Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #181
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice
Default Re: Talk to me about coconut oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMom
Do those of you who don't like CO on your skin have dry/sensitive skin? I do, and I felt like the CO just sat there on my skin. I wasn't crazy about it.

CO is the greatest ever for "the spin" though.
"The spin"? Do I want to know?

Yeah, I have chronically dry skin. My hands routinely crack and bleed if I don't slather on a thick cream every night before I go to bed. Between dealing with metal dust and jeweler's chemicals and being a germaphobe, I wash them so many times a day. I finally got in the habit of using Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion every night and my hands are softer than they've ever been. It's not an all natural product obviously, but at least my skin is finally healthy.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #182
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMom
Do those of you who don't like CO on your skin have dry/sensitive skin? I do, and I felt like the CO just sat there on my skin. I wasn't crazy about it.

CO is the greatest ever for "the spin" though.
Luke has terribly dry sensitive skin. WHen he goes outside in the cold or wind, he comes in with blothces. His skin is very very dry. It feels like sandpaper when he wakes up in the a.m.s. WHat seems to be helping since we gave up the CO is avacado oil.We do it morning and night after he brushes his teeth. Sometimes if he's been outside a lot I do it at lunch too.

AFA the "wet it first" idea as we were doing that. He would wash his face and without drying, I would smear the coconut oil on. I still do the same with the avacado oil but I've only been using it a week. so far, so good. I haven't seen it this good in a while but we have also buckled down and been strict on dairy and now coconut. I honestly think that he could just be allergic to something we haven't discovered yet or dairy and it was coincidental that the coconut oil seemed to restulted in a breakout. Our NP agrees it lookslike an allergic reaction to something so we may not be the best example of CO not working on super dry sensitive skin.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #183
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

nutiva is the good one, right?
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #184
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

yes my favorite

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #185
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysmh
Yeah, I have chronically dry skin. My hands routinely crack and bleed if I don't slather on a thick cream every night before I go to bed. Between dealing with metal dust and jeweler's chemicals and being a germaphobe, I wash them so many times a day. I finally got in the habit of using Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion every night and my hands are softer than they've ever been. It's not an all natural product obviously, but at least my skin is finally healthy.
Sounds like me, though I'm not a jeweler. The CO isn't really solving the cracks...maybe helping a little, but not enough. Burt's Bees Hand Salve is helping. I'm more than likely allergic to the Gold Bond since it's conventional.

I have tried wetting my cracked hands with bmilk before co, and that is helping reduce the redness. Also tried CO with a drop of TTO. With MRSA in the news, having red cracks on my skin is a little scary!

Now, for the coconut, I read crunchymom's little dessert post (something like yum, yum, yum), and since I didn't have the right ingredients, I tried making tiny oatmeal no-bake cookies in the freezer...now those were good! So was a bowl of oatmeal with CO and ginger and a little brown sugar....would like to have used blackstrap molasses, but was out.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #186
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

since I've been using the CO my skin has broken out really bad. I have bad acne to begin with but now it's horrible. I think I may need to stop. And I was really liking how it made my skin not so dry!
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #187
made4more
Rose Garden

made4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond repute

kawani- what kind/brand were you using?

made4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #188
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm convinced to try co. A few questions:

* has anyone tried wilderness family naturals co? how is the taste, texture? I usually do an order through azure standard and my co choices through them are wfn, spectrum and garden of life.

* what's a good price?
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #189
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleidopy
since I've been using the CO my skin has broken out really bad. I have bad acne to begin with but now it's horrible. I think I may need to stop. And I was really liking how it made my skin not so dry!
on your face or elsewhere? i don't use it on my face, just my body... what were you using before? if it was stripping your face (like proactive) you would need some time to get back in balance. but maybe it's just too heavy for you, or you need to use less - my sister stopped using any moisturizer because she would always break out. she finally got an analysis and figured out she have really dry skin at the edges of her face, and oily towards the middle. so instead of dotting her moisturizer on her chin, nose and forehead and spreading it out, she started dotting it around the edges of her face and blending it in towards the rest of her face. amazingly, it made a huge difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaka

* what's a good price?
i get nutiva from vitacost, 54 oz for about $20.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #190
poleidopy
Deactivated

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using Spectrum brand. I was using it my face, just a tiny bit rubbed on my hands then on my face. Before I just used really diluted Dr. Bronners to wash & nothing to moisturize (Hadn't found anything that didn't make me break out. ) ANd I think I have combo skin. It's like, oily but really flaky at the same time. I've been brushing too and that makes a little difference (my skin, of course ) but not enough. My face is so totally broke out..it hasn't been this bad in years. I even wore makeup for the second time in a year just to try and cover it up. Ick.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #191
poleidopy
Deactivated

OK, another question. I am in the middle (OK, more toward the beginning ) of a juice fast. I was wondering (I think I asked before but I don't recall if anyone answered) I want to make a pina colada tasting drink (pineapple juice, coconut, maybe I'll add some OJ too.) If I add CO, will it make it taste like one or will the oil just make it all icky?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #192
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you will taste much of the oil in that type of a drink..if you want a pina colada taste I would use some coconut milk too

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #193
poleidopy
Deactivated

Hmm, Is there such thing as coconut creme without added sugar? I don't know how to go about getting fresh coconut milk. All my books say you need "young" coconuts, and they are white, but I've never seen one.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #194
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

I just buy coconut milk in a can. it isn't sweetened. to my knowledge it is just fine...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 01-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #195
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think coconut cream usually had sugar added. It's just the liquid pressed out of the coconut flesh, and is naturally a little bit sweet. I've seen cans of pseudo coconut cream, sold for mixing drinks, and it's full of additives and strange stuff, but you can get cans of pure coconut cream at Kroger.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote