 minutes of the cook time. Do you do it that way? Or do you think I can just dump it all at the beginning? I don't have time to wait 30 minutes since we are getting home at 7 pm and everyone is already so hungry.
Usually I have *someone* home to do it cuz we have 5 different schedules and the house is rarely empty but if I did not I’d toss it in before I left but after it had cooked a few hours. I think I’d also throw a bit extra water in to keep it from getting too thick.. . But I think my crockpot cooks fast

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
charla (09-11-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post

How did it go? My family adores the chicken tacos and we have very picky people. We have tried tons and tons of crockpot meals and few get repeated

Old 09-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #13
charla
Administrator

It was so easy and so good. We are eating leftovers for lunch today.

We don't repeat very many crockpot meals either. They either don't have enough flavor or the texture is off.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-16-2019), tempus vernum (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I use my crock pot at least once a week. I stink at making freezer meals, but I've found keeping components on hand that can just be tossed into the crock pot works for me - things like frozen peppers and onions, ro-tel tomatoes, Thai curry paste, and canned coconut milk plus an abundance of herbs and spices in the pantry. I like cream cheese for creamy sauces over canned cream of . . . soups.

This morning I tossed a roast in the crock pot with a can of ro-tel tomatoes, a bag of pepper and onion stir-fry blend, some chili powder, and a mix of other tex-mex spices. The last time I did that, it was devoured, but we'll see.

ETA: I also soak beans in large batches (when I remember!) and keep them in the freezer. They can then just be tossed into the crock pot frozen for chili and similar dishes.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (09-12-2018), Quiteria (01-16-2019)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

GF ravioli was on sale today. My kids are newly on dairy (a few months now) and have never had ravioli, so I'm making Italian beef to go with it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (09-12-2018), knitlove (09-12-2018)