Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute
Default A List of FREE Comprehensive Curricula

Many of the curricula I'm going to list here have been discussed in depth at GCM, but I haven't found any list of curricula and only curricula. I am focusing on curricula that cover all subjects for a given year. I have a list of preschool and pre-K curricula in the Lesson Plans forum under Educating Our Children, BTW.

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: The Kindergarten Curriculum

http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/de...n/kindergarten

Years Covered: K.

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? No.

Distinguishing Features: The curriculum is written in Greek. It combines the topics of an old-fashioned, low-pressure K curriculum with first lessons in the Greek language and in Greek Orthodox church practice. For Greek speakers only!

Additional Cost: I honestly have no idea. A Greek speaker I am not.

Gentle? I didn't see any of the usual suspects mentioned on the archdiocese website, but I don't know whether there are Orthodox child trainers, so. If you're interested in Greek immersion for a very young student, this curriculum may be worth a look.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.

Last edited by jenny_islander; 12-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
rosesnsnails (12-03-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A List of FREE Comprehensive Curricula

Sub

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

A Homeschool Curriculum for Preschool and Kindergarten by Lillian Jones

http://www.besthomeschooling.org/art..._ps_kdgtn.html

Years Covered: Pre-K and K.

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? Explicitly, no.

Distinguishing Features: Written in response to research suggesting that academic subjects are not good for young brains, this curriculum teaches the basics of life through including a child in the daily life of the family, with occasional special excursions such as getting up early to see the moon.

Additional Cost: Minimal to moderate, depending on which curriculum suggestions you decide to use.

Gentle? Very.

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

St. Thomas School Free Curriculum by Dr. Jean Rioux and Maria Rioux

http://www.scribd.com/collections/32...ree-Curriculum

Years Covered: K-12.

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? Notes on how many times each subject should be covered per week and checklists of book selections to be read are included.

Distinguishing Features: Written from a Catholic perspective, this curriculum incorporates "living books . . . with a classical perspective." "Living books" is a Charlotte Mason term (see below). Higher grades incorporate portions of a great books curriculum, using primary sources to teach certain subjects and scheduling monthly book seminars.

Additional Cost: Moderate to high, depending on whether you can find the required books--lots and lots of books!--used or not.

Gentle? The usual suspects were not listed, but I don't know much about punitive Catholic teachers, so.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.

Last edited by jenny_islander; 12-02-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

Ambleside Online

http://amblesideonline.org/

Years Covered: K-11

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? Each year includes suggestions for how frequently each topic should be studied each week.

Distinguishing Features: This is a Charlotte Mason curriculum through an American Protestant lens. For those who don't already know, Charlotte Mason in a nutshell is, "A child's mind is not a game of Tetris." (Of course, there's a lot more to it than that.) This educator argued all her life against what has become the conventional wisdom in education in the English-speaking world, the assumptions that underlie carefully organized lesson plans with pieces of information presented in sequence in textbooks. Children, Mason said, can abstract ideas from context on their own and synthesize them to form a comprehensive understanding of a topic without someone pointing out every step they are supposed to take. Furthermore, she asserted that a well written storybook or personal account is much more engaging than an outline of facts. Therefore, Mason recommended what she called "living books" whenever possible, instead of textbooks.

Additional Cost: Moderate. Depending on which books and equipment you choose, you may find yourself spending quite a bit of money on certain subjects. However, suggestions for tight budgets or families living abroad are included for each year. Many of the suggested books can be read online for free and shorter books may be checked out from your public library.

Gentle? Mason took some corporal punishment for granted, but was against a punitive mindset. People have combined AO with the likes of Tripp and Pearl and also with GOYB and grace-based parenting. It's up to you.

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

An Old-Fashioned Education by Miss Maggie

http://oldfashionededucation.com/

Years Covered: 1-12.

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? Weekly schedules for grades 1-11 are available.

Distinguishing Features: Another Charlotte Mason-style curriculum, this one organizes an enormous database of etexts from relatively modern school textbooks to the transcribed journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The viewpoint is modern American conservative Christianity.

Additional Cost: Minimal, by design. Books must be purchased for some subjects.

Gentle? The usual suspects are not mentioned on Miss Maggie's various sites. For what it's worth, she links to the Prairie Homemaker forum, which disavows the Pearls on several bases that have been cited here at GCM--but not on the basis of baby whipping.

Last edited by jenny_islander; 12-02-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
passionatemom
Rose Bouquet

I am a work in progress.

passionatemom is just really nicepassionatemom is just really nicepassionatemom is just really nicepassionatemom is just really nicepassionatemom is just really nice

subbing - free stuff rocks!

We homeschool, cosleep, and do "extended" breastfeeding

Wife to Dan since 6/04
Mama to Emmett 12/2007, ASD, SPD, just as passionate as his Mama!
And Jasper 5/2011, self-appointed "ball" boy (small ) Jasper is a mix of spunk and mellowness.

