Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #151
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about coconut oil

kawani coconut oil has been the ONLY thing to work on my youngest's eczema (that and taking CLO).

But it wasn't until allison mentioned using it as her facial moisturizer that I decided to clather some on and it feels lovely. I have very oily acne prone skin but I'm tired of paying for pricey but chemical laden stuff. So several weeks ago I started washing my face with honey and now I'm putting coconut oil as a moisurizer.

Oh and I too tried scrambling some eggs in half butter half coconut oil and the taste was not tooo overpowering.

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #152
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

We've been using coconut oil for the past few weeks now and we're loving it.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #153
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #154
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

So I finally purchased some coconut oil yesterday....and now I need to read back throught the thread to see all the ways I can use it!
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #155
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh another thing I just realized when Iw as using it... usually when I put stuff on my face, I usually skip my lips and eyes. With the CO I can put it on both (eyelids I mean) and my lips are ALWAYS chapped and dry so the CO is awesome for them!
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #156
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysmh
I seem to remember seeing a recipe on here recently that was raw and had coconut oil and cocoa powder (??) and maybe something else, made into some kind of raw candy like thing. It sounded good and I meant to write it down, but forgot.

Ring a bell, anyone?
that would be me. http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...topic=132555.0
Ooh yay. Thanks!

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #157
made4more
Rose Garden

made4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielle
kawani coconut oil has been the ONLY thing to work on my youngest's eczema (that and taking CLO).

But it wasn't until allison mentioned using it as her facial moisturizer that I decided to clather some on and it feels lovely. I have very oily acne prone skin but I'm tired of paying for pricey but chemical laden stuff. So several weeks ago I started washing my face with honey and now I'm putting coconut oil as a moisurizer.

Oh and I too tried scrambling some eggs in half butter half coconut oil and the taste was not tooo overpowering.
ooh, oily acne prone skin- that's totally me. but I have dry skin on my nose- figure that out. I'm SOOOOO doing this!

made4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #158
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

my skin was 'combination' before coconut oil, and now its smooth and lovely all the way around.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #159
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some coconut oil today. We'll see how it works out.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #160
made4more
Rose Garden

made4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison In TX
my skin was 'combination' before coconut oil, and now its smooth and lovely all the way around.
ty! I want some! I think I'm going to have to start selling some things to buy this stuff! I'm all excited to start eating healthy. is it funny? I'm so sick and tired being .. well sick and tired. I'm ready to take control

made4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #161
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #162
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Living and Loving..Against the Stream

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

My Nutiva CO came today I opened the jar and got soooo excited at the incredible nutty aroma that drifted from the container. It was rock hard from its travels here in a cold UPS truck, so I scraped some out with a spoon to taste it...YUMMMMM! It was what I had hoped for with the TT CO! It was nutty tasting...and my DH even loved the taste.

By dinner time it was much softer and so I used it as butter on my sprouted grain bagle...OH WOW! TEN times better than butter! Then after dinner and bathing the kiddos, I slathered my little eczema infested booger boy down from head to toe...I can't wait to see how his skin feels in the morning! I could not believe how the oil soaked in right away and did not leave my hands feeling greasy nor heavy!!!! I LOVE the fact that I can slather him, not have it burn and have it so natural and yummy, that kissing him after he has been slathered is a sweeeeeet experience and tastes good

Tomorrow I am altering my wipes solution and replacing the vegetable glycerin with CO instead My mom LOVES it already as well and has agreed to go in 1/2 with me and buy a gallon of it

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)
My Little Loves:לוחם (Warrior 2001) ~ אוֹמֶץ (Heart 2005) ~ אש (Fire 2007)

My Photography Blog:Red Door Photography
My Natural Living Page:Against the Stream
Ima LeShalosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #163
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 AM   #164
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison In TX
Oh, I forgot to mention... CO is ALL I use on my face. I wash my face with it per these instructions (except instead of her olive oil/castor oil/essential oil mixture, I just scoop out a bit of CO with my damp washcloth) from Sara at www.walkslowlylivewildly.com :

Quote:
As for face washing routines…I use the oil method. I’m sure many of you have heard of it or use the same thing. Basically, you wash your face with oil…because oil dissolves oil. It’s the best face cleansing “system” I’ve ever used…and I’ve tried MANY. My skin is acne prone and oily and this really helps to keep blackheads under control. Here is how you do it:

* Combine 1 part extra virgin olive oil (organic is best because pesticides are concentrated in fats) to 1 part castor oil and add whatever essential oils you want. I like tea tree oil and lavender. Store it in an airtight glass container. If your skin is super oil, you may want to increase the amount of castor oil…to keep it lighter.
* Tie all your hair back and have a wash cloth handy. Pour a liberal amount of the oil mixture into your hand and then start massaging it onto your face. Think of it as a mini-facial. Massage the oil into your skin for 30 seconds - 1 minute.
* Wet the wash cloth with STEAMING hot water. Ring it out and lay it on your face. When it cools, do it again. And again. You’re steaming out the impurities. Just be sure to make the water as hot as you can stand. Sometimes I’ll just sit on the bathroom floor with the wash cloth on my face and enjoy my facial.
* Rinse the wash cloth out and use it to wipe the oil off of your face. Be sure to get all of it…especially on the jaw and hairline. This is the part that exfoliates…your skin will be silky smooth!
* Splash more hot water on your face and pat dry.
* Use extra moisturizer after your done if you want…you can just use a small drop of the oil and rub it in your hands and then on your face as well.

I was hesitant to use this at first because I thought it would make my face more oily, but it doesn’t at all. It’s wonderful and my skin is amazingly soft and glowing. It does take more time and energy, but it’s worth it.
and my complexion has never been so clear!
MaybeGracie (07-23-2011)
Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #165
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I cooked my egg with it this morning & I can't taste it. I put the leftover from the spoon all over my hands.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote