Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling something you're *supposed* to keep forever

I'm thinking about selling my wedding china. It's beautiful, fairly neutral (white and silver) and I love it. But:

-It's very formal and I've hardly had the occasion to use it. We're not really dinner party people, and if we do have friends over it's pretty casual.
-When I do use it, everything has to be hand-washed. Which discourages me from ever using for big special meals, because the last thing I want to do after cooking all day is spend hours washing dishes.
-I don't have the space for it. I sold my china cabinet already. In order to keep it, I will need to pack it in boxes and find somewhere to stick them until at least after we move (and who knows when that will be!).

When I got married, I was young and was used to how things went in my house growing up. My mom always had nice china for holidays and special occasions and I just assumed I would too. So I registered for it and ended up with a big set (at least 10 of everything) but no everyday dishes. Right now, we are using plain white Correlle for everyday, and there is only six of each thing. It works for now.

Back then, I didn't realize that I would take a more practical, minimalist turn. (I don't have the stereotypical streamlined modern aesthetic, but being uncluttered and only keeping what I need has become pretty important to our lives in order for me to feel like I can manage everything.)

Even still, I'm feeling about this decision. Am I going to regret it? Does anybody else have a story about getting rid of something you're supposed to keep forever?
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling something you're *supposed* to keep forever

Is it dishwasher safe, so you could start using it for every day? If I could, I would just use it every day and enjoy it. If not, I think I agree that I would sell it and never miss it.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
Is it dishwasher safe, so you could start using it for every day? If I could, I would just use it every day and enjoy it. If not, I think I agree that I would sell it and never miss it.
No it's not. But I DID do this with my nice stainless silverware! We now use it everyday and I sold off the cheaper stuff at a garage sale.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Even the fact that I'm leaning toward selling the china kind of shocks me. A few years ago I would have never, ever considered such a thing. I'm scared this is a phase and that I will regret it. I'm also scared (or maybe feeling prideful) to let go of my "refinements". We don't have a fancy house or a lot of expensive stuff, so getting rid of most of our "extras" could make me feel less classy and more "poor". Haha, which is ridiculous! But I'm just being honest.

This article is what really got me thinking about this: http://www.missminimalist.com/2011/0...-fantasy-self/

The Following User Says Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
Tandem mama (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I have my aunt's old china and never use it. I don't even like it. I do have room to store it, but that's the only reason I keep it.

to see what you decide.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

If you are nervous about it set it aside for 3-6 months and if you have no need for it during that time frame sell it.

FWIW, I didn't even register for china b/c I choose to live very casually. The woman helping us with the registry kept pushing it and I kept telling her no. 12 years later and I still have not yet had a need for fancy china.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Jessica
Climbing Rose

Jessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond reputeJessica has a reputation beyond repute

I would sell it. I'm pretty casual and didn't even register for china, though.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Could you keep one place setting for display and sell the rest? Or two place settings and use it on your anniversary?
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
Could you keep one place setting for display and sell the rest? Or two place settings and use it on your anniversary?
I really like this idea, if you have 10 place settings then you can keep two and still have enough to sell.

I dont think you will miss it. I think you will feel relieved.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Tengokujin (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

Eeek! I just listed it on Craigslist, so we'll see if it sells!

I think I'm ready to let it go. I think.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
cro (05-08-2012), PrincessAnika (05-08-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-08-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for ReadingMommy:
PrincessAnika (05-08-2012), rosesnsnails (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I really dislike china, so, I say sell.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

I have my mom's silver from her wedding to my dad and ancient crystal and various serving pieces. I never use them, but have held on to them for sentimental reasons. But I may just sell them.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think I'm ready to let it go. I think.
I hope it sells well and you feel peace about it. Mine is still wrapped in paper, in a box and it is our 26th anniversary next week. I *think* I have used it once.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

Flylady would say that if it isn't blessing your home, then let it go.

People who gave it to you wanted you to have something you wanted (that's why they followed the registry). So I say get something you actually want.
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MaiMama For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-12-2012), Damselfly (05-08-2012), PrincessAnika (05-08-2012), Rabbit (05-08-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
Calliope
Rose Garden

Calliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it until your kids are old enough to wash the dishes for you on holidays.
and BabyG homebirth'd homeboy - 3
Awaiting reunion with Ruby Elizabeth born 17w 6d - 1/28/10

Agent Romance
Saving the world, one bedroom at a time!!

Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calliope For This Useful Post:
Macky (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Truly, I can't think of anything more horrific than someone saying, "Here, have something breakable you don't care about, but you SHOULD care about, and keep it through moves and children and reorganizing for years and years without shattering it. Cheers!!"

Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (06-29-2012), Damselfly (05-08-2012), Lily (05-08-2012), mamaeffie (05-08-2012), PrincessAnika (05-08-2012), RubySlippers (05-08-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-08-2012), WanderingJuniper (05-09-2012)