INTP - "I should infinitely prefer a book." - Pride and Prejudice
passionatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

The Puritans' Home School Curriculum, by J. Parnell McCarter

http://www.puritans.net/curriculum/

Years Covered: Preschool through college prep.

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? No. Checklists for subjects and reading selections are provided.

Distinguishing Features: Designed to present a strict Reformed viewpoint and produce children who are functionally young adults at 13.

Additional Cost: Moderate if the numerous free books (many developed for this curriculum) are read from the monitor.

Gentle? Explicitly, no. "The rod" as a whipping instrument, with the associated ritual of a loving explanation of the impending pain, is recommended in the curriculum handbook, and the booklists include such items as Wisdom and the Millers and Bob Jones University publications. If you agree with the rest of the underlying philosophy, you will have to revise the booklist extensively in order to use this curriculum in a gentle way.

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

Higher Up and Further In (AKA Charlotte Mason Help), by Linda Johnson

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/p/...urriculum.html

Warning for people with slower older computers or connections: Each page you click in this site will open in its own tab.

Years Covered: K-11 with suggestions for preschool.

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? Weekly schedules are provided for K-11.

Distinguishing Features: Another Charlotte Mason curriculum, with a Christian viewpoint not explicitly tied to any denomination. The developer describes her goal as a homeschooling parent like this: "To raise children who are passionately in love with God and who are able to relate the gospel of the Kingdom to the many, rather than the few."

Additional Cost: Fairly high; most of the suggested books must be purchased. (Johnson says that she started with the Ambleside Online curriculum and, among other things, replaced some older, free books with more "up to date" choices.)

Gentle? The booklists include Wisdom and the Millers and other books that matter-of-factly talk about spanking, hot saucing, etc. However, this may be explained as part of the general Charlotte Mason philosophy of presenting otherwise good books with the bad bits unfiltered. Or not. Johnson doesn't cite any current experts on any side of the discipline debate by name.

Last edited by jenny_islander; 12-02-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
fireweedmama
Rose Trellis

Micah 6:8

fireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond repute

Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

Mater Amabilis, by Dr. Kathryn Faulkner and Michele Quigley

http://materamabilis.org/ma/

Years Covered: Preschool to 8th grade (Years 1-9).

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? Lesson plan ideas for selected subjects and notes on how often each subject is to be studied each week are included for each level (1-2 years).

Distinguishing Features: Another Charlotte Mason curriculum, so there are lots and lots of books. Contains options for both U.S. and U.K. families. Written from a Catholic perspective.

Additional Cost: Moderate to high depending on which books are chosen; most are still in copyright and may or may not be available used.

Gentle? I didn't see any of the usual subjects on the site for this curriculum. However, I am not completely up to speed on Catholic punitive teachers.

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Easy Peasy All-In-One Homeschool

http://allinonehomeschool.wordpress.com/

Years Covered: Preschool ("Getting Ready 1") to 8th grade. The author is working on higher grades.

Lesson Plans/Schedules Included? Detailed daily lesson plans are included for all levels.

Distinguishing Features: Intended for families with very tight budgets and families living overseas, this is essentially a stripped-down virtual school. Each day's lesson plan includes instructions for the student, guidelines for the adult or older child helper, and links to free online lessons from all corners of the Web. The lessons are brief so that children of multiple ages can share one computer and still get all of their work done. Written from a modern American conservative Protestant perspective.

Additional Cost: Minimal. By design, no books whatsoever need be purchased. Some printing is required. Additional supplies needed are basic back-to-school items.

Gentle? I couldn't find any discussion of child training, but I didn't read every blog entry or lesson on this massive site. If you find otherwise, please post here!

---------

This is all I could find for curricula that provide clear directions for all subjects for one or more years, level K or higher, for free. If you find anything else in this category, please feel free to post it here.

Last edited by jenny_islander; 12-05-2012 at 08:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (12-07-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
ozmummy
Rose Garden

In the beautiful National Park...

ozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond reputeozmummy has a reputation beyond repute

Is simplycharlottemason free?

Keiren not Leiren or Reiren or Helren !

*attempting the gentle mothering life in Australia*
Single mum to
Squirrelboy- 13
Girlygirl - 10
Horace - 7
Boris - 6

Card carrying member of the

INFP
ozmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmummy View Post
Is simplycharlottemason free?
No, but they do include a valuable free chart for coordinating lessons in a multi-age classroom here: http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/

There are other useful freebies there, including some of Charlotte Mason's own writing. However, mostly SCM sells handbooks and organizers for use with a Charlotte Mason curriculum, and you have to pay for their core textbooks and lesson plans.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

http://allinonehomeschool.wordpress.com/

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